AFL 7`s coming Internationally?

Remove this Banner Ad

There is already 9-a-side football as a standard.

I am not sure how standard it really is. For starters you probably know 9's footy in Australia is very different from that played outside Australia.

Also 9's is not necessarily standard o/s Australia. Regularly small sided and metro formats are played that vary from 5's, 7's, 9's, 10's and anywhere up to 16. The decision on numbers often depending who turns up on the day or what fits the ground the game is being played at.

This obviously dilutes the continuity of development of a particular form and style of the game. My point is that if everyone agrees to play the same format then that format becomes more legitimate and can grow in it's own right. At the moment it is for the most part an extended form of training for full sided footy.

I am not sure how standard it really is. For starters you probably know 9's footy in Australia is very different from that played outside Australia.

Yes, that's why I go to the trouble of calling them AFL9s or 9-aside.

Regularly small sided and metro formats are played that vary from 5's, 7's, 9's, 10's and anywhere up to 16. The decision on numbers often depending who turns up on the day or what fits the ground the game is being played at.

Yes, so that's basically traditional football played to the circumstances of available players and field.
Scaled down football tries o mimic traditional football as much as possible.
9-a-side is the most popular of scaled down football because it suits 100m pitches, Metro League development and representative football.

This obviously dilutes the continuity of development of a particular form and style of the game. My point is that if everyone agrees to play the same format then that format becomes more legitimate and can grow in it's own right. At the moment it is for the most part an extended form of training for full sided footy.

I can see the possible move to 7-a-side football for elite footballers though I'd like to see the SANFL 9-a-side approach
and how they are using 9 players when that seems too many.
I agree there is a place for AFLX in it's own right and it could become a powerful tool but as it is basically a game for midfielders I don't see it as a replacement or scaled-down footy or training.

Edit: in summary I don't see the need to replace scaled-down-football with a restrictive standard.
I do see the possibilities of a stand-alone game. If we look at IR, that has not produced any IR specific clubs/leagues but has facilitated inter-code competition at club level. IR has also spawned productive introductory games like Ausball. I see AFLX as a popular summer competition in Australia and as an adjunct to regular football O/S. I would envisage AFLX as a candidate for tournaments and/or promotions etc.
It all depends on what the AFL is thinking. The AFL has not attempted to leverage anything out of IR. I'll give the AFL the benefit of the doubt as not to antagonize the Irish and GAA fields are bigger than 100m but other promotions have failed with adequate follow-through.

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional comments from the other regulars.

So why not post it on the NM boarad or AFL board
WTF has this got to do with international football ?????
Everything - Have you got a memory problem or just being a smart ass as usual.

Everything - Have you got a memory problem or just being a smart ass as usual.
Can we have answers above the level of a child please.
How is Nm AFLX international news ?
AFLX has some international implications but nothing as yet.
The general AFL season has probably more relevance internationally a.t.m.
Well it has happened again you have just answered your own question on line 2 where you NOW acknowledge that AFLX has International implications. You definitely have memory problems - Why - This topic has been discussed before. Get it checked out.

You're so off tap dude. There are about 2 posts on the international board a week and you are trying to shout half of them down on account of your subjective judgement on its relevance.

You are being ridiculous

You're so off tap dude.

Groovy man

There are about 2 posts on the international board a week

So that is your criteria ? I would should suggest relevancy as number one.
What various AFL teams are doing is relevant to AFLX which soon have it's own section.
How AFLX developments might have international implications.
Do you get the distinction ? I hope so. Bonzer.

So why not post it on the NM boarad or AFL board
WTF has this got to do with international football ?????
I did go along. Most interesting thing from an international point of view was that the advertised AFLX trial (by NM themselves) was played along international small-sided conventions of make it up on the day (in relation to player numbers anyway). They actually played 9-a-side to fit in the number of players they wanted to give a run in the three team session. Even so it was very open with good skill.

The 7 a side version might be very open, little contest, very clean, high scoring footy. Teams easily looked to hit a long kick from full back to a marking team mate who then shot for goal on quite a few occasions. Clean and clever ball use in space, rather than pace may dominate this game. Can see some interesting tactics evolving for the last touch rule, which it looks like will inevitably make it's way to the main AFL competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teams easily looked to hit a long kick from full back to a marking team mate who then shot for goal on quite a few occasions.

This level expertise has quite not reached the international community as yet, but it will and it will be a problem.
When asked to comment on a football team overseas, I usually reply " you do play football".
That cryptic reply is to emphasis that teams should stop playing football as it appears 18-a-side.
and start playing clinical football to win or at least the occasional kick to centre and run on to goal.

It's a little weird, the same players will not go so wide so often when they play 18-a-side.

AFLX hasnt even OFFICIALLY launched yet. Since this thread seems to be about the international implications of a developing branch of the sport, its not entirely irrelevant.

Why Hong Kong?

Who knows? I suspect the main concept from another code that the AFL is channeling with AFLX is the rugby 7s, whose "spiritual home" is probably honkers. The idea also would be places central to Australian diaspora - which is why elsewhere Honkers, Singapore, London and New York have been mentioned

Who knows? I suspect the main concept from another code that the AFL is channeling with AFLX is the rugby 7s, whose "spiritual home" is probably honkers. The idea also would be places central to Australian diaspora - which is why elsewhere Honkers, Singapore, London and New York have been mentioned

Whenever they would play those exhibition games in London, you'd get a few confused English people, watching this sprawling game, difficulty understanding what's going on, not seeing what was happening over the other side of this big field, etc - that won't be a problem with AFLX, it will be much more clear what is going on, and it will all be visible, and a lot more interesting for the uninitiated.

AFLX is here.
AFLX is a fast paced game, well thought out with virtually no stoppages.
I see two parallels. Firstly I see it as entertainment like IR and like IR some people don't see it as "real football".
Secondly it's like RL is to RU with just the fundamentals remaining and again like RL tending to get a little boring.

I certainly don't see AFLX as a replacement for 9-a-side football or football in general overseas.
AFLX played by other than by AFL players looks pretty much the same.

For the amateurs I see AFLX being used in the same way we used have lightning carnivals.
It is up to the AFL if they can leverage some extra profile out of AFLX and thus bebefit football overseas.
ATM it seems the public is more enamoured with AFLW and considering the huge impact of AFLW
in Australia and O/S the AFL would be wise not to drop the ball on AFLW.

According to the heraldsun AFLX is is be being shown "globally" atm. (Cannot post exact quote as I'm not a subscriber)
It would be good if they elaborated on that a bit with countries and ratings etc.
AFLX mightn't have taken Australia by storm but as a tournament overseas
It might be more appealing with a number of teams, short format and continuous action.
If that is the case, then it makes sense to play AFLX overseas not in Australia.
Might boost the ratings as well.

edit: "The game’s newest format took to screens across the globe over the last three nights"

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...d Sun&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=editorial

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back