Teams Cleveland Browns - GPODAWUND [sic]

Remove this Banner Ad

Kirk Cousins is a top 15 quarterback. The Browns need a quarterback. They are going to explore every avenue available to help solve the 20 year quarterback problem. By signing cousins it would give them more freedom with the number 1 pick. Having already solved the QB problem it would free them up to take BPA (your man crush Saquon), or trade back to a team that needs a QB.

Now I'm operating under the assumption that Cousins doesn't want to come to Cleveland. In that case we are still in desperate need of a quarterback. Luckily this is a good quarterback class, and we have the top pick. Im not sure why this is so hard to wrap your head around.

While you may be happy for my team to take a running back, put their feet up and say to the rest of the NFL "hey, let us know which QB is going to be the face of our franchise for the next 15 years", I'm not ok with that. While a love Saquon, a top 15 QB is so much more valuable than a top 5 RB.

Maybe Is it because the top qbs this year perhaps arent clear cut franchise qbs? Maybe this year doesnt have a number 1 qb worthy of the spot. If their was a clear franchise qb this year...why isnt even close to consensus by now? Why are 4! Qbs still being floated as pick 1?

Because this is an unusually deep class. However, just because there is not a consensus QB1 doesn't mean CLEVELAND won't have a QB1 by April. In fact it's a certainty that they will know the one QB that they want to be the face of their franchise for the next decade and a half after the combine, pro days and interviews. And you want Cleveland to pass on him to draft a RB, that may still be there at 4. Where do we find them.
THE talent is GOOD this year ...but i think its a step below the franchise qbs we keep hearing about.
If you don't thin there is a franchise Quarterback in the draft, why would you be ok spending the 4th pick on one.

If the pick is qb at 1 then thats fine good luck to Cleveland i hope hes a success. My personal view is there is a generational player available at running back. Id take him.

What do you mean by generational? There have been 2 running backs on par with Barkley in the last 3 drafts.

You'd really take him? Ok, someone let the Titans and Bucs know that they should have taken Gurley over Mariota and Winston. Someone let the Eagles know they should have taken Zeke over Wentz.

I don't want to make it seem like I don't rate Barkley. If he's there at 4 I'd be happy to have him (would rather Minkah but would not be upset at all). If we land Cousins I'd be thrilled to grab both. But we're not taking him 1.

Last edited:

Hue Jacksons personal mouthpiece reporting that Rosen would be happy to play for the Browns.

I have no doubt that Josh would be the QB Hue wants

Hue Jacksons personal mouthpiece reporting that Rosen would be happy to play for the Browns.

I have no doubt that Josh would be the QB Hue wants

More like Rosen is slipping in plenty of mock drafts lately, suddenly realises he should shut his mouth and be grateful if any team in the top 10 picks him.

More like Rosen is slipping in plenty of mock drafts lately, suddenly realises he should shut his mouth and be grateful if any team in the top 10 picks him.

Rosen is going top 5 whether he said this or not.

I see you are unfamiliar with Mike Silvers work. Anything he reports relating to the Browns, he gets from or relays past Jackson. The two are joined at the hip.

Just by watching Rosen though you can tell he fits Hues offence more than any other top QB. Hues press secretary coming out with this just confirms it.

Rosen is going top 5 whether he said this or not.

I see you are unfamiliar with Mike Silvers work. Anything he reports relating to the Browns, he gets from or relays past Jackson. The two are joined at the hip.

Just by watching Rosen though you can tell he fits Hues offence more than any other top QB. Hues press secretary coming out with this just confirms it.

Dude, Im not denying that you know more about the Mike Silver, Hue Jackson, your offense or the Browns than me, you most certainly know more than i.

My post was squarely aimed at Rosen and his s**t dont stink attitude, it had nothing to do with the Browns, if he is selected by Cleveland in the first four picks he should count his blessings. Hopefully for your sake he doesn't turn into the cancer known as Jay Cutler II that many, including myself, believe he is.

He's the most NFL suited QB in this class. Big solid frame. Improvises well. Strong arm. Tough in the pocket. Basically another Phillip Rivers.

All good points. I really like Darnold. His ability to throw accurately on the run is rare. Consistantly makes some unbelievable plays/throws. I wouldn't say he's got a strong arm but it's big enough. He does a wonderful job of keeping his eyes downfield in the face of pressure. Proven winner. Would be very happy for him to be a Brown

His mechanics are a mess though. My reservation with drafting him is that hes more of a project than Rosen or Mayfield. I don't trust this coaching staff to have the patience or ability to get the best out of him like Phillly did with Wentz. His windmill throwing motion doesn't bother me too much because he does actually have a pretty quick release. Though you'd still like to tighten it up to avoid fumbles.

His footwork is a real problem though. Needs a complete overhaul. Often he's throwing the ball with his feet parallel to the line of scrimmage, and it gets him in to trouble. He'll probably always be a turnover prone QB.

Having said that, I'm a firm believer in bad mechanics only being an issue if it hurts your accuracy. And Darnold does seem to have a natural accuracy to his game, though I think if he fixed his footwork it would do take his game to another level. He is also needs to work on his decision making. He can make some head scratchers way too often.

I'm 99% sure Hue will push for Rosen. I thought that before his press secretary all but confirmed it. Rosen suits Hues offence to a tee and will be the better QB week 1 2018. Hues coaching for his job so unless we land Cousins (we won't) I know Hue will make the case for Rosen. Will be interesting what Dorsey and co decide. Personally I like all of Mayfield, Darnold and Rosen so I'll be happy with any of them.

I'll take intangibles over pitch perfect footwork mechanics tho.

Of course, as would anybody. Especially in Darnolds case where he is still naturally accurate despite his awful mechanics. It is still worth noting though. I really like Darnold, i just worry about Hue Jackson and Todd Haley not getting the best out of him.

I'll take intangibles over pitch perfect footwork mechanics tho. Rosen scares the hell out of me. He just isn't gutsy enough imo. Tho he's got great mechanics.

That's a crazy comment IMO. I've seen Rosen get sacked behind a terrible o-line for 3 seasons and continued to keep his eyes down field and make throws milliseconds before contact. To me that showed a tonne of heart. Injuries are a concern, decision making is a concern, guts is not at all a concern.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other important news...

"To close out the conference, which ran about 20 minutes, Jackson was asked for an update on jumping in the lake. He said he’s still going in, and that he’s “going to plan that pretty soon.” It’ll still be connected to the Hue Jackson Foundation, and he added that “hopefully, I can get the whole organization to jump in with me — it’s going to be a cleansing of the Cleveland Browns.”

Wonder if he will get a bigger crowd than the parade ?

:)

Thoughts on Wide Receivers:

Josh Gordon: Something didn't sit right with me the way Josh and Johnny Football were marketing their returns from rehab. But to each their own. I was surprised how good Josh looked after so long out. One of the most talented receivers I've ever seen. The only questions I have with Josh is if he can stay clean and if he does, how is he going to mix with the fiery Haley? Regardless, if I'm in charge I go into the off season under the assumption that Gordon won't be on the team, we can't go into the season 1 Josh Gordon suspension away from Ricardo Louis getting regular snaps. Can't do that to a rookie QB. Hope for Josh's sake that he's turned his life around, and selfishly, watching this gazelle has been one of the few joys I've had watching the Browns SSTR.

Corey Coleman: Oh Corey, Corey, Corey, Corey. I don't think the Browns fan base will ever forgive that drop. Which says more about the fans than it does about Coleman. This is a make or break year for him. He's obviously talented, but needs to work on his route tree, sadly I think drops will always be apart of his game. Needs to make up for it with splash plays, which he's shown he's capable of. Wouldn't hurt to get him a proper quarterback and offensive coordinator too.

Ricardo Louis: Hands of absolute stone. Can't see him ever being a decent NFL QB. Physical freak but can't catch a cold. Good special teamer, see how he goes in training camp, but if Ricardo is on our roster next year id be surprised. I've been wrong about many guys before though.

Rashard Higgins: "Hollywood" may have saved his career with his week 17 performance. I actually like Higgins. Great route runner, good hands. Not explosive but his straight line speed is serviceable. That's a skill set you can work with. I think he can be a decent slot receiver. Would keep him around unless we go crazy in free agency and the draft.

Sammie Coates: Ricardo Louis with worse hands, worse attitude and worse route tree. Solid gunner but I'd have already cut this guy. He literally only runs go routes. Get him outta here.

I expect us to address receiver in both free agency and the draft. Not many options in free agency, A-rob would be the preference but I expect him to get tagged. I'd go after Sammy Watkins and/or Albert Wilson.

We are in a good position to draft a WR with one of our seconds. This is a really deep class with a poor top end. Any of Christian Kirk, James Washington, Anthony Miller, DJ Chark, Courtland Sutton, DJ Moore and Dante Pettis I would consider with one of our 2nd/3rd. Miller, Moore, Washington or Chark would be my preference.

Two months out from the draft still, this is how I think our board looks...

1. Sam Darnold
2. Josh Allen
3. Bradley Chubb

I've got no doubt Chubb is the #1 non QB on our board. All this talk about Barkley going at #1 is a smoke screen I think. If the Giants don't take him at #2, we'll desperately want someone to trade with the Colts to jump ahead of us. Leaving us the best defensive player in Chubb. Or we'd even look to trade up for him. Plus after drafting Kareem Hunt last year, I think Dorsey is content with taking a RB later on. Pick 33 will be earmarked for that.

As for Fitzpatrick, I'm not as high on him anymore. The fact he says he's best played as a slot corner concerns me. That's not what you take in the top four, and we've got a fine one already. And if you're looking at him as a FS, I don't think he's a better prospect than Malik Hooker. And he went at #15 last year. I think we'll look towards free agency and the middle rounds for a free safety prospect.

If Chubb is off the board at #4? I could see us trading back with a QB needy team. Get in the 8-12 range, where most of the corners are looking like going. Or take an offensive tackle or receiver.

But I'll change my mind plenty of times before the draft.

What a great morning.

Tyrod was one of the veteran QBs I wanted, and just a third rounder is pretty good value. Especially considering what we were going to trade for McCarron a few months ago. He'll be able to start for however long is needed. Plus we get a starting WR who is the perfect partner for Gordon and a potential starting CB for a QB who'd have been buried on the depth chart anyway.

In: Landry, Taylor, Randall
Out: Kizer, third round, fourth round and 2019 seventh round

Can't be unhappy with that.

Tyrod wont blow anyone away with his passing game but he should give you some stability on the field and leadership off it.

I wish him and the Browns all the best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back