Remove this Banner Ad

Oasis - (whats the story) morning glory
Nirvana - Nevermind
Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar
Rage against the machine - Battle for Los Angeles
Guns n Roses - Use your illusions
Foo fighters - The color and the shape

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Use your illusion albums are underrated by a lot of people who like to put a neat narrative of grunge taking over and bands like GNR being left behind.

Not saying every track is genius but if you got the best 12 tracks you would have something rivaling Appetite For Destruction, and they expanded their sound a lot on tracks like Coma, Estranged and November Rain

Use your illusion albums are underrated by a lot of people who like to put a neat narrative of grunge taking over and bands like GNR being left behind.

Not saying every track is genius but if you got the best 12 tracks you would have something rivaling Appetite For Destruction, and they expanded their sound a lot on tracks like Coma, Estranged and November Rain
Estranged is my favourite song on the albums.

Very under rated

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I don’t know if grunge took over bands like Guns and Roses.

I put them more in the bracket of Metallica and Pantera at the time who were more authentic than the Motley Crue or Poison type bands.

And they survived the grunge onslaught and found their own place

Of course, once upon a time, Pantera and GNR were hair bands themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know if grunge took over bands like Guns and Roses.

I put them more in the bracket of Metallica and Pantera at the time who were more authentic than the Motley Crue or Poison type bands.

And they survived the grunge onslaught and found their own place

Of course, once upon a time, Pantera and GNR were hair bands themselves.

I think GNR were fine and definitely not in the Poison, Motley Crue or Def Leppard type of music and were more well positioned to adapt to the 90s and the grunge explosion than those bands.

But you do read a lot of rock critics who try to make music history into neat narratives who ignore how well the use your illusion albums sold and what a huge draw GNR still were until they went on hiatus. If they didn’t no doubt they would of continued to be huge throughout the 90s.

Also Pantera hadn’t achieved any mega popularity pre grunge so were able to develop and change and be accepted because many had no knowledge of their pre 90s output

I think GNR were fine and definitely not in the Poison, Motley Crue or Def Leppard type of music and were more well positioned to adapt to the 90s and the grunge explosion than those bands.

But you do read a lot of rock critics who try to make music history into neat narratives who ignore how well the use your illusion albums sold and what a huge draw GNR still were until they went on hiatus. If they didn’t no doubt they would of continued to be huge throughout the 90s.

Also Pantera hadn’t achieved any mega popularity pre grunge so were able to develop and change and be accepted because many had no knowledge of their pre 90s output

The Black Crowes also flew in the face of grunge domination in the early 90s with their swaggering utensil out pure rock n roll.

Axl did try to have a beef with Kurt which probably fuelled that narrative too

But November Rain was one of the biggest songs of the 90's.

I have a different recollection. I thought Use Your Illusion was peak Gunners in terms of popularity and exposure. Probably the last great pure rock and roll band who at their peak were the biggest thing in the music.

Axl did try to have a beef with Kurt which probably fuelled that narrative too

But November Rain was one of the biggest songs of the 90's.

I have a different recollection. I thought Use Your Illusion was peak Gunners in terms of popularity and exposure. Probably the last great pure rock and roll band who at their peak were the biggest thing in the music.

Didn’t axl want nirvana to tour with them to which Kurt basically told them where to go as he thought they were the type of music they were against (misogynist utensil rock or whatever), then that changed Axl’s tune somewhat (though I never heard him make any derogatory comment about Nirvanas music)

The Black Crowes also flew in the face of grunge domination in the early 90s with their swaggering utensil out pure rock n roll.

Well many things did it wasn’t as simple as grunge dominates and everything else died. It helped a lot of more alternative 80s groups like The Cure, New Order & Depeche Mode gain easier accessibility to airplay in the early 90s and all achieved their biggest selling albums in the US between 90-93. Sioxsie and the banshees too. Basically the underground of the 80s finally went overground with Nevermind which included more than straight up grunge.

Didn’t axl want nirvana to tour with them to which Kurt basically told them where to go as he thought they were the type of music they were against (misogynist utensil rock or whatever), then that changed Axl’s tune somewhat (though I never heard him make any derogatory comment about Nirvanas music)
I remember something backstage at an MTV awards, I think Axl had a crack at Courtney Love

Dust n Bones is my favourite track from Use Your Illusion, could even be my favourite of all GnR songs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back