The AFL will end pre-game warm-ups as part of sweeping set of 2018 rule changes

Remove this Banner Ad

I could handle this if it meant more curtain raisers, but couldn't we have curtain raisers with more of a gap between games so we can have both a curtain raiser and warm up. I would think the clubs wouldn't be happy about this.

We might get the odd curtain raiser, maybe 10 for the season, but lets be honest, its all about sponsors and money. Its all about clubs getting their loud/obnoxious host of gameday out there and playing games while mentioning every sponsor or giving away sponsor's products. Might have to invest in earmuffs for before the game

I could handle this if it meant more curtain raisers, but couldn't we have curtain raisers with more of a gap between games so we can have both a curtain raiser and warm up. I would think the clubs wouldn't be happy about this.

We already do have curtain raisers way before a game, no one watches though because they generally have to finish 90mins before the bounce. This at least could make it closer to 30mins.

Not sure if Brad Scott is still turning the lights off in the rooms pre-game or not but forcing the players to relinquish their freedom and remain shackled to a confined space will almost certainly find them having to listen to more of Scott's delusional raving.

Wonder what the aflpa think of North players being held for hours by a madman every week without even the opportunity to graze. This could get messy.

We already do have curtain raisers way before a game, no one watches though because they generally have to finish 90mins before the bounce. This at least could make it closer to 30mins.
Not many apart from the die hard fans would come to watch a reserves game, I know I would. Always thought if you could get enough to come in and watch it it may help with congestion at big games. give 10 or 15K a reason to enter the stadium early instead all at roughly the one time.

Very precious over playing surfaces these days.

:D

Maybe it's them trying to dumb down the sport again for the overseas audiences (and NSW and QLD).

absurd comment, considering on field pre-game prep is common in most sports in the world.

i can see the reason for the change back. they still do a warm-up for about 10 mins prior to the bounce anyway. in other sports, they generally start the match soon after they've come out of the sheds.

I really enjoyed the pre game warm ups...as a swans supporter living in wa im very limited as to how much access i have to them... call me wierd but i go to the footy as early as possible to watch the warm ups...dont know what it is but i could sit there all day...interesting to see what players skills are like outside of match pressures

yuck

giphy.gif
The way they ram it down our throats its exactly what will happen... "get early to the game, we have organisdd super fun not to be missed entertainmemt extravaganzas"..as soon as everyone is in theyl lock the doors and out trott the aflw

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its a very good decision. I hated this early on field appearance thing when it started happening (Terry Wallace/Bulldogs 1996 I think?). It basically ruined all the theatre and anticipation of your team entering the arena for the first time, bursting through the banner and looking if anyone was missing.

If it were up to me I'd also send out a memo to the players: For *s sake RUN through the banner and give us some agro! These days the walk up to it, and ease their way through as if theyre afraid of paper cuts! It used to be such a big moment in the lead up to the bounce... Its really sad how club 'marketing' types think loud music and voice overs and adverts are better entertainment than the old style team 'big entrance' to your clubs themesong.

Its in areas like this I wish the AFL could intervene more without everyone carrying on about it. Every mindless pleb just loves bagging the AFL by habit rather than considered thought.

“Fan activation initiatives” is a euphemism for sponsor advertisements.

Just glad I have a reserved seat. I used to like watching the players warming up. Now I’ll just turn up 5 mins before the game and take my seat.

“Fan activation initiatives” is a euphemism for sponsor advertisements.

Just glad I have a reserved seat. I used to like watching the players warming up. Now I’ll just turn up 5 mins before the game and take my seat.

Makes you wonder if these marketing cretins that come up with stuff slip into games through a backdoor. Maybe they've outsourced the whole department to Mumbai already.

I have never actually got used to it to be honest, so its no big deal to me.

What would getting used to it look like?

Maybe it'll improve goal kicking as players will be fresher...

Or quicken up congestion in the first quarter? Maybe half the crowd will turn up at the first bounce.

Soft tissue increase.. will go down well.

There'd wanna be some pretty fancy t-s**t cannons/naked mc's or some meaningful curtains for this to avoid becoming a cash grab debacle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back