LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been making an effort this year to learn to use herbs and spices properly when cooking (and even in my black coffee in the morning). Already my eyes have been opened to a whole new world of flavour I was ignorant of before.

The only sauces I need now are (proper) soy sauce and a hot sauce like tabasco, I've cleared the cupboard of all the sugar-laden sauces that were full of crap ingredients.
If you do feel the need for some tomato sauce, Fountain sugar free is excellent. When one bottle is empty I get another and pour half into the empty one and add 3tsp of leggos tom paste (also an excellent sugar and preservative free product) the other half bottle add crushed chilli.

Started doing KETO 3 weeks ago and have lost 6kg already (I seriously needed to lose weight) first diet(lifestyle change) ive been on that is really easy to do, the food is great and i'm feeling awesome.

Started doing KETO 3 weeks ago and have lost 6kg already (I seriously needed to lose weight) first diet(lifestyle change) ive been on that is really easy to do, the food is great and i'm feeling awesome.
Well done.

Rule of thumb is that a habit takes 3 weeks to form, so nice start.

Had my wisdom teeth out and everyone is like "Just eat ice cream until you feel better".

Can't wait to be able to eat properly again though.

Does anyone make heavy curries (buttery, creamy stuff) as part of a keto diet? I reckon that would be a great meal.

Not that i profess to get down to Keto levels but I tend to use yoghurt or coconut cream a lot

Had my wisdom teeth out and everyone is like "Just eat ice cream until you feel better".

Does anyone make heavy curries (buttery, creamy stuff) as part of a keto diet? I reckon that would be a great meal.
I haven't but intend to start soon, will keep you posted with any recipes I go with

Yeh coconut cream green curries are great. Also love a creamed spinach made with melted down double cream or cream cheese and a pack of frozen spinach.

So I'm researching recipes here, and if I'm honest the whole high fat approach still feels wrong but I'll give it a crack for a month and see what happens.

A few questions:
- if I maintain my porridge (30g raw oats) + banana + blueberries for breakfast every morning will that prevent me from reaching a keto state?
- If I maintain my 1 day per week cheat meal (thanks to saj I think for suggesting it shouldn't be a whole day) will that set me back so far that I won't reach a keto state?
- How do I put on weight on a keto diet? Is it all about protein intake versus amount of strength training?
- I currently bake a lot of pumpkin/sweet potato to go with meals like steak, baked chicken, etc.

I guess all my questions relate to "am I going to be loading up on fats to achieve a keto state that I can't achieve because of these other things I'm doing"

So I'm researching recipes here, and if I'm honest the whole high fat approach still feels wrong but I'll give it a crack for a month and see what happens.

A few questions:
- if I maintain my porridge (30g raw oats) + banana + blueberries for breakfast every morning will that prevent me from reaching a keto state?
- If I maintain my 1 day per week cheat meal (thanks to saj I think for suggesting it shouldn't be a whole day) will that set me back so far that I won't reach a keto state?
- How do I put on weight on a keto diet? Is it all about protein intake versus amount of strength training?
- I currently bake a lot of pumpkin/sweet potato to go with meals like steak, baked chicken, etc.

I guess all my questions relate to "am I going to be loading up on fats to achieve a keto state that I can't achieve because of these other things I'm doing"

Getting into keto and staying there and how many carbs you can eat will vary from person to person. Someone may be able to eat 60g carbs and stay in keto otherwise could smell a carbohydrate and kick them out of keto (not really but you get my point)

But in my novice opinion eating 30g of oats a banana and blueberries every morning plus sweet potato at night I very much doubt you will ever be in a keto state. Even if you didn’t consume carbs all week and then had your cheat meal Saturday night it would throw you out if keto and then could take almost a week to get back there.

Putting on weight on a keto/high fat diet is like any other diet just eat more calories than you are burning off.

I know others on here will argue otherwise but from what I understand on a high fat diet if the protein intake is high the glucogenesis can occur.

Why do you want to be on a keto diet for? It doesn’t work any more magical than the next calorie restricted diet.

A few questions:

Switch the oats for scrambled eggs with mozzarella and bacon. I still eat pumpkin and sweet potato to top up glycogen stores on workout days so don't cut that out.

Living a keto lifestyle basically eliminates inflammation and leaves you at minimal risk for any metabolic diseases. Your energy is regulated and you don't have sugar highs and crashes and you burn your body fat stores if you eat at maintenance and lift weights as long as you eat about 100-200g of protein to build muscle.

Switch the oats for scrambled eggs with mozzarella and bacon. I still eat pumpkin and sweet potato to top up glycogen stores on workout days so don't cut that out.

Living a keto lifestyle basically eliminates inflammation and leaves you at minimal risk for any metabolic diseases. Your energy is regulated and you don't have sugar highs and crashes and you burn your body fat stores if you eat at maintenance and lift weights as long as you eat about 100-200g of protein to build muscle.

You burn your body fat stores if you are in calorie deficit - how you create this deficit is up to you.

100-200g of protein is a wide range. It may be enough for you but could be to much or to little for someone else.

You burn your body fat stores if you are in calorie deficit - how you create this deficit is up to you.

100-200g of protein is a wide range. It may be enough for you but could be to much or to little for someone else.
Don't necessarily need to be in deficit when you are in a ketogenic state and undergoing a recomp. This is all in my personal journey obviously everyone is different. I aim for 2g protein per lean kg of weight.

Interesting discussion between you two.

saj_21 why do I want to be on a keto diet? Because I want to know how it will make me feel. My current version of low carb and exercise has me feeling great, recovering well enough to do the gym 4-5 times a week and visibly losing fat. For the first time in my life I've (almost) got a six pack. I'm pretty happy with that, and a bit surprised at the results. The vanity stuff (which I'm happy to admit to) is pretty good, but it's the mental stuff that really matters. My energy is more constant, food tastes better, I feel more disciplined, I'm performing better at work, sleeping better etc. If I was looking much better and feeling worse (this happened when I was doing crossfit) I would stop, but I'm looking better AND feeling better, so keen to explore it more.

Ultimately - I want to continue the fat loss while increasing muscle size.

I think calorie in/calorie out is too simple, and Keto looks like a dietary approach I could try with my current training that may help me advance on both fronts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't necessarily need to be in deficit when you are in a ketogenic state and undergoing a recomp. This is all in my personal journey obviously everyone is different. I aim for 2g protein per lean kg of weight.

Explain recomp to me?

Explain recomp to me?
Eat at maintenance or slightly below and you body will metabolize your body fat as usable energy to make up for the caloric deficit. As long as you eat enough protein you will still build muscle at the same time until you need to jump to an intermediate program and will need to up the calories. I managed to drop 10% body fat whilst building 5kg of lean muscle.

I was doing stronglifts 5x5 now on madcow.

Interesting discussion between you two.

saj_21 why do I want to be on a keto diet? Because I want to know how it will make me feel. My current version of low carb and exercise has me feeling great, recovering well enough to do the gym 4-5 times a week and visibly losing fat. For the first time in my life I've (almost) got a six pack. I'm pretty happy with that, and a bit surprised at the results. The vanity stuff (which I'm happy to admit to) is pretty good, but it's the mental stuff that really matters. My energy is more constant, food tastes better, I feel more disciplined, I'm performing better at work, sleeping better etc. If I was looking much better and feeling worse (this happened when I was doing crossfit) I would stop, but I'm looking better AND feeling better, so keen to explore it more.

Ultimately - I want to continue the fat loss while increasing muscle size.

I think calorie in/calorie out is too simple, and Keto looks like a dietary approach I could try with my current training that may help me advance on both fronts.

What was your diet like before eating low carb? And training.

If you want to be in a ketosis state then you need to ditch the oats and cheat meals. I’d say with your current approach you are low carb but not enough to be in Ketosis.

As you’ve mentioned in previous threads you are losing to much weight for your liking meaning you won’t be consuming enough calories to build muscle. Unless you are coming off a sustained period of not training, being really overweight and despite being in a calorie deficit you may be able to build muscle and lose body fat.

Why is calories in and out to simple? Why makes things more complex. It really is that simple, it is for me.

I do not have an issue with going low carb or full keto each to their own. I have an issue with people thinking this diet is magic solution and that being keto is some bodyhack to losing weight.

Eat at maintenance or slightly below and you body will metabolize your body fat as usable energy to make up for the caloric deficit. As long as you eat enough protein you will still build muscle at the same time until you need to jump to an intermediate program and will need to up the calories. I managed to drop 10% body fat whilst building 5kg of lean muscle.

I was doing stronglifts 5x5 now on madcow.

Yes and you can do that whilst eating carbs to. Gaining muscle and burning bodyfat simultaneously in semi experienced trainers at already lean-ish bodyfat levels would be hard to do.

Over what period did you drop 10% body fat and gain 5kg lean muscle? How did you track those figures?

What was your diet like before eating low carb? And training.
I used to train a fair bit and eat like a pig. was never overweight because I'm lucky, but I would just snack on chocolate CONSTANTLY. Work out, think "yeah, now I can eat a big dinner" have a huge bowl of pasta. no meal was complete without a huge pile of pasta or rice. Dessert would often be a block of Lindt chocolate and then burger rings or equivalent as well. Training was whenever I could be bothered, which was pretty frequently. 2 or 3 times a week, but with fairly frequent blocks where I would get busy with life and just not go for a few weeks. Have turned all that around in the last 3 months.

If you want to be in a ketosis state then you need to ditch the oats and cheat meals. I’d say with your current approach you are low carb but not enough to be in Ketosis.
I don't even know if want to be in a ketosis state, but would like to try it. I'm motivated by trying something new and seeing how it feels, much more than I'm motivated by thinking ketosis is a sliver bullet.

As you’ve mentioned in previous threads you are losing to much weight for your liking meaning you won’t be consuming enough calories to build muscle. Unless you are coming off a sustained period of not training, being really overweight and despite being in a calorie deficit you may be able to build muscle and lose body fat.
Yep - so I'm not trying to lose weight, I'm trying to drop that last little bit of body fat while increasing my weight. I've come this far, and as acknowledged, I do need to eat more, so what do I eat more of? Carbs, protein or fat? If the answer is Protein AND fat then I'm heading towards a keto style diet anyway.

Why is calories in and out to simple? Why makes things more complex. It really is that simple, it is for me.
It's too simple because you can add muscle without fat, and lose fat without losing muscle mass. There are two different systems at play, where as calorie in/calorie out just looks at the scales and says up or down. I'm trying to understand the interplay of these two systems and how my exercise/diet interfaces with this.

I do not have an issue with going low carb or full keto each to their own. I have an issue with people thinking this diet is magic solution and that being keto is some bodyhack to losing weight.
I think anyone looking for a quick fix is a disaster in waiting. But I do fully appreciate people that are looking for some certainty on a course of action that they can apply themselves to with some confidence that they're on the right track.

Anyway - really appreciate the responses. I like being challenged on this stuff.

I used to train a fair bit and eat like a pig. was never overweight because I'm lucky, but I would just snack on chocolate CONSTANTLY. Work out, think "yeah, now I can eat a big dinner" have a huge bowl of pasta. no meal was complete without a huge pile of pasta or rice. Dessert would often be a block of Lindt chocolate and then burger rings or equivalent as well. Training was whenever I could be bothered, which was pretty frequently. 2 or 3 times a week, but with fairly frequent blocks where I would get busy with life and just not go for a few weeks. Have turned all that around in the last 3 months.

I don't even know if want to be in a ketosis state, but would like to try it. I'm motivated by trying something new and seeing how it feels, much more than I'm motivated by thinking ketosis is a sliver bullet.

Yep - so I'm not trying to lose weight, I'm trying to drop that last little bit of body fat while increasing my weight. I've come this far, and as acknowledged, I do need to eat more, so what do I eat more of? Carbs, protein or fat? If the answer is Protein AND fat then I'm heading towards a keto style diet anyway.

It's too simple because you can add muscle without fat, and lose fat without losing muscle mass. There are two different systems at play, where as calorie in/calorie out just looks at the scales and says up or down. I'm trying to understand the interplay of these two systems and how my exercise/diet interfaces with this.

I think anyone looking for a quick fix is a disaster in waiting. But I do fully appreciate people that are looking for some certainty on a course of action that they can apply themselves to with some confidence that they're on the right track.

Anyway - really appreciate the responses. I like being challenged on this stuff.

I’m a big believer in it’s what you stop eating not what you start eating.

Yep I know the feeling, when I first started getting back into fitness I tried all sorts of things. I couldn’t recommend enough just tying different things to see what works. I’ve tries the low car high fat and didn’t like it, if I didn’t try how could I comment on it.

You MAY and i say MAY be able to drop body fat and increase muscle mass but it’s very unlikely. You will need to prioritise one over the other. Likewise you can’t just add muscle without fat nor lose bodyfat without some muscle/lean body mass.

Calories in vs calories out always matters regardless of what diet you are on. Particularly if you want to lose that last bit of fat.

I’d say use the Harris benedcict formula to calculate your BMR and how many calories you are burning.

Eat 2-2.5g of protein per kg of bodyweight. Then divide the rest of your calories up from fats and carbs. Once again your need to prioritise the fat loss or muscle gain. This will determine your calorie intake. And if you want to rid yourself of the last bit of body fat you will have to curb your cheat meals.

I’m a big believer in it’s what you stop eating not what you start eating.

Yep I know the feeling, when I first started getting back into fitness I tried all sorts of things. I couldn’t recommend enough just tying different things to see what works. I’ve tries the low car high fat and didn’t like it, if I didn’t try how could I comment on it.

You MAY and i say MAY be able to drop body fat and increase muscle mass but it’s very unlikely. You will need to prioritise one over the other. Likewise you can’t just add muscle without fat nor lose bodyfat without some muscle/lean body mass.

Calories in vs calories out always matters regardless of what diet you are on. Particularly if you want to lose that last bit of fat.

I’d say use the Harris benedcict formula to calculate your BMR and how many calories you are burning.

Eat 2-2.5g of protein per kg of bodyweight. Then divide the rest of your calories up from fats and carbs. Once again your need to prioritise the fat loss or muscle gain. This will determine your calorie intake. And if you want to rid yourself of the last bit of body fat you will have to curb your cheat meals.
Still trying to get my head around certain aspects of this.

If you're saying I have to prioritise fat loss or muscle gain, then what happens if I continue doing what I"m doing (which is showing steady weight loss). Then what happens when I'm at a level of fat that I'm happy with? I prioritise muscle gain how? By going into calorie excess? And then how do I ensure I'm adding muscle and not fat? (Sorry if these seem like dumb questions).

I hear you on the cheat days. They're becoming less appealing, but still feel like an important mental crutch at the moment. They just seem like they're prolonging fat loss rather than preventing it.

Still trying to get my head around certain aspects of this.

If you're saying I have to prioritise fat loss or muscle gain, then what happens if I continue doing what I"m doing (which is showing steady weight loss). Then what happens when I'm at a level of fat that I'm happy with? I prioritise muscle gain how? By going into calorie excess? And then how do I ensure I'm adding muscle and not fat? (Sorry if these seem like dumb questions).

I hear you on the cheat days. They're becoming less appealing, but still feel like an important mental crutch at the moment. They just seem like they're prolonging fat loss rather than preventing it.

If you continue to do what you are doing you will lose some Lean body mass (LBM) which is everything other than bodyfat. For anyone not using gear this is just how the body works. The slower the weight loss the smaller loss of LBM, if you are losing significant amounts of weight week to week more likely you are losing more LBM.

Once you get down to a level of bodyfat you are happy with maintain calories or eat a small surplus to give enough energy for your muscles to grow. But once again unless you are on the gear bodyfat gain will be a part of the process.

Check out the members profile from the start of 2015, I posted my progress on there whilst training for my bodybuilding comp.

I have been doing strength training for circa 10 years. Competed in 90kg/100kg/105kg classes with Powerlifting Australia. Decided this time last year I didn't want to be 101kgs anymore. BF at the time too high (circa 27%). Cut the boozing in February, started eating cleaner, went on HFLC from around May and then keto from around September. I got bodyscans every six weeks or so throughout the process to assist with tracking and did not use gear. Last test was in December and I had got to circa 17% BF @ 91kg. This involved putting on 3kg of muscle during the course of the year whilst losing bodyfat - my training didn't change, just my diet. I am currently at circa 88kg and probably close to 15% BF. The muscle gain didn't really start until the HFLC diet commenced. So in summary, I put on muscle whilst losing fat and not using gear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back