• Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

Schraderbrau

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
There is a documentary series on Saturday nights on SBS atm called the Vietnam War. Its really comprehensive in that it follows all the sides of the conflict and also has great video from that period. Really enjoying it. You can watch it for free on the SBS website as well.

Another cool documentary I watched a while ago was How to Make Money Selling Drugs.

swoop42

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
The 18
AFL Club
Collingwood
Man it's hard to watch Rocky movies as an adult.

The fighting sequences are hilarious and basically consist of one man standing with his hands by his side while the other repeatedly punches them in the head with a force that would knock out Mike Tyson in the 1st round.

Adriaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnn.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
My Calabrian/Aussie wife watched “All the money in the world” last night.

True story the Italian bloke who gets caught with a suit case of money in Switzerland is my wife’s uncle :eek:

Moral of the story my friends especially you ottoman dont * with the GM loving CFC2010 :p

P.S By the way she really loved the movie.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
star-wars-the-last-jedi-imax-poster.jpg

Finally watched this at Imax 3D last night.

I thought it was good..............Imax 3D is amazing and a must for big budget films like this.

Watched 'Darkest Hour', very heavily politically orientated if you like that (and I do) and some really great acting performances by the main cast
Not an outstanding movie, but pretty good and supposedly very historically accurate

Just saw it on the weekend, didn't mind it. I have to say that it's nice that movies like that still get made, ones that don't rely upon anything other than some good sets and costumes and a decent script. I'm not sure if the final line of the movie was a quote, but it was brilliantly placed. Oldman was very good.

I didn't know Churchill personally, we never moved in the same social circles or in the same decades, but I thought his character was a bit stilted, two-dimensional, or comical? He was portrayed as a somewhat kindly and grandfatherly figure, and I reckon that much of his sharpness --both good and bad-- was lost. I'm not sure if this was the script or Oldman's interpretation.

Watched 'Darkest Hour', very heavily politically orientated if you like that (and I do) and some really great acting performances by the main cast
Not an outstanding movie, but pretty good and supposedly very historically accurate

Just saw it on the weekend, didn't mind it. I have to say that it's nice that movies like that still get made, ones that don't rely upon anything other than some good sets and costumes and a decent script. I'm not sure if the final line of the movie was a quote, but it was brilliantly placed. Oldman was very good.

I didn't know Churchill personally, we never moved in the same social circles or in the same decades, but I thought his character was a bit stilted, two-dimensional, or comical? He was portrayed as a somewhat kindly and grandfatherly figure, and I reckon that much of his sharpness --both good and bad-- was lost. I'm not sure if this was the script or Oldman's interpretation.

I’ve seen this movie too, and agree it’s good without being outstanding.

But the scene on the train apparently never happened, and given the emphasis it has in the film, and the ramifications, I was disappointed it was used.

I’ve seen this movie too, and agree it’s good without being outstanding.

But the scene on the train apparently never happened, and given the emphasis it has in the film, and the ramifications, I was disappointed it was used.

I can't agree more. I confess that the train scene almost torpedoed the movie for me. It was nauseating, and I closed my eyes at the time and tried to pretend it wasn't happening. That scene tried to foster an odd notion that Churchill gained his inspiration and spirit of resistance from a carriage full of English stereotypes, which actually undermined the movie's attempt to illustrate that the man's virtues stemmed from his own understanding of history, of Hitler, and from his own mastery of the English language.

the man's virtues stemmed from his own understanding of history, of Hitler, and from his own mastery of the English language.

This is the thing. I’m no fan of British conservatives, and can’t forgive Churchill for Gallipoli, but he was onto the fascists ahead of his peers, and he understood the dangers of what was unfolding in post-WWI Europe. When combined with his eloquence and oratory, he was uniquely placed to lead Britain to safety. I’ll give him that.

But Churchill drank a lot! I don’t think his drinking was exaggerated in the film.

No, they didn't hide the booze. You might say that they almost celebrated it. The movie also touched upon his depression (i.e. the scene where his wife stumbles upon him in a darkened room, brooding on the edge of the bed), which I thought was good. It is for such reasons I can describe my overgrowth of stubble and overindulgence in wine as 'Churchillian'.

CFC2010

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Watched this today with the family.......I really enjoyed it so did the rest of the clan.

image.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CFC2010

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Dad and daughter time today.........awesome movie we watched together.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

CFC2010

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes CFC, it's great spending 1-1 time with each of your kids

Just watched it again with my oldest boy and daughter (middle child had a middle child melt down and left the room) ........don't tell ottoman but I might have shed a tear again in "that part" of the movie with Coco.

I think I am getting soft in my old age. :$

Oct 14, 2015
Free State NSW
AFL Club
Collingwood
Grow some back hair you whimp...

CFC2010 you are being groomed for ottoman's dark web. He and I were once close, but I misunderstood the friendship. He also beseeched me to grow back hair and sent the pic below of himself at a 'Teddy Bear's Picnic'.

Other pics, more unsettling ones, followed. You are more a worldly man than me CFC, and as a Greek, already familiar with Turkish 'invasion'. Just take care.

CFC2010 you are being groomed for ottoman's dark web. He and I were once close, but I misunderstood the friendship. He also beseeched me to grow back hair and sent the pic below of himself at a 'Teddy Bear's Picnic'.

Other pics, more unsettling ones, followed. You are more a worldly man than me CFC, and as a Greek, already familiar with Turkish 'invasion'. Just take care.

Have pity Walter, its breakfast time!

CFC2010

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
8D34015A-9011-405A-B851-C2D33117028C.jpeg

Do yourself a favor and watch this movie....nominated for 7 Academy Awards including Best Picture.

A dark....comedy....drama with some intense violence.

Sam Rockwell and in particular Frances McDormand as the mother were the standout performers in this movie.

View attachment 460734

Do yourself a favor and watch this movie....nominated for 7 Academy Awards including Best Picture.

Sam Rockwell and in particular Frances McDormand as the mother were the standout performers in this movie.
Great movie. Loved it

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
View attachment 460734

I kept trying to line it up with my missus to go watch it but missed out. It's no longer screening here in Cairns :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back