Carlton AFLW/VFLW Media, Training Reports, Pics etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Davey is our new Captain! Lauren Arnell and Sarah Hosking as vice captains.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-01-11/davey-to-captain-blues-in-2018

Carlton’s reigning best and fairest winner Brianna Davey will captain the Blues in 2018, with inaugural skipper Lauren Arnell and midfielder Sarah Hosking appointed joint vice-captains.

After undertaking an extensive process involving coaches, players and key leaders at the Club, the new-look three-player leadership group has been established in the second AFLW pre-season campaign.

Reckon the writer is spot on. I think we lacked pace and poise in the midfield last year. Everything else was great, and Downie was a fantastic ruck supported well by a couple others.

If Davey plays midfield, it will certainly help the poise issue. But there's still a lack of pace. Arnell isn't fast, and while Hosking is pretty quick, she doesn't really accumulate a lot of the ball from memory. I really liked Lucas-Rodd and Gillespie, but again, they weren't the quickest. Seemed like we couldn't cover teams well enough when they were moving the ball quickly.

Some of our girls star in this ad for the outer sanctum podcast now that they are getting a radio show on the ABC this season, good to see and it is basically the best aflw ad for this season given the AFL are dropping the ball for promotion this year.

Reckon the writer is spot on. I think we lacked pace and poise in the midfield last year. Everything else was great, and Downie was a fantastic ruck supported well by a couple others.

If Davey plays midfield, it will certainly help the poise issue. But there's still a lack of pace. Arnell isn't fast, and while Hosking is pretty quick, she doesn't really accumulate a lot of the ball from memory. I really liked Lucas-Rodd and Gillespie, but again, they weren't the quickest. Seemed like we couldn't cover teams well enough when they were moving the ball quickly.

A couple of the new recruits have a fair bit of pace for memory.

Edit: Maddison Gay, Georgia Gee and Sophie Li are quick and should play.

Last edited:
A couple of the new recruits have a fair bit of pace for memory.

Edit: Maddison Gay, Georgia Gee and Sophie Li are quick and should play.
but that's the odd thing about the article. yeah, we were a bit slow, so we recruited some pace but they didn't make it into the 21.

but that's the odd thing about the article. yeah, we were a bit slow, so we recruited some pace but they didn't make it into the 21.

Yeah I don't agree with the lineup. We will find a balance for sure.

Li is 29. We didn't pick her up not to play. Nat Plane was injured early in round 1 last year. She can extract the ball and run and carry with pace. She's really a new recruit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two season previews for us:

http://[NB: girlsplayfooty domain h.../01/2018-aflw-team-preview-carlton-blues.html
Out of the four staff there they predicts 7th, 7th, 6th and 5th. No sure what they're thinking! Yes, Exon, Ayre and BJ are big losses I think our recruitment replacements will satisfy. Their biggest issue is playing Davey in the backline, which I agree with and I think she'll be in the mid field quite often to help win clearances.

http://footyprophet.com/aflw-carlton-blues-2018-preview/
This writeup is a bit more friendly to us, still has questions about our midfield but is expecting us to finish 3rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back