Non-Lions Footy Season (2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Uh youre 17/18...honestly how many here are still besties with your mates from your teen years. Majority of people/mates I have friended on FB from school years are in totally different cliques... Careers, life style choices etc naturally move people around. Literally most of this happens a few months out from school.
I think it's a cop out to suggest every single player who leaves their club is saying it's friends based reasons. Kids these days... In saying that though a club has to provide reasons for someone to stay.

Did you hold this opinion when the go home five off-season was unfolding? I don't think it is ridiculous at all. Adelaide drafted him with a high pick, rehabbed him after his ACL and then he walks out to be with mates in Melbourne. How is a team supposed to be successful if they lose players simply because they want to be with mates?

The fact Adelaide are perennial contenders is a huge compliment to their organisation, they've lost more players than us. But that does not mean 18 year old should become pseudo free-agents the moment they start missing their local $10 parma and pot specials.
I was disappointed/pissed off when the GH5 left but that was a reflection the club and leadership rather than the 5 players themselves. Of those 5 I reckon most of them would have stayed if they’d been drafted in the last year or 2.

People leave employers all the time, footballers are no different and the childish reaction supporters have is laughable at times.

I think some people hold female footballers in their first year as semi-professionals to an unfair standard.
I think paying female “footballers” at all is the real concern. Are we all entitled to our opinions on AFLW or would you like to give me a list of what opinions I can hold?

I was disappointed/pissed off when the GH5 left but that was a reflection the club and leadership rather than the 5 players themselves. Of those 5 I reckon most of them would have stayed if they’d been drafted in the last year or 2.

People leave employers all the time, footballers are no different and the childish reaction supporters have is laughable at times.

It isn't the same. If you paid the average worker 500k I would imagine the employer would have very different expectations of their employee and not expect them to walk out to be closer to family as soon as they could. Or if they were planning this, they would probably expect you would tell them before you took the job. Nor would there likely be people lining up to offer this worker top dollar. You cannot equte AFL football to real world experience in my view because the average person does not get the perks or money that come with being a professional athlete (or the downs either, to be fair). The expectations are completely different.

If a player has given good service and decides to leave a club that happens, in the same way some young players might have legitimate reasons for a leaving a club. But is it really acceptable to collect a paycheck for two years from a club and then walk out citing wanting to have dinner with mates as a reason? In a national competition this has to be looked at. I don't know what the solution is but I don't think it is childish to expect a player to give the club some service before walking out on them, particularly when they demand a trade to one club only.

I think paying female “footballers” at all is the real concern. Are we all entitled to our opinions on AFLW or would you like to give me a list of what opinions I can hold?

Whoosh! Walked right into it!

Sure , people from all walks of life change employers regularly.

The reason is almost always financially driven, as it is in most cases for footballers so I think you're missing the point. The point being that if the reason/excuse given is to "be wiff me mates", it's a bit hard to take it that all that seriously.

Either it's a smoke screen to justify what everyone suspects....... the REAL reason being more $$$$$$$$$$$

OR......if "being wiff me mates " IS the real reason, then he's an immature tosser......childish even.

So your opinion on passive-aggressive posting seems to have changed quite quickly.

Well you’re welcome to post passive aggressive rubbish much like other are welcome to call BS.

Double whoosh.

The point is you thump your chest pretty hard when you disagree with someone's opinion but the second someone questions yours you throw up your hands and you act like you are being oppressed and it is an assault on the entire principle of free speech. Seriously duder, go back through your search history and compare the way you frame your opinions compared to the way your respond to the way people express theirs.

I actually enjoy it when posters put a bit of oomph behind their posts but you have to back that up by demonstrating the fortitude to take it as well as give. Your current iteration is really tone deaf with more than a faint whiff of glass jaw.

Last edited:

The reason is almost always financially driven, as it is in most cases for footballers so I think you're missing the point. The point being that if the reason/excuse given is to "be wiff me mates", it's a bit hard to take it that all that seriously.

Either it's a smoke screen to justify what everyone suspects....... the REAL reason being more $$$$$$$$$$$

OR......if "being wiff me mates " IS the real reason, then he's an immature tosser......childish even.
It’s up to the club to create an evironment players want to be involved in. Whether it was dollars or the pull of his mates Adelaide failed to do that in that instance. Onus on the club not the players.

Not sure how being with your mates makes you an immature tosser. I think given the choice 99% of us would choose to work close to friends

It could also be many different factors, who cares if it’s money, family or friends. A lot of players leave for football reasons as well. I for one think Melbourne will will move past Adelaide in the next year or 2.

He didn’t say it was to just be with his mates. Some football supporters/clubs get so precious about players leaving.

Dangerfield is a pretty good example of a guy who didn’t leave because of just money. When looking at Adelaide they seem to have no problems when they sign a player from another club but then cry traitor when one of their own leave.

Double whoosh.

The point is you thump your chest pretty hard when you disagree with someone's opinion but the second someone questions yours you throw up your hands and you act like you are being oppressed and it is an assault on the entire principle of free speech. Seriously duder, go back through your search history and compare the way you frame your opinions compared to the way your respond to the way people express theirs.

I actually enjoy it when posters put a bit of oomph behind their posts but you have to back that up by demonstrating the fortitude to take it as well as give. Your current iteration is really tone deaf with more than a faint whiff of glass jaw.
Always happy to have a intelligent discussion but that’s not what you wanted was it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It could also be many different factors, who cares if it’s money, family or friends. A lot of players leave for football reasons as well. I for one think Melbourne will will move past Adelaide in the next year or 2.

He didn’t say it was to just be with his mates. Some football supporters/clubs get so precious about players leaving.

Dangerfield is a pretty good example of a guy who didn’t leave because of just money. When looking at Adelaide they seem to have no problems when they sign a player from another club but then cry traitor when one of their own leave.
Dangerfield gave eight or so seasons of top line service and returned to the city he grew up in. Lever is a third year player who has played one full season and is going to a club situated 90 minutes drive from where he grew up, longer than the plane ride to Adelaide. I don't think they should be compared, particularly since Danger was a free agent - i.e. had earned the right to nominate a club.

To put it this way, I'd be rapt if we got eight years out of Yeo/Docherty.

Dangerfield gave eight or so seasons of top line service and returned to the city he grew up in. Lever is a third year player who has played one full season and is going to a club situated 90 minutes drive from where he grew up, longer than the plane ride to Adelaide. I don't think they should be compared, particularly since Danger was a free agent - i.e. had earned the right to nominate a club.

To put it this way, I'd be rapt if we got eight years out of Yeo/Docherty.
The whole earned your right to leave is overplayed. Lever was out of contract and you can’t force a player to sign another contract. Any player/club can raise the possibility of a trade which benefited both clubs otherwise he would have gone into the preseason draft.

He also played 56 games in his first 3 years which is pretty decent for a tall defender.

Last edited:
The rules around player movement are based around an assumption that all stakeholders in the game believe player loyalty exists or, at least, exists enough to provide a counter balance to the guys who want to move.

I believe that assumption is becoming false now. The question for me is whether all the stakeholders in the game are happy that players have near complete freedom to move. Are all the stakeholders happy with players only being bound to play 2 years at their first club? Are all the stakeholders happy that players can move to their destination club of choice?

If the stakeholders (clubs, fans, players, broadcasters, administrators, advertisers) all like the current amount of player movement, then nothing will change. But I believe the fans are becoming disenchanted with it, the clubs would prefer to have more power and, on gut feel only, I reckon channel 7 and Foxtel would rather a return to greater player loyalty if it makes the fans happier.

I don’t really begrudge individual players exercising their rights. I think the collective of players probably need to have a harder think about their role as stewards of the game and whether increased player movement is consistent with that stewardship responsibility. And I think the clubs need to come together to work out what they want from the system, instead of taking advantage of it when it suits and crying when they get hurt.

I'm so peed off with her......didn't notice her "professional" team Carlton go into the GF last year undefeated. Oh yeah Taylor, that was the team that just chill. You know, the one that you played er got paid appearance money for, the Brissy Lions girls.

Also peed off with the commentators when she kicked the goal, who said that was why she wanted to come south to a bigger club. Excuse me?? Bugger off!!

Pull her hair girls, she won't like that one bit...her pony-tail might drop off!;)

(I don't hold grudges....much:devil:)

I'm so peed off with her......didn't notice her "professional" team Carlton go into the GF last year undefeated. Oh yeah Taylor, that was the team that just chill. You know, the one that you played er got paid appearance money for, the Brissy Lions girls.

Also peed off with the commentators when she kicked the goal, who said that was why she wanted to come south to a bigger club. Excuse me?? Bugger off!!

Pull her hair girls, she won't like that one bit...her pony-tail might drop off!;)

(I don't hold grudges....much:devil:)

At least she had a trademark 'Tayla' shot in the third, missing from 15 meters out

Looking a bit better quality than last year, but not a phenomenal difference.

This last touch rule is yuck. Hope they scrap that for next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back