Opinion 2018 Non-Crows Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As so many posters appear to be in love with CD at the moment, here are the 5 players in CD ranking order:

Rockliff (41) - a very good inside mid, that is also a very good small forward
Watts (109) - clever footballer that lacks only in the physicality of AFL
Motlop (143) - quick skilful forward / wing that can struggle through bad form patches throughout games / the season
Thomas (263) - skilled forward that has a bad reputation for diving and milking free kicks, and dirty snipes
Trengove (631)- natural footballer that has been robbed by injury

None of these guys should win the best and fairest, and none of them will change the team's fortune immediately on their own. If even 4 out 5 make the 22 then I think the team will struggle big time. You can't just whack in a heap of new players and expect it work.

I'm yet to understand who is coming through the ranks for Power - where is the natural progression coming from? Are they just hoping that these acquisitions will propel them from mediocre to elite? Is it driven by youth? Is it the likes of Robbie Gray going to another level? At 30 after a big health scare? Maybe Wingard and Wines are expected to carry the can? Is it all on big Dixon's broad shoulders?

Power start with Freo (home), Sydney (away), Brisbane (home) ...

I think Freo will be massively improved and you won't see a 90 point thrashing like last year. I'd have this pretty even, but Power at home should sway it in their favour.
Sydney had the worst start you could imagine last year - I wouldn't think that would repeat in 2018. Sydney should win this one.
Brisbane will be one of the bottom 6 teams in 2018, playing them at home should be an easy win for Power.

Let's say they expect 2 wins and a loss from these games. Then they have:

Essendon (away) L - I think AFC will find this a tough gig too.
Geelong (home) L - Geelong early in the season will be tough.
North (away) W - North are setting up shop in struggle street.
West Coast (away) W - I'll give them this one because I don't rate WC at all.
Adelaide L - keep the streak.

That's 4 wins and 4 losses to start the season, before they head off to China to face the new Suns.

If they slip below even for the first 8 games they are in some trouble, if they are above even then maybe the predictions of them being on the up are founded on something more stable than hot air and heat maps :)

Should be an interesting sideshow for us AFC supporters in 2018 as we concentrate on winning the whole shebang.

271.jpg

why hasn't Ollie signed yet?

it starting to get weird, we're signing our players left right and centre... what's the hold up?
Waiting on whether Port will match a $5m 5 year offer from the Roos. ;)

Have to feel sorry for other female sports that are quality but don't get media hyped like alfw
Just don’t watch it. It’s apparent you can’t stand it and that’s fine, but do you have to put it down at every opportunity? SOME of us like it and appreciate it for what it is... a competition in its infancy. Bet you men’s AFL wasn’t much better after one season. Never in my life time did I think I’d see this - and I’m 56 years old! I’m thrilled to bits it is getting the coverage its getting.

As so many posters appear to be in love with CD at the moment, here are the 5 players in CD ranking order:

Motlop (143) - quick skilful forward / wing that can struggle through bad form patches throughout games / the season
Thomas (263) - skilled forward that has a bad reputation for diving and milking free kicks, and dirty snipes

None of these guys should win the best and fairest, and none of them will change the team's fortune immediately on their own. If even 4 out 5 make the 22 then I think the team will struggle big time. You can't just whack in a heap of new players and expect it work.

I'm yet to understand who is coming through the ranks for Power - where is the natural progression coming from? Are they just hoping that these acquisitions will propel them from mediocre to elite? Is it driven by youth? Is it the likes of Robbie Gray going to another level? At 30 after a big health scare? Maybe Wingard and Wines are expected to carry the can? Is it all on big Dixon's broad shoulders?

I think Freo will be massively improved and you won't see a 90 point thrashing like last year. I'd have this pretty even, but Power at home should sway it in their favour.
Sydney had the worst start you could imagine last year - I wouldn't think that would repeat in 2018. Sydney should win this one.
Brisbane will be one of the bottom 6 teams in 2018, playing them at home should be an easy win for Power.

That's 4 wins and 4 losses to start the season, before they head off to China to face the new Suns.

If they slip below even for the first 8 games they are in some trouble, if they are above even then maybe the predictions of them being on the up are founded on something more stable than hot air and heat maps :)

Should be an interesting sideshow for us AFC supporters in 2018 as we concentrate on winning the whole shebang.
It's interesting that Janus is claiming Port are now now the #1 ranked forward line.

The Crows averaged more than 3.5 goals more than Port per game, with the best inside 50m conversion.

Consider the likely changes:
Crows - Gallucci for Cameron as the pressure forward.
Port - Watts for Trengove & Motlop for Impey.

I don't see how these changes are a 4 goal per game turnaround, as you also need to take into consideration how teams are coached.

So Champion Data believe the top 10% of players in their position are elite, but they use over 2 years.

Currently the rate Walker, Lynch, Betts, Sloane, Smith & Laird as elite. If you just based it on the last year, you would add Matt Crouch. Jacobs & Gibbs would be borderline too.

Compare to Port who have Westhoff, R Gray, Wingard, Boak, Ryder & Dixon rated as elite. If you based on the last year, neither Westhoff or Boak would be considered elite & Wingard is doubtful too.

It's interesting that Janus is claiming Port are now now the #1 ranked forward line.

The Crows averaged more than 3.5 goals more than Port per game, with the best inside 50m conversion.

I don't see how these changes are a 4 goal per game turnaround, as you also need to take into consideration how teams are coached.

But but but according to the Herald Sun Geelong now have the number one forward line in the comp!! My god we might slip to third! We’re stuffed! Wait....where was Richmond’s forward line ranked last year?

Just don’t watch it. It’s apparent you can’t stand it and that’s fine, but do you have to put it down at every opportunity? SOME of us like it and appreciate it for what it is... a competition in its infancy. Bet you men’s AFL wasn’t much better after one season. Never in my life time did I think I’d see this - and I’m 56 years old! I’m thrilled to bits it is getting the coverage its getting.

Lots of "Look at me! Look at how much I don't care!" takes re: the AFLW over the past year - particularly on this site.

They sold all their picks for 3 years to recruit Ryder and Dixon thinking they'd be enough to win them a premiership. It didn't work out, so they've doubled down and recruited a whole bunch of players who weren't wanted by the original teams and are hoping it will work out better this time.

I rate Rockliff, but Fagan at the Lions let him walk for the exact same reason Pyke didn't want him. You just can't have multiple inside ball winners who can't dispose of the ball by foot. We have the Crouches, adding Rockliff to that is overkill (and why Gibbs is an insanely better recruit for us that Rockliff would have been, despite the cost and the howls that we should have gotten him cause he was "free"). Motlop is class, but like we've seen with Atkins, he can go missing plenty (and he was already in a good midfield at Geelong, so that won't change at Port).

I'm yet to understand who is coming through the ranks for Power - where is the natural progression coming from? Are they just hoping that these acquisitions will propel them from mediocre to elite? Is it driven by youth? Is it the likes of Robbie Gray going to another level? At 30 after a big health scare? Maybe Wingard and Wines are expected to carry the can? Is it all on big Dixon's broad shoulders? .

Looks like there is a genuine query in the above (as underlined) compared to the usual BS that is posted here (daily) about Port, so here is who we are looking at in regards to the natural progression:-

Houston he has played 17 games last year and we think that he could be a good HBF for us in the future he could be in the starting 22 ahead of our other HBF
Howard has played 10 games can play in defence, forward and in ruck seen as the Trengove replacement also could be in the starting 22
Marshall has played 3 games last year has improved with his training and his body is filling out .. we expect him to play several games for us this year
Atley has also played 3 games (both him and Drew) have enjoyed training and are learning with S. Thompson.

now for those who I hope play a few games this year

Barry played 5 games with Melbourne and is enjoying the current training he is also learning he could be first picked if we get a run of injuries
Frampton & Leinert were looked at towards the end of 2017 and they could play 1 or 2 games this year. Gardner, Bonner, Snelling & Drew could also play 1 or 2 games to give them added experience..

In regards to above, you mentioned Thomas (re CD), the only reason I suspect we picked him up (as well as some of the other delisted free agents) is so they can hold a position until our rush of father / sons comes through over the next 5 years (e.g. J. Mead, Schofield, Lade, Francou, Wanganeen etc

Last edited:
Waiting on whether Port will match a $5m 5 year offer from the Roos. ;)

LOL

Nice try ... the Roos may offer that but Ollie would insist on a trade and due to the Roos having 2 x top 20 father son picks and 2 high ranking academy players the best they can offer is Ben Brown (as their 1st round and 2nd round draft pick would be used for the top draft picks - father / son)

besides you (and the rest of the crows supporters) don't want Ollie to go (like I don't wont Slone to go) ... The reason for this is who ever goes - Slone or Ollie - will give the Loosing club 2 x 1st round draft picks and that will give the loosing club a huge chance of drafting both Jack Lukosius & Izak Rankine

so I hope that Slone stays

but you guys can continue to hope that Ollie goes (so the gaining club can give us 2 first round picks) if you want

Ports win/loss at the end of the minor round 2017

1 ADELAIDE L L
2 GEELONG L
3 RICHMOND L
4 GWS L
5 PORT
6 SYDNEY W
7 ESSENDON L
8 WEST COAST L W
9 MELBOURNE L
10 BULLDOGS W
11 ST. KILDA W
12 HAWTHORN W
13 COLLINGWOOD W W
14 FREMANTLE W
15 NORTH W
16 CARLTON W
17 GOLD COAST W W
18 BRISBANE W W

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like there is a genuine query in the above (as underlined) compared to the usual BS that is posted here (daily) about Port, so here is who we are looking at in regards to the natural progression:-

Houston he has played 17 games last year and we think that he could be a good HBF for us in the future he could be in the starting 22 ahead of our other HBF
Howard has played 10 games can play in defence, forward and in ruck seen as the Trengove replacement also could be in the starting 22
Marshall has played 3 games last year has improved with his training and his body is filling out .. we expect him to play several games for us this year
Atley has also played 3 games (both him and Drew) have enjoyed training and are learning with S. Thompson.

Barry played 5 games with Melbourne and is enjoying the current training he is also learning he could be first picked if we get a run of injuries
Frampton & Leinert were looked at towards the end of 2017 and they could play 1 or 2 games this year. Gardner, Bonner, Snelling & Drew could also play 1 or 2 games to give them added experience..

In regards to above, you mentioned Thomas (re CD), the only reason I suspect we picked him up (as well as some of the other delisted free agents) is so they can hold a position until our rush of father / sons comes through over the next 5 years (e.g. J. Mead, Schofield, Lade, Francou, Wanganeen etc

Because Port posters don’t post daily bullshit about the Crows.......#koolaid #portlogic

So essentially Port has a loose man in defence who's shown he may be AFL quality (Houston), a stringy tall forward who could develop into a positive player in a few years time (Marshall), and a big bodied midfielder who could develop into a serviceable player in a role that Port is already overstocked in (Atley, who might take Wines' spot when he leaves at the end of this year). The fact you've mentioned Dougal Howard is a blight on Port's development. The future's not looking too bright over there.

Ports win/loss at the end of the minor round 2017

1 ADELAIDE L L
2 GEELONG L
3 RICHMOND L
4 GWS L
5 PORT
6 SYDNEY W
7 ESSENDON L
8 WEST COAST L W
9 MELBOURNE L
10 BULLDOGS W
11 ST. KILDA W
12 HAWTHORN W
13 COLLINGWOOD W W
14 FREMANTLE W
15 NORTH W
16 CARLTON W
17 GOLD COAST W W
18 BRISBANE W W

and ?

So essentially Port has a loose man in defence who's shown he may be AFL quality (Houston), a stringy tall forward who could develop into a positive player in a few years time (Marshall), and a big bodied midfielder who could develop into a serviceable player in a role that Port is already overstocked in (Atley, who might take Wines' spot when he leaves at the end of this year). The fact you've mentioned Dougal Howard is a blight on Port's development. The future's not looking too bright over there.

wow in regards to mentioning that Howard is a blight on our development ??????? in the 10 games he has played so far he has done very well ... it was mentioned about our development and I answered that .. all 4 - 5 player I have mentioned is way above the depth others have mentioned

wow in regards to mentioning that Howard is a blight on our development ??????? in the 10 games he has played so far he has done very well ... it was mentioned about our development and I answered that .. all 4 - 5 player I have mentioned is way above the depth others have mentioned

No, he hasn't. He's been shocking. I think you may be looking through rose-tinted glasses (there's no shame in that). Way above what depth? To list someone like Atley as quality AFL depth at this stage is just ridiculous.

My stats were Champion Data quoted in the Herald Sun too:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...d/news-story/74a8c996525dc5b45cb04258c9ac680c

Although in saying that Motlop was 5th last year for sprints per game according to the same article. But to put that stat into context, an ordinary player like Jeff Garlett averaged more than him.

Don't get me wrong - I like Motlop as a player and would have taken him if available as a replacement (and upgrade) on Cameron but he's not on the same level as the above full-time midfielders who are much more consistent midfielders.

Do you think he is interchangeable with a contested marking medium forward?

LOL

Nice try ... the Roos may offer that but Ollie would insist on a trade and due to the Roos having 2 x top 20 father son picks and 2 high ranking academy players the best they can offer is Ben Brown (as their 1st round and 2nd round draft pick would be used for the top draft picks - father / son)

besides you (and the rest of the crows supporters) don't want Ollie to go (like I don't wont Slone to go) ... The reason for this is who ever goes - Slone or Ollie - will give the Loosing club 2 x 1st round draft picks and that will give the loosing club a huge chance of drafting both Jack Lukosius & Izak Rankine

so I hope that Slone stays

but you guys can continue to hope that Ollie goes (so the gaining club can give us 2 first round picks) if you want

You aren’t getting Ben Brown for Ollie. Not without offering them a whole extra on top

It's just the same old Janus pre-season rant that we hear every year.
Crows will fail.
Port must be favourites for the flag.
As soon as it all goes pear shaped for them he'll disappear for a while before coming back with an expert analysis of how Port has failed again and how somehow miraculously it was out of Ports control.
Nothing changes with his posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back