Player Watch #3: Dion Prestia

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft - Nathan Brown was traded for at the end of 2008. We have drafted quite a few decent players since then and have had a number of first round picks since then.
If talking trade , we have had the opportunity to trade for every player who has made themselves available for trade since then.

We traded pick 6 and 20 for Nathan Brown in 2003. He retired at the end of 2009.

Lazy Dickie.
Jaidyn Stephenson, followed by Hunter Clark and Nic Coffield. You'd be happy with any of them. But they wouldn't be ready for a year or two, by then who knows. Of course there are arguments both way. Happy the way 2017 panned out I guess is the final answer.
that was this year...
the pick for Prestia was the 2016 draft

Name a good player we have drafted since Nathan Brown. I can't think of one who is in the Prestia category... he is no Nathan Brown.
Of course every side can trade and draft, but we haven't. So when a player like Prestia comes along, especially one who wants to play specifically for us, you have to grab them unless they are asking for a Treloar like deal.
Rance, Cotchin, Martin and Reiwoldt for a starters go alright .

as mentioned in the Sir Loin, meant to say traded not drafted.
Simmonds, Maric , Grigg , Houli come to mind instantly as traded in players who have had more impact at the club to date whilst Cousins and Yarran were probably as equal in profile prior to joining . Admittedly both had clouds over their ability to have prolonged careers . Somewhat as Prestia did re his knee.

Last edited:
Simmonds, Maric , Grigg , Houli come to mind instantly as traded in players who have had more impact at the club to date .
How can one have more of an influence than another when winning a flag.:rolleyes:

Jack Scrimshaw is the player Gold Coast got with the pick we traded. He played 4 games this year. The other player we could have taken was Will Brodie who managed 3 games.
Personally I couldn’t care less who we could have gotten with pick 6 or whether they become stars. We won a flag by trading that pick and acquiring Dion Prestia who contributed greatly to us winning a premiership, something I was beginning to think I’d never ever see at the ground live.
Was the greatest day ever to be at the G that day, something I’ll treasure for ever.
Love Dion, Josh and big Toby for what they contributed to that day. If Scrimshaw or whoever becomes a star, who cares in my book

The way i see it it was not #6 for Prestia

It was #6 (2016) + #38 (2017) + #60 (2016) for
Prestia + Caddy + Graham

Without Prestia we wouldnt have got Caddy and without the Caddy deal we wouldnt have had the upgrade to get Graham so it was all tied to the Prestia Deal

Prestia,Caddy,Graham all played their part in winning the 2017 Premiership

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I couldn’t care less who we could have gotten with pick 6 or whether they become stars. We won a flag by trading that pick and acquiring Dion Prestia who contributed greatly to us winning a premiership, something I was beginning to think I’d never ever see at the ground live.
Was the greatest day ever to be at the G that day, something I’ll treasure for ever.
Love Dion, Josh and big Toby for what they contributed to that day. If Scrimshaw or whoever becomes a star, who cares in my book
If you don't agree with that then it's time to hang up the boots.

It’s a stupid view. No Prestia no flag.
Agree. Recruiting Prestia a master stroke, as was how conditioning stuff managed him through the year. You will always give up something significant when offer up high first round draft pick in a trade. What’s the alternative...don’t trade. If we had elected to go down that path we wouldn’t have won a flag in 2017. Give credit where credit is due and don’t spend the next 10 years speculating on what we could have received for pick 6 in most recent draft.

Prestia + Caddy + Graham

Without Prestia we wouldnt have got Caddy and without the Caddy deal we wouldnt have had the upgrade to get Graham so it was all tied to the Prestia Deal

Correct...

Simmonds, Maric , Grigg , Houli come to mind instantly as traded in players who have had more impact at the club to date whilst Cousins and Yarran were probably as equal in profile prior to joining . Admittedly both had clouds over their ability to have prolonged careers . Somewhat as Prestia did re his knee.

Simmonds!?!? Refer to my avatar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As it turns out it it's not even pick 6. More like pick 10 (after the second round swaps - in which Prestia himself helped lower the value of our 2017 second rounder!).

However I wonder if we had taken a kid with pick 6..... would anyone here have thought they might have contributed 16 disposals, 3 tackles, 3 goals and nullifying the oppositions best player for half a game......... IN THE GRAND FINAL. Just quietly.....I say we got our pick 6.

I just think we got our cake and got to eat it too. :) and it tasted good.
It turned out to be pick 7 in 2016 and pick 38 in 2017 for Prestia and Caddy. We would have drafted Jack Scrimshaw if we'd kept pick 6 (which became pick 7 after GWS matched for Setterfield), and we wouldn't have Prestia, Caddy, or a premiership.

theflea is right, you have to look at the whole created by the sum of the parts. "The Roar Is Back" has nothing to worry about, Prestia is 25 and will give us several good to excellent years.

Prestia + Caddy + Graham

Yeah, I should have read on.

prestia had agreed to come to rfc a long time out the suns knew and we had an agreement on our first round pick thinking we would make finals like the 3 years previous so the suns were determined for that pick even after the s**t that was our 2016 year. without dion we don't get caddy without caddy and dion we dont get the pick to draft graham who will probably be a future rfc skipper

also without dion and caddy cotch doesn't get back to his absolute best and dusty doesn't have enough free reign to bitch the league as much as he did our game plan doesn't work as well without caddy playing as a second leading forward until townsend comes in the side

was dion poor for a lot of the year yes he was but thats to be expected with no proper pre season in years and carrying the knee niggle and ankle but he got better as the year went on and had a dominant final series is a gun player and makes us a much better side and was rewarded with a premiership medal everyone laughed at him when he told the afl world im going to richmond and that we would play finals in 2017 everyone thought he should of chosen carlton or hawthorn or melbourne but he was right

as for arguing he isn't one of our best trades ever that is complete and utter bullshit he is easily a better trade then simmonds/stafford and so many more as for is he a better trade then grigg and houli they should be rated similar they are trades that helped us win a flag. also mullet is a big part of it that bloke turned our culture around

Last edited:

Prestia + Caddy + Graham

Very close, it finished up being:
Prestia + Caddy + #53 (Jack Graham)
for
#7 (Jack Scrimshaw), #26 (Brandan Parfitt), #38 (Jack Petruccelle), and #60 (Quinton Narkle)

We don't win the flag if we didn't have Prestia and Caddy in the side.
His people can still question if we overpaid for him has me stuffed.

They can because this is an internet forum and like any anonymous forum anyone can spout shite and express their outrage either because they need to have their own view reinforced due to some mental deficiency or they love the great Australian tradition of shitstirring.

They can because this is an internet forum and like any anonymous forum anyone can spout shite and express their outrage either because they need to have their own view reinforced due to some mental deficiency or they love the great Australian tradition of shitstirring.

it's not as anonymous as you might think.

That's the whole point that some of these posters miss...our window was ready...we rolled the dice...F**k just ask Mrs Hardwick...
I was more ECO after the 2016 on field season. I thought our run of finals campaigns was over for a while. I underestimated the effect of the off field changes. I thought the addition of Balme and Blake was great but that it would take time. I didn't take the 20% salary cap increase into account when considering players signing new deals at the start of 2017. I thought Prestia could have been in for a year like OMaera had. Taking a long time to get fit. Lucky Peggy & Benny knew what was going on. Lucky Dan Richardson did well at the trade table, lucky Hardwick & Cotch reinvented themselves. Lucky Dusty had a GOAT year. & as we are talking about Prestia, improved as the year went on. And who'd a thought he'd be such a good finals player. The name of the game is winning premierships. So good as any previous trades been, Nank/Caddy/Prestia go to the top of the table cos they brought us a flag. And in terms of values of the trades: Nank=Caddy=Prestia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back