Analysis Rules for Surrendering Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bushrangers
Each player is assigned a point value between 10 and 50.

Then us, the Dogs, Dees, and Blues need to give up between two and four players to a total worth of 100 points.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...019-list-expansion-rules-20171017-gz2jfs.html

So it depends on how generous the AFL are in giving lesser skilled players points.
Hmm, so the Vic clubs get weakened, but BL and Freo may not? NM and Geelong effectively gain players to the value of 200 points each with existing Vic club losing 100; simple maths would suggest BL and Freo would have to give up players to the value of 200 points.

The situation with the Suns and Eagles is complicated given AFLW players have a choice of which state they wish to play in, with Brisbane and Fremantle currently holding an effective monopoly over their respective states' talent.

Then us, the Dogs, Dees, and Blues need to give up between two and four players to a total worth of 100 points.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...019-list-expansion-rules-20171017-gz2jfs.html

So it depends on how generous the AFL are in giving lesser skilled players points.

The AFL can assign as many points to players as they like, but Malloy and Collingwood will find another way to make up the 100 points ;)

Hmm, so the Vic clubs get weakened, but BL and Freo may not? NM and Geelong effectively gain players to the value of 200 points each with existing Vic club losing 100; simple maths would suggest BL and Freo would have to give up players to the value of 200 points.
I don't think they've decided what they'll do with the 2020 expansion yet. It would make sense if the Dockers and Lions get hit hard after the 2019 season with Eagles and the Suns coming in. Hopefully we don't have to give up as much in 2019 but I suspect we will.

The draft concessions are going to be interesting. I hope North and Geelong come into the draft after the first round and not before us (who'll presumably have the first Victorian pick in the draft)

Who make the Call who is Available to be Nabbed or are all players Available?

I don't think they've decided what they'll do with the 2020 expansion yet. It would make sense if the Dockers and Lions get hit hard after the 2019 season with Eagles and the Suns coming in. Hopefully we don't have to give up as much in 2019 but I suspect we will.

The draft concessions are going to be interesting. I hope North and Geelong come into the draft after the first round and not before us (who'll presumably have the first Victorian pick in the draft)

So we could Finish Last but get Pick 3rd Vic Pick because of North and Geelong?

Who make the Call who is Available to be Nabbed or are all players Available?
The article doesn't say, however at a guess I'd say the players will have a large say as all are on one year contracts. For example if the incoming club/s put any offer too good to refuse in front of them they well may leave. A few of the players we drafted last year (including Molloy) were 'pies fans, whether that was be design or intended who knows. It looks smart though.

I get they want the new clubs to be competitive, but potentially having to give up 2 of your top players or 4 mid range players seems a bit much especially as the young draftees look just as good if not better.

"Notionally your top rated players are worth 50 points, your low-rated players are worth 10 points."

The article doesn't say, however at a guess I'd say the players will have a large say as all are on one year contracts. For example if the incoming club/s put any offer too good to refuse in front of them they well may leave. A few of the players we drafted last year (including Molloy) were 'pies fans, whether that was be design or intended who knows. It looks smart though.

I get they want the new clubs to be competitive, but potentially having to give up 2 of your top players or 4 mid range players seems a bit much especially as the young draftees look just as good if not better.

Thanks. Though that just Weakens the Teams Even More.

I dare say we probably make Molloy a Marquee Player and Get a Contract with that

Thanks. Though that just Weakens the Teams Even More.

I dare say we probably make Molloy a Marquee Player and Get a Contract with that

TD, Chloe is a shining light for us right now. I love the love she is generating amongst Pies fans, including on here.

There’s no suggestion she will leave at the end of 2018, or be stolen from us under the guise of AFLW expansion. Let’s get through the season first, and see her help us win some games. Our girls have spirit and enthusiasm, we just need this to translate to some wins, with Chloe front and centre.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we have enough bad players to make up 100 points

Not if they all get 10 points. It will be really interesting to see how the points are assigned. I would love to be working on it!
I think there would be about 10 player on our list we can do without.

It seems that this is no longer the case.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/ffac4010475501a80bcc43506205733c

Clubs rejected the league’s initial idea of using a points system to redistribute talent.

That plan would have seen players given a value, with each club’s top three stars valued at 50 points, players four to six valued at 30 points, players 7 to 14 valued at 20 points with the remainder apportioned 10 points each.

A club would have had to give up a total of 100 points in this model.

This model could have forced clubs to divest at least one of its stars, but protected it against being raided of all of its top talent.

The current plan, which is yet to be signed off by the league and clubs, could see a club lose four of its best players, or none, depending on its ability to convince stars to stay.

Clubs have backed their culture and own organisation’s appeal to hold onto their premier talent.

So Clubs Choose the One's that are Made Available to the Expansion Teams Then?
From the link MK posted any movement in the hands of the players, however the clubs are confident that their setups will allow them to retain the players they want.

As seen last year our setup wasn't enough to retain two of our better players.

Clubs have backed their culture and own organisation’s appeal to hold onto their premier talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back