Tas 2018 Tasmania Election - LIBERAL WIN

Remove this Banner Ad

First, it wasn't a view just directed at this election.
Which was his point.

Election spending isn't a new issue, but I can't recall Labor being upset about it until now.

Now the Tasmanian Liberals are claiming a mandate for policies only announced by mail outs so select groups.

How can democracy works when politicians just don't say publicly what their policies are?

This is why elections are undemocratic,

Just have a rolling election all the time, they change their policies nip down to the electoral office and change your vote.

Interesting that neither the Greens nor Labor chose to focus on the Liberal government's love of opening up native and old growth to the timber industry. All I heard about was pokies, which is a non-issue to most. Losing our rainforests is probably a bigger concern to most.

Interesting that neither the Greens nor Labor chose to focus on the Liberal government's love of opening up native and old growth to the timber industry. All I heard about was pokies, which is a non-issue to most. Losing our rainforests is probably a bigger concern to most.
Losing the Rain Forest is continually way overplayed in Tassie. There is plenty of Rain Forest, but the greens keep trying to claim previous logged and mined areas to appease the inner city support base.

Losing the Rain Forest is continually way overplayed in Tassie. There is plenty of Rain Forest, but the greens keep trying to claim previous logged and mined areas to appease the inner city support base.

Yep, theres plenty of inaccessible, useless forest still standing.

Do you know what was involved in clearfelling and 1080 poisoning?

Yep, theres plenty of inaccessible, useless forest still standing
The Greens are just trying to lock up more forest and make it inaccessible and useless. The environmental value of the forest is not diminished just because it is inaccessible.

Do you know what was involved in clearfelling and 1080 poisoning?

There was certainly a period where there was an excess of clear felling, but most areas were more subject to selective logging. If you visit some areas that were logged 50 plus years ago the forest has clearly regrown.

The 1080 poisoning was more to do with plantations.

The Greens are just trying to lock up more forest and make it inaccessible and useless. The environmental value of the forest is not diminished just because it is inaccessible.

There was certainly a period where there was an excess of clear felling, but most areas were more subject to selective logging. If you visit some areas that were logged 50 plus years ago the forest has clearly regrown.

The 1080 poisoning was more to do with plantations.

The environmental value is not even half the argument. The argument was the industrial society vs post-industrial society, where you pit the industrial approach of pillaging a finite resource at the expense of the potentially infinite post-industrial society approach where that resource is utilised for it's tourism value. This is a particularly relevant argument in Tasmania as it tries to market itself as "the natural state."

The suggestion that "most areas" were subject to "selective logging" is abjectly, demonstrably false.

Post industrial societies are bleak low employment, poorly educated hell holes, with parts preserved in aspic that wealthy tourists love because they stay in nicely furnished AirBnBs away from the drug addicted riffraff. This is the real Tasmania:

tasmania.jpg

Not to mention the dozens of towns lack potable water.

The environmental value is not even half the argument. The argument was the industrial society vs post-industrial society, where you pit the industrial approach of pillaging a finite resource at the expense of the potentially infinite post-industrial society approach where that resource is utilised for it's tourism value. This is a particularly relevant argument in Tasmania as it tries to market itself as "the natural state."

The suggestion that "most areas" were subject to "selective logging" is abjectly, demonstrably false.
You are free to believe anything you wish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are free to believe anything you wish.

So what you're really saying is "I'm going to continue denying facts because I am free to believe anything I wish."

As people have started to say in recent years Joe, you're entitled to your own opinion - you aren't entitled to your own facts.

The reason the forests peace deal was necessary was that selective logging was a practice that had pretty much ceased. It was pretty much all clearfelling by the turn of the century.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back