"The Coalition is interfering in the running of the ABC" *confirmed*

Remove this Banner Ad

The Treasury says a tax cut will lead to increased investment, which “drives up the productivity of labour. This raises the demand for labour and results in higher before-tax real wages.”

lol at the ALP and Guardian trying to argue against higher real wages.

So either something else needs to be taxed more or government spending needs to be cut.

Didn't hear that from the free lunch brigade when Swannie was urinating money all over the place.

The Treasury says a tax cut will lead to increased investment, which “drives up the productivity of labour. This raises the demand for labour and results in higher before-tax real wages.”

Didn't hear that from the free lunch brigade when Swannie was urinating money all over the place.
Think you have lost your way. Wrong thread but I love the fact that you mangaged to wriggle in Swan.
Meds talking points. Swan, ABC, Unions, Labor, Pink Batts, Gillard.

Think you have lost your way. Wrong thread but I love the fact that you mangaged to wriggle in Swan.
Meds talking points. Swan, ABC, Unions, Labor, Pink Batts, Gillard.

Without Arts students Meds wouldn't be able to feel superior, hard to say where they slot in to that list, but they certainly belong.

Of course he/they are. But maybe not for too much longer.

h0w66kO.jpg

Woo-hoo!! Bring it on.

Usual stool pigeon response. Utter inability to respond to the argument due to complete lack of understanding of economics and finance.

Noone can forget your constant apologism in that area.
Come in spinner!
Not your best retort though, try harder.

Not your best retort though, try harder.

So we can all now acknowledge then that Turnbulls attack on Alberici was fair enough.

Or we just going to mindlessly cheerlead the ABC regardless of the facts? Looks like its the latter.

Trainwreck of a thread.

So we can all now acknowledge then that Turnbulls attack on Alberici was fair enough.

Or we just going to mindlessly cheerlead the ABC regardless of the facts? Looks like its the latter.

Trainwreck of a thread.
You are becoming extremely tedious. Cheerleading? Hell you are the master cheerleader for all things Murdoch and Liberal policies.
Much amusement though.

I see what you are saying but I just have a few questions. Would business use the entirety of the tax cut to improve wages for its employees? That seems rather unlikely to me. That's like saying pies at the footy go down from $5 to $3 and I decide to give the person on the till a $2 tip, I'm still outlaying the same expenses. Businesses aren't there to increase expenses (labour costs) they are there to increase profit for shareholders.

The bulk of the tax cut would likely be put into share buy backs for companies and increased dividends. There may be one off bonuses given but this represents more of a sugar hit rather than ongoing real growth, like an out of court settlement to prevent paying out what you are actually liable for.

I do understand that increased investment will mean a push to grow the business which will eventually mean more jobs and the opportunity to increase wages with greater scarcity of labour resources, but to what degree will this be the case? Will these tax cuts be able to cover the $60b of lost tax revenue? Will there be a real increase in wages if your boss gives you a 2 or 3 percent raise but your child can no longer go to uni because the number of places have been slashed due to funding shortfalls, or you have to wait even long to see a GP? Is that an overall improvement of living standards?

Where is the balance? At what rate does the economy need to grow to compensate for lost tax revenue? If the economy goes gangbusters and invest wholly in expanding their operations after the tax cut then great, the economic theory prevails as anticipated. But If businesses offer a token raise and take the rest as profit, the flow on to the middle and working classes will be minimal, if not negative overall. It's not enough to say this is the theory and will be thus, it all depends on what degree business is willing to put expenses over profit.

Anyway I would rather look at a simple state payroll tax reform before anything else, it seems so obvious. You don't tax businesses on how many people they employ, that discourages more employment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is the LNP interfering in the running of the ABC?
Seems unnecessary as there in no question, they are.

Thread title should therefore be "The Coalition is interfering in the running of the ABC!"

Without Arts students Meds wouldn't be able to feel superior, hard to say where they slot in to that list, but they certainly belong.
When you're a foot stool for your Conservative Master/Mistress, about the only thing you then get to feel superior to are art students.

It's seems like this is a big yes.

The gagging and squeezing out of a journalist Nick Ross whose NBN coverage took an investigative and critical tone, the premature handing back of the cabinet documents without them being examined by the investigative team, the misreporting of the Rudd pink bat information, the quiet on the Joyce affair before it blew up and now the censoring of Emma Alberici's comprehensive and well written analysis of proposed tax cuts after a Turnbull complaint.

Direct political interference in editorial decisions is a violation of the ABC's charter and it seems not since Howards later years has there been a minister for communications/Primeminister as aggresively intent on forcing management to his will.

From all reports, the rather excellent ABC staff seem pretty unhappy as well. This is concerning because it is still the best source of investigative reporting in the country, but if journalists can't trust management to have their backs, or trust Guthrie's vision, what then?

The public needs to push back very strongly against Turnbull and his overreach.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...-complaints-from-malcolm-turnbull?CMP=soc_567

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...-abc-staff-angry-over-return-of-cabinet-files
So yeah, this was and is certainly the case.

No evidence exists for the government actually interfering.

The government has the right to appoint to the board.

the ABC board clearly believed that sacking a reporter would appease the government.

How is that not interference?

The entire board should be sack3ed for lacking backbone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back