Health Do pensioners and poor people really eat pet food?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is an age old urban tale with some truth to it but not as ghastly or expensive as it sounds.

Many years ago butchers sold ''pet bones'' which were near give-aways. Instead of spending on better cuts of meat some people got the pet bones and boiled them up for soups or stews to provide some flavour

Mince came in different grades and the cheapest used to be for cats and dogs to mix into the dry etc , pensioners would buy those ''for the cat'' and use it themselves.

So the idea of buying a can of PAL to eat can be seen to be false , yet its what we NOW associate with pet food.

I don't know. Some people might not be able to afford the electricity and gas to cook with some peoples ability to budget and save. Retirement is bleak for some.

It's not particularly cheap compared to human foods. A head of lettuce, a sack of potatoes, a bag of rice, all very cheap human foods which are very cheap and a lot healthier than picking up a can of PAL.

Surely this is a myth?
It definitely used to happen. Not so much now, because pet food is as expensive as some meat intended for human consumption.
And, yes, as said above it was much more things like "pet mince" in place of mince; or some of the nasty bits intended for dogs (offal, etc) being used, rather than tinned pet food.

I sometimes buy processed meat for my dog. Not for meals or anything, just as something to cut up into little cubes as a treat. Without fail the product for humans (polony, fritz, stras - whatever each state calls it) is always cheaper than the one for dogs.

Making a batch of pet food (mince, rice/pasta, mixed frozen veges) works out cheaper (and a lot healthier) than buying tins of Pal even using ingredients which are all fit for human consumption. I don't think humans eat pet food in 2017, though they do eat a lot of processed s**t that is worse for them.

85 cents for a can of tuna

I used to make a giant lot of satay which would feed me (im 193cm and 100 kilos as well) for about 2.80 a meal. When i was single and living by myself.

If you were really s**t at cooking, a pack of 24 sausages 8 dollar woolies sausages and buy a bag of a kilo apples for 3 bucks. if your struggling. suddenly 3 sausages, apples, and you could even go all out, maybe some peas/corn frozen packs, or tomato sauce.

My nana had no money and lived off the pension only for her last 10 years or so and never ate pet food. Money was super tight since it was only about $400 a week and she had to pay rent on a granny flat, but she ate a lot of cereal for breakfast, basic sandwiches for lunch (e.g. tuna and lettuce), and things like frozen fish and veggies for dinner

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They don't know how to cook, I can make 5 lunches (chicken Salad) for work for $15... $3 a meal, you can't get much cheaper!
Hey pal. When I was at Uni, I could make two loaves of bread and a 24 pack of cheese last me 5 days. Toast with cheese for breakfast, cheese sandwiches for lunch, toasted cheese sandwiches for dinner. When I couldn't afford cheese I ate mayonaise sandwiches. Other condiments also work. You can also live pretty well on a sack of rice and a bottle of soy sauce. Other condiments also work.

Hey pal. When I was at Uni, I could make two loaves of bread and a 24 pack of cheese last me 5 days. Toast with cheese for breakfast, cheese sandwiches for lunch, toasted cheese sandwiches for dinner. When I couldn't afford cheese I ate mayonaise sandwiches. Other condiments also work. You can also live pretty well on a sack of rice and a bottle of soy sauce. Other condiments also work.
I try an avoid carbs for cutting, thanks for the tip though

My parents next door neighbour has a whole heap of Chum cans in his granny flat but he doesn't have any pets nor do anyone else who live on the property. He's a weird but a really nice bloke but he definitely eats dog food for sure... I don't really comment on it nor find it funny as he is really struggling and has no family at all. Grew up with him as a neighbour and never caused any fuss at all about my brother and I who destroyed his property doing young lad things.

Last edited:
My parents next door neighbour has a whole heap of Chum cans in his granny flat but he doesn't have any pets nor do anyone else who live on the property. He's a weird but a really nice bloke but he definitely eats dog food for sure... I don't really comment on it nor find it funny as he is really struggling and has no family at all. Grew up with him as a neighbour and never caused any fuss at all about my brother and I who destroyed his property doing young lad things.
The dogfood thing is sensationalist bullshit.

It's not particularly cheap compared to human foods. A head of lettuce, a sack of potatoes, a bag of rice, all very cheap human foods which are very cheap and a lot healthier than picking up a can of PAL.

Surely this is a myth?
I'm a pensioner now and I've never eaten pet food in my life. These slanderous allegations make me sick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back