Song Contest Part IX, Host: NinjaSwan Theme: Summer. Jet Skis Due: 10PM AEDT Wensday

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like some of their original songs but I'm not a fan of that cover either, pretty hard to top the Crowded House original
I gave the cover some votes because whilst I prefer the original, I enjoyed Boy & Bear's version (I like many of their original songs too).

Oh. My. God.
So you think Missy Elliott is s**t and NWA are gods of rap ? Whatever... I don't share your opinion. Let's not forget, you're one of the voters in this thread who pretty much overlooks every classic rock song from the 70's and 80's in favour of bland, watered-down derivative indie shite from the 2000's, so it's a bit rich of you to suddenly be the defender of 80s icons.

NWA were rubbish. Overrated. As. F**k. They weren't "pioneers" as was suggested earlier in the thread. They didn't start s**t. There were plenty of other rappers around. They just scored big with the rebellious teenager market because they sang "f**k tha police". That's their big contribution to the world and what got them famous. :rolleyes: Back in the day, I had that album on cassette. I listened to it a few times. I wanted to like it, but it was s**t.

Ice Cube... Meh.... Boring. Overrated. He's the original Fiddy Cent
Dr Dre... Became a successful producer, but I was never a fan. The Chronic? Boring...
Eazy Muthaf**kin E... LOL..

I laughed at the way people lapped up that recent NWA movie biopic and believed all the hype.

NWA were the Slipknot of rap... Ooooh sooo scary... sooo shocking...sooo controversial.... They just sucked in millions of clueless teenagers with their act.

I liked that album of Missy Elliott's because it was infectious and funky and you could dance to it. What does anyone get out of listening to 'Strait Outta Compton' ? Reminds me of that scene in Office Space where the nerdy white guy pretends to be gangsta rapping along in his car on his way to work.

Last edited:
So you think Missy Elliott is s**t and NWA are gods of rap ?

Whatever...

I don't share your opinion. Let's not forget, you're one of the people in this thread who pretty much overlooks every classic rock song from the 70's and 80's in favour of bland, watered-down derivative shite from the 2000's, so it's a bit rich of you to suddenly defend overrated 80s icons.

NWA were rubbish. Overrated. As. F**k. They weren't "pioneers" as was suggested earlier in the thread. They didn't start s**t. There were plenty of other rappers around. They just scored big with all the rebellious teenager market because they sang "f**k tha police". That's their big contribution to the world and what got them famous. :rolleyes: Back in the day, I had the album on cassette. I listened to it a few times. I wanted to like it, but it was s**t.

Ice Cube... Meh.... Boring. Overrated.
Dr Dre... Became a successful producer, but I was never a fan. The Chronic? Boring...

I laughed at the way people lapped up that recent NWA movie biopic and believed all the hype.

I for one enjoyed the NWA movie, even with it's inaccuracies.

I will also enjoy the Missy Elliott movie whenever that comes out.

Boted.

All my votes went to songs I hadn't heard before. My billy also went to a song I hadn't heard before but it wasn't one of the songs I gave votes to.

Voted.

Not going to lie on a fresh listen of the playlist I was less impressed. Still some BANGAS though and Cyndi managed to avoid the Billy due to some cringe lower down in the playlist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you think Missy Elliott is s**t and NWA are gods of rap ? Whatever... I don't share your opinion. Let's not forget, you're one of the voters in this thread who pretty much overlooks every classic rock song from the 70's and 80's in favour of bland, watered-down derivative indie shite from the 2000's, so it's a bit rich of you to suddenly be the defender of 80s icons.

NWA were rubbish. Overrated. As. F**k. They weren't "pioneers" as was suggested earlier in the thread. They didn't start s**t. There were plenty of other rappers around. They just scored big with the rebellious teenager market because they sang "f**k tha police". That's their big contribution to the world and what got them famous. :rolleyes: Back in the day, I had that album on cassette. I listened to it a few times. I wanted to like it, but it was s**t.

NWA were the Slipknot of rap... Ooooh sooo scary... sooo shocking...sooo controversial.... They just sucked in millions of clueless teenagers with their act.

I liked that album of Missy Elliott's because it was infectious and funky and you could dance to it. What does anyone get out of listening to 'Strait Outta Compton' ? Reminds me of that scene in Office Space where the nerdy white guy thinks he gangsta rapping along in his car on his way to work.
I think you're hanging out in a river in Egypt if you are suggesting there's no influence from NWA on hiphop. They are one of the drivers of using the medium to speak out about discrimination, rather than using it to discussing partying and how well they can dance.

That said, you don't have to like the music to acknowledge its impact on the scene. I generally don't like Bowie, or Neil Young, but can't deny the hand they had in influencing alternative music, and grunge specifically in Young's case.

Working under the assumption that the Eazy E track was a retaliation to recent Kendrick Lamar nominations, I find it interesting that he in particular was chosen. Why? Because he's the least talented out of the entire west coast gangsta culture. His verses were generally written for him, and his delivery is rubbish. Even the DJ in NWA is a better rapper than Eazy.

As an aside I was going through Loonerty's noms over his time in the contest and he's nommed BANGAS and MASH before.

No wonder I enjoy his musical tastes so much.

I generally don't like Bowie, or Neil Young, but can't deny the hand they had in influencing alternative music, and grunge specifically in Young's case.

I reckon you'd be pretty crazy to say that Bowie wasn't an All Time Great.

Post-round update! (270)

• A podium three-peat is so difficult to achieve. So many times we have seen someone go back-to-back, fall short of the three-peat but get another podium the round after. That's happened to Ulahoopski who gets his 22nd podium.
  • Sozabarus gets his 24th podium of the contest.
  • I've finished with 4 votes and 5 votes in the last 2 rounds. Can I win a turtle of my own and poll 6 votes this round?
  • Another glorious streak has come to an abrupt end. After 171 consecutive contests, Smeg Head has missed a round. Fingers crossed this is a temporary break and nothing permanent.
  • It was once again a case of being so close for CakeEater. He wound up with a moral podium once again as he is still looking to break his winning drought which now extends to 92 rounds. He still has 11 rounds to go to break Chappyuk's record but the alarm bells are ringing.
More to come.

I liked that album of Missy Elliott's because it was infectious and funky and you could dance to it. What does anyone get out of listening to 'Strait Outta Compton' ? Reminds me of that scene in Office Space where the nerdy white guy pretends to be gangsta rapping along in his car on his way to work.
Gee making music to appeal to rebellious teenagers- that's something no one else has done.
People often enjoy the music of their youf even once they are well past their prime.
I know its hard to believe but I even remember one silly old goose on here sporting a Jello Biafra avatar!
Imagine someone liking DKs when Good Charlotte have so many dancier numbers.

• NaturalDisaster is getting the hang of this. After taking a lifetime to get a win, he now has 3 in 15 rounds. Could this be the case of the young man who could never achieve despite his best efforts yet, after persevering for so long, became an all-time great? They should call the film "A Not So Natural Disaster: A Story of Perseverance.

Halls!
  • The Filth Wizard raises the bat as he reaches the tonne!
  • In a not so positive note, Agent93 becomes the first winner of the trifecta in 25 rounds.
*Hall of Fame*
5 song contest wins - roo2macca, Hard Ball Get, JoseMourinho, royboy2, edgie, Loonerty, Chappyuk, Marklar_33, Allikat, CakeEater, Illinois Nazi, Wooshette, the fly, Gigantor, Smeg Head, DroopStDanny, Back One Out, Sozabarus, Bet on Blue, OES, Plugger35, Chaisa, Ulahoopski, The Filth Wizard, Elton Johns Wig, GreyCrow, Freofalcon

Top of the pack: Three consecutive top three finishes - Hard Ball Get (Rounds 40, 41, 42; and Rounds 41, 42, 43), roo2macca (Rounds 48, 49, 50), edgie (Rounds 83, 84, 85), Loonerty, (Rounds 94, 95, 96; and Rounds 95, 96, 97), Chaisa (Rounds 124, 125, 126), DroopStDanny (Rounds 177, 178, 179), Chappyuk (Rounds 215, 216, 217), Elton Johns Wig (Rounds 225, 226, 227; and Rounds 226, 227, 228)

The real 1st place!: Three 2nd places within 5 rounds -

Moving on up!: From 3rd to 1st over three consecutive rounds -

The Joe Root award: I've participated in 50 song contests - Chappyuk, Plugger35, roo2macca, FreoFalcon, Royboy2, thefly, JoseMourinho, Hard Ball Get, Smeg Head, SugarShane, edgie, Little Graham, MEB_, Illinois Nazi, Allikat, Jazny, CakeEater, Gigantor, Loonerty, Marklar_33, Back One Out, Wooshette, Van_Dyke, IKnowtheDog, Bomberboyokay, Chaisa, Melter, Bet on Blue, DroopstDanny, Ulahoopski, Sozabarus, Call_Me_Floss, GreyCrow, krisholio14, The Filth Wizard, Elton Johns Wig, NaturalDisaster, raskolnikov, MWPP, NinjaSwan, Yidaki, El Dubya, Nuffers

I'm no longer Joe Root!: I've participated in 100 song contests - Chappyuk, Plugger35, roo2macca, JoseMourinho, Hard Ball Get, royboy2, the fly, edgie, Smeg Head, Illinois Nazi, little graham, Freofalcon, CakeEater, Loonerty, Gigantor, Marklar_33, Back One Out, OES, Bet on Blue, DroopstDanny, Ulahoopski, Chaisa, Sozabarus, Jazny, GreyCrow, The Filth Wizard

I'm Now Brian Lara!: I've participated in 150 song contests - Chappyuk, Plugger35, roo2macca, royboy2, the fly, Smeg Head, CakeEater, Loonerty, Marklar_33, Back One Out, edgie, OES, Bet on Blue, Ulahoopski

The Kumar Sangakkara Award: I've participated in 200 song contests - Chappyuk, Plugger35, roo2macca, royboy2, the fly, Smeg Head, CakeEater, Marklar_33, Loonerty, Back One Out

The Punter Award: I've participated in 250 song contests - Chappyuk, Plugger35, roo2macca

The AB de Villiers award: I scored 50 or more botes for my nomination! - Wooshette 50 (Round 7), El Dubya 67 (Round 9), Wooshette 50 (Round 11), roo2macca 57 (Rounds 18), richoatthedisco 53 (Round 20), Allikat 52 (Round 30), Plugger35 53 (Round 33), JoseMourinho 50 (Round 51), Loonerty52(Round 52), Smeg Head 55 (Round 69), edgie 50 (Round 73), Marklar_33 53 (Round 88), edgie 56 (Round 103), CakeEater 54 (Round 105), royboy2 53 (Round 111), Bet on Blue 60 (Round 127), the fly 51 (Round 148), roo2macca 51 (Round 157), CakeEater 51 (Round 174), Bet on Blue 50 (Round 200)

I Bote Whored!: 20 podium finishes - roo2macca, Hard Ball Get, royboy2, Loonerty, Chappyuk, Plugger35, edgie, Smeg Head, Chaisa, DroopstDanny, Back One Out, Bet on Blue, Sozabarus

Beginner's Luck!: Podium on Debut - Freofalcon (Round 1)*, Good Old (Round 1), Probitas (Round 1) Hard Ball Get (Round 2)*, MEB_ (Round 2), brahj (Round 15), Sydney Bloods (Round 36), Loonerty (Round 44), Van_Dyke (Round 67), One Eyed Sainter (Round 100)*, BlueBelle (Round 102), Bet on Blue (Round 104), Ulahoopski (Round 110), DroopStDanny (Round 110), dogs105 (Round 196)

*Also won

The Magnificent Seven: 7 top 7 finishes in a row - roo2macca (Rounds 44-50, 45-51, 46-52) Ulahoopski (Rounds 160-166, 161-167, 162-168, 163-169 164-170)

I Host to Win Contests: Winning a Round You Hosted - JoseMourinho (Round 38 - Jazz/Blues), edgie (Round 85 - Physical Movements), Bet on Blue (Round 113 - Cities/Towns Redux), GreyCrow (Round 248 - Circus)

*Hall of Shame*
Donut King: A bag of 5 donuts -

Master Billy: 5 Billy awards - JoseMourinho (Rounds - 14, 16, 22, 36, 41, 46, 52, 54, 83, 85, 120), Smeg Head (Rounds - 27, 42, 43, 45, 62, 67, 80, 105, 139), little graham (Rounds - 23, 48, 57, 68, 79, 97, 116, 117, 149, 150, 155, 163), SugarShane (Rounds - 39, 60, 84, 87, 91), Jazny (Rounds 4, 10, 69, 76, 95) Bomberboyokay (Rounds - 40, 47, 99, 100, 109), Illinois Nazi (Rounds - 26, 30, 61, 82, 111, 158), Cake Eater (Rounds - 58, 73, 86, 89, 122, 128, 160), IKnowtheDog (Rounds - 77, 81, 104, 121, 126, 134, 136, 138, 147, 162), BlueBelle (Rounds - 103, 112, 114, 119, 127), royboy2 (Rounds - 50, 63, 75, 110, 129, 135, 137, 142, 166), Freofalcon (Rounds - 19, 44, 118, 124, 141), Van_Dyke (Rounds 72, 74, 78, 94, 143), Loonerty (Rounds 88, 98, 106, 146, 157), Bet on Blue (Rounds 108, 115, 133, 167, 170), RedmanWasHere (Rounds 190, 193, 194, 202, 204), Wooshette (Rounds 64, 107, 140, 205, 219), akkaps (Rounds 196, 198, 209, 211, 228), Marklar_33 (Rounds 59, 123, 178, 214, 230), General Soreness (Rounds 212, 213, 227, 231, 234), MWPP (Rounds 171, 172, 174, 181, 241)

Bottom of the pack: Three consecutive last place finishes in a row - Ashton Agar (Rounds 1-3)

The double: A Billy award and last place - Ashton Agar (Rounds 2, 7), Allikat (Round 11), JoseMourinho (Rounds 16, 120), Sublime (Round 28), Call_Me_Floss (Round 38), royboy2 (Round 50), SugarShane (Round 60), Jazny (Rounds 76, 95), Illinois Nazi (Round 82, 158), Back One Out (Round 93), Van_Dyke (Round 94), little graham (Rounds 117, 150, 155), Wooshette (Round 140), the fly (Round 186), Plugger35 (Round 191), Bet on Blue (Round 195), akkaps (Round 196), Wooshette (Round 205), Thatsapaddlin (Round 218), Sozabarus (Round 229), El Dubya (Round 236)

The trifecta: Billy votes only/A Billy award/Last place - Jazny (Round 10), Allikat (Round 11) HBF (Round 21), oogac (Round 24), Illinois Nazi (Round 26) Bomberboyokay (Rounds 47, 99), Marklar_33 (Round 59), little graham (Rounds 79, 97, 116, 163), Bet on Blue (Round 108), royboy2 (Round 110), IKnowtheDog (Round 121), BlueBelle (Round 127), Call_Me_Floss (Round 151), General Soreness (Round 213), NinjaSwan (Round 232), edgie (Round 245), Agent93 (Round 270)

I like donuts!: Three donuts in a row -

Me don't know how/when to vote :drunk:: Being a perpetual late voter/missing deadlines - Morganashlee, edgie, Freofalcon, Bomberboyokay, Back One Out, little graham, Van_Dyke

I host to win billies!: Winning a billy in a round you hosted - Bomberboyokay (Round 40 - Wrestling theme), JoseMourinho (Round 52 - Pump-up Songs), Loonerty (Round 88 - First Musical Purchase), Gignator (Round 152 - Talkin' Blues)

The Jose Billy sandwhich: Winning donuts in between two billy awards - JoseMourinho (Rounds 52, 53, 54)

McKernan-Grant Medal: Being relegated from first to last for not voting - little graham (Round 66), JoseMourinho (Round 91), A Bit High (Round 110), Jazny (Round 175)

The Project Award: For s**t Hosting - JoseMourinho - Rounds 38-39 (for s**t themes that nearly killed the contest), Bomberboyokay - Round 40 (for a s**t theme that nearly killed the contest), Dips - Round 140 (s**t theme, s**t deadlines and poor releasing of results) NautralDisaster - Round 197 (******* up the results), royboy2 - Round 225 (******* up the results), GreyCrow - Round 248 (for being a corrupt campaigner), BRAB - Round 252 (inability to release results), William Wonka - Round 255 (do I need to say more?), BRAB - Round 259 (for not counting a Billy to decide the winner), El Dubya - Round 260 (for disqualifying a contestant mid-round for not fitting the theme after he accepted the song initially)

Until next time!

Last edited:
img-langkawi-kayak_1483433535t.jpg

Boted. So many HMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back