Game Day AFLX: PORTS -VS- FARKEN

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the more enjoyable buildup/gameday/aftermaths in our recent history.

From Melbourne fans ceaselessly talking smack on social as if their reserves had beaten our best 18, to the day itself when we genuinely looked like a finals-calibre side (and were), to the schadenfreude of reading their confidence turn to flashback-induced hopelessness on their matchday thread.

"Even the Port crowd is louder than us".

Them rebounding to belt us by 40 at Adelaide Oval in 2016 and utterly pantsing us at the G last year when we're supposed to be in a window is... numbing.
Across our time in the AFL I don’t think any side has dragged us down into shitty contests more then Melbourne.

When I lived in Melbourne and watched us play them at the MCG, it was like Groundhog Day. Let them get around 20 points up at quarter time, by going via Row F on the wings, then that being around the final margin. And too often games at Footy Park would turn into a slog, whether we were good or s**t that year.

Given we’ve been better then them more years then not, there’s a decided lack of big victories, outside 2013. 2011 for the AO factor was great, but not as a game. Outside 2011 and 2013, the only one that sticks in my mind as memorable is killing Balme’s career as a coach.

Melbourne put massive emphasis on contested ball, and will be much better at it this year. Their uncontested game is poor, but we've still got to find a way to win when we're losing in contested ball and possibly clearances. That's not ever easy.

Across our time in the AFL I don’t think any side has dragged us down into shitty contests more then Melbourne.

When I lived in Melbourne and watched us play them at the MCG, it was like Groundhog Day. Let them get around 20 points up at quarter time, by going via Row F on the wings, then that being around the final margin. And too often games at Footy Park would turn into a slog, whether we were good or s**t that year.

Given we’ve been better then them more years then not, there’s a decided lack of big victories, outside 2013. 2011 for the AO factor was great, but not as a game. Outside 2011 and 2013, the only one that sticks in my mind as memorable is killing Balme’s career as a coach.
The 2014 Cassisi retirement game. I know we won, but that game was the worst.

Just one more reason to love Jay Schulz.
Genuinely makes me sad that Schulzy never really go to experience having Dixon playing alongside him. Imagine Schulz getting the second best defender every week. Mouthwatering stuff.

Poor guy had to slog out his best years with shite delivery and some absolute gorillas mauling him week in and week out. Still was an absolute star despite it all.

Genuinely makes me sad that Schulzy never really go to experience having Dixon playing alongside him. Imagine Schulz getting the second best defender every week. Mouthwatering stuff.

Poor guy had to slog out his best years with shite delivery and some absolute gorillas mauling him week in and week out. Still was an absolute star despite it all.
Yep

Watched some of the 2nd half of West Coast/Collingwood AFLX last night. This because when it was on I received a late text notification that a distantly connected 'relative' was on the field for the first time for West Coast. #43 Matt Allan (Mt Gambier boy) had a handpass 1:18 into me watching. Then not on screen until 10 minutes later when he ran by but didn't touch the ball so I called it quits. That was the only AFLX I've seen and I get what people say now, it's pretty unwatchable. The players were too skilled at moving the ball up and down the short ground quickly and with precision. Yada Yada. Paradoxically it might be a decent product for less skilled players.

Watched some of the 2nd half of West Coast/Collingwood AFLX last night. This because when it was on I received a late text notification that a distantly connected 'relative' was on the field for the first time for West Coast. #43 Matt Allan (Mt Gambier boy) had a handpass 1:18 into me watching. Then not on screen until 10 minutes later when he ran by but didn't touch the ball so I called it quits. That was the only AFLX I've seen and I get what people say now, it's pretty unwatchable. The players were too skilled at moving the ball up and down the short ground quickly and with precision. Yada Yada. Paradoxically it might be a decent product for less skilled players.
Lol, should suit Port then. Maybe if the players had to kick it backwards over their heads it may be more interesting.

So true. He was a genuine Port warrior. Still miss him.

Where are the replays ... I want to have a look at the Port ones again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That wasn't a replay. When I received the text I rushed to the lounge, switched it in, and began recording. But I didn't watch it then.
Interesting there are no obvious replays on the AFL site.

People panic, but NAB/JLT performances mean jack s**t to me. They're just such an unreliable indicator for what's ahead in the season proper.

I will be none the wiser until Round 1 against Fremantle.
Yes Bass said Port treated the AFLX game as a training session only ..they were more focused on getting time into the players legs etc and not disrupting their pre season programs more than they had to. We have the season proper to focus on and gelling the multiple new players into our team rather than winning some plastic trophy. Crows are a settled team and stated that they were in it to win the plastic trophy at all costs Totally different goals The JLT will be a bit more telling although I think it COULD take quite a few games or even a season to get our new team functioing well together. Of course I hope I am wrong.

I clicked here wondering what else could be added that hasn't already been said, of a comp in which we were s**t,
that didn't matter and divided our board into 2 camps of opposing views neither of which were going to change their minds.
End result .............. 2 bald men fighting over a comb.
Roll on this w/end v WCE

That's not what you said when he first arrived.

#scandal
I think people had a right to be sceptical about Shulz when he first arrived based on his form to that point.

I was excited but mostly because Inhad been watching his previous 2 years with rose coloured glasses after rumours we were into him.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

There was one of the Port v Geelong game that someone put up on youtube about an hour after the game, I checked for it in my history and it has now been removed by the user. There are still some but I cannot find one that has a Port game only. Best I could find was this one that has all of the Hindmarsh stadium tournament.

There was one of the Port v Geelong game that someone put up on youtube about an hour after the game, I checked for it in my history and it has now been removed by the user. There are still some but I cannot find one that has a Port game only. Best I could find was this one that has all of the Hindmarsh stadium tournament.

Thanks for that .. saw that the Port one had been removed .. anyway will watch Port games with this video.

Tredders only had Schulz's assistance for 7 games in 2010 after a career with little assistance from another KFP then Schulz has to go solo like Tredders and then Schulz only works with Big Dix for 7 games in 2016. Its why we need Marshall to come on as well as Watts to assist.

Tredders only had Schulz's assistance for 7 games in 2010 after a career with little assistance from another KFP then Schulz has to go solo like Tredders and then Schulz only works with Big Dix for 7 games in 2016. Its why we need Marshall to come on as well as Watts to assist.

It wasn't much, but Tredders did have Cornes and Lockwood til 2004, helping him to three AAs.

Considering what we ended up doing with our KPFs in 2017 I would have liked to have seen Schulz given one more season, even if a rookie. At the least he could have worked with Marshall in the magpies.

Sent from mTalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back