Injury AFLW Blue Healers - 2018 Injury List

Remove this Banner Ad

TeeJay Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Nobody was injured in the last match other than J. Hosking copping a post-match whack on the schnozzle. We'll go into the match with a healthy team minus the coach (get well Keeping and good luck Rutley). Bring on the giants.

If anyone happens to know the exact 21 women who had participated in the practice match against the Bulldogs, do tell me. Feel free to also point out any possible mistakes.

I will fix up the colour coding for the next update.

AFLW Season Tracker (Post Round 1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone happens to know the exact 21 women who had participated in the practice match against the Bulldogs, do tell me. Feel free to also point out any possible mistakes.
We played way more than 21 in the praccy. Most players got half a game each or so. The only two who were not on field were Maddison Gay and Jess Hosking who were up in the coaches box during play. Most 2017 veteran players (except Davey who was doing onfield leadership) got a quarter or so and then finished up the game allowing the new recruits to play a mostly full match. A few players may have only had a few minutes on field but I wasn't watching the bench too closely to see.

Doggies had 4-6 out up in the box but also played more than 21 players in that game, given it was a practice match. Also the game was longer playing 4x20min quarters along with all the other practice matches (GWS vs Lions was 5x15) so all players got enough gametime.

Since there is no 2018 Injury/List Managment thread for the women's team, I thought I'd wait for each preview thread for the upcoming match to post the updated chart.

Nobody was injured in the last match other than J. Hosking copping a post-match whack on the schnozzle. We'll go into the match with a healthy team minus the coach (get well Keeping and good luck Rutley). Bring on the giants.

I will fix up the colour coding for the next update.

View attachment 457528

I know it might seem a bit impertinent, but if you could knock up a chart like this for the Pies then I'd really appreciate it.

Ta. JB.

Welp, two big ones to add to the list.

Davey out with a leg issue, probably for the season.

Harris injured her shoulder in the last few seconds of the match, was in quite a bit of pain, maybe a collarbone injury.

Im sure something could be organised for small price of a Carlton membership.

Now while Carlton might be practically giving its memberships away, your offer still sounds to me like 'for the small price of a frontal lobotomy'.

But seriously, it's a great chart. I hope that Davey's injury is nowhere near as serious as it looks and that she's back in the green real soon.

Definitely going to miss Bri. She’s ahead of her peers with her footy smarts and her skills. I couldn’t believe how good she was when I went to the first AFLW game. This is a loss that will be felt by the entire competition. Best wishes for the op and rehab.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ridiculous high percentage of ACL ruptures in the AFLW.
Patella instability is inherently higher in women, which I'm guessing leads to a higher incident rate of other knee injuries.

EDIT: general joint mobility and movement in the knee is a key difference as well, with ACL injury rates typically being 2x higher than men.

Last edited:
Knee injuries rife in netball at all levels too
I meant that women are twice as likely to suffer an ACL injury in general; apparently it's 400% higher for AFLW compared with AFL, but some of that is due to the staff, funding and training gap.

Patella instability is inherently higher in women, which I'm guessing leads to a higher incident rate of other knee injuries.

EDIT: general joint mobility and movement in the knee is a key difference as well, with ACL injury rates typically being 2x higher than men.

Many factors at play, unfortunately.

The female anatomy of a wider pelvis and the subsequent change in angle (Q-angle) between femur/quadriceps and tibia is problematic.

Causes the patellar instability and also puts more strain on the ACL.

Many factors at play, unfortunately.

The female anatomy of a wider pelvis and the subsequent change in angle (Q-angle) between femur/quadriceps and tibia is problematic.

Causes the patellar instability and also puts more strain on the ACL.
Sounds convincing.

Hey guys! I'm back! Told you it could possibly be a while since I had to move and install an internet connection at my new place.

I'm just going to post the updated chart (post round 4) and continue from there. Feel free to inform me of any noticeable mistakes.

AFLW Season Tracker (Post Round 4).jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back