Bomber Thompson cost us the 2008 and 2010 Premeirships

Was this Luke Chambers the bright spark who invented all those rushed behinds? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Who's Geelong's secret spy atm?
We can't tell you that, it's a secret

Not sure if I should breath new life into this thread or not :eek: ...but as I am reading Stevie J's book at the moment.........

On the 2010 season, from Stevie J's book - "Everything had been meticulously planned between 2007 and '09, but now it felt like we were flying by the seat of our pants. Our team meetings were really lacking in detail. Rather than tell us what the plan for an upcoming match was, he (Bomber) would just look at us and say, 'What do you reckon boys?'......He seemed a bit blasé."

He says things started to head this way about a third of the way through that season.

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure if I should breath new life into this thread or not :eek: ...but as I am reading Stevie J's book at the moment.........

On the 2010 season, from Stevie J's book - "Everything had been meticulously planned between 2007 and '09, but now it felt like we were flying by the seat of our pants. Our team meetings were really lacking in detail. Rather than tell us what the plan for an upcoming match was, he (Bomber) would just look at us and say, 'What do you reckon boys?'......He seemed a bit blasé."

He says things started to head this way about a third of the way through that season.
Bomber was mentally done and just about had a breakdown. Dont know how he managed to coach essondon to be honest

Bomber knew in June of his return to Essendon. Emails found after he left GFC confirm it.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Bomber was mentally done and just about had a breakdown. Dont know how he managed to coach essondon to be honest
Yeah he was done & burnt himself out as a senior coach.
In an interview with Stevie J about the same book Stevie said that when Geelong was considering him a Bomber drove all the way up to Wang just to meet his family and talk to him.
Can you imagine that now? A senior coach driving that far just to meet a player they were considering in the 2nd round?
One thing you can't say about Bomber is that he wasn't a hard worker.

If Bomber was mentally done + burnt out as a senior coach, why did he accept the position to join Essendon? Sure it was in a guiding role, still, he knew he was returning to Essendon in June 2010.

There is more to this Bomber story than we know. It has to do with the conflict with GAJr. Didn't Bomber complain that the senior players did as they chose?

Jul 3, 2008
Just under pussy's bow.
AFL Club
Geelong
If Bomber was mentally done + burnt out as a senior coach, why did he accept the position to join Essendon? Sure it was in a guiding role, still, he knew he was returning to Essendon in June 2010.

There is more to this Bomber story than we know. It has to do with the conflict with GAJr. Didn't Bomber complain that the senior players did as they chose?

Pretty sure the conflict between coach and star player arose with Gazza's preference for playing Hillsong worship songs during the 2010 pre-season, as opposed to Thompson's preferred Motorhead. Lemmy loved Bomber.

Sep 29, 2009
Belgrave
AFL Club
Geelong

The reason Bomber got talked into coaching Geelong in 2010 when he felt burnt out. The same reason Bomber got talked into being assistant coach at Essendon. The same reason Bomber was sent to meet with Milburn and let him know time's up, and Milburn walks out of that meeting with a 2 year extension. The Geelong management started to notice Bomber wasn't the greatest negotiator and people could twist him around their little finger a bit. And they were right.;)

The reason Bomber got talked into coaching Geelong in 2010 when he felt burnt out. The same reason Bomber got talked into being assistant coach at Essendon. The same reason Bomber was sent to meet with Milburn and let him know time's up, and Milburn walks out of that meeting with a 2 year extension. The Geelong management started to notice Bomber wasn't the greatest negotiator and people could twist him around their little finger a bit. And they were right.;)

Thanks Reg Hickey, that is very interesting.

It's a shame that GAJr didn't have Bomber around his little finger ;)

So reading the bump, the reason we lost the 08 flag was that Hawthorn had a bloke secreted into the ground to know that we played through the corridor?
Wouldn't have watching the previous 40+ weeks of our games have told him that?

The facts are that we had the best teams back in 08 and 10, and we lost. Yep, Bomber has a lot to answer for.
And a lot that we can thank him for.
So he's human, has frailties and idiosyncrasies like all of us.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
The facts are that we had the best teams back in 08 and 11, and we lost. Yep, Bomber has a lot to answer for.
And a lot that we can thank him for.
So he's human, has frailties and idiosyncrasies like all of us.
I think you might of meant 2010. That year I thought Collingwood were the best side that year. I thought Stkilda were probably better too.

Pretty sure the conflict between coach and star player arose with Gazza's preference for playing Hillsong worship songs during the 2010 pre-season, as opposed to Thompson's preferred Motorhead. Lemmy loved Bomber.

Hahahaha!

Is Gaz a member of Hillsong? ??? He + his father are Pentecostal Christians, but didn't think they were Hillsong. I was told, as we drove past a Baptist Church in Highton, that GASr goes to church there ???

I think you might of meant 2010. That year I thought Collingwood were the best side that year. I thought Stkilda were probably better too.
That was corrected while you replied- def 2010

We beat Pies game 1. It went downhill that year for us. That loss against Saints mid winter when we scored zilch after half time was scary.
Yet how did we win 11 with virtually a 2010 list minus the near GOAT?

We beat Pies game 1. It went downhill that year for us. That loss against Saints mid winter when we scored zilch after half time was scary.

Must have been Chris Scott's coaching!

*ducks for cover*

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
Great to see an old thread by some arse clown making ridiculous claims about Bomber and why we lost those years. With all the criticism aimed at Chris Scott these days it's to go back to past sometimes for some really stupid s**t from an OP like this.

Great to see an old thread by some arse clown making ridiculous claims about Bomber and why we lost those years. With all the criticism aimed at Chris Scott these days it's to go back to past sometimes for some really stupid s**t from an OP like this.
Very Moderate of you to say so.

well this is a head scratching bump to say the least.. bored Daz?
helping another member of the board with a request.

GO Catters

I'd say the players attitude has a lot to do with it as well as Scotts tweaks also freshened the group and a few young players were injected into the side for the year, a proud group was humiliated in the prelim, then had their coach and star walk out on them... new coach = fresh message, someone to prove themselves to... And the desire to make up for the year before.

Why did Malcolm Blight accept the Saints coaching role? Why did Malthouse go to Carlton? Ego and big dollars

Back