The wildcard weekend is just basically saying the Finals would expand to a top 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams that finish 5-6 get a week off, then play a team from 7-10 who just went through a wild card final. Team 5 could play team 10.

Doesn't seem fair to the top 4.

They just want to be like the NFL, since the NFL is the best

It’s just embarrassing from the AFL, being a copycat instead of being our unique selves and whilst being the copycat not understanding what they are copying.

If they are so keen on incorrectly calling 7-10 a wildcard weekend why not just call the current version of 5-8 the wildcard for a top 6?

Teams that finish 5-6 get a week off, then play a team from 7-10 who just went through a wild card final. Team 5 could play team 10.

Doesn't seem fair to the top 4.
Why?

Should be less teams in the finals not more

*s sake just leave things as they are. What’s with these fools wanting to constantly change the game.

NFL wildcards often have a better record than the automatic qualifying division winners. That is the only reason they have the system.

This is just the afl being greedy at the expense of the game, again. Having two more s**t teams who haven't been good enough over 22 weeks qualify is idiotic

Why is it unfair for the top 4?

One example.... The top 4 teams are rewarded with a Second Chance in the finals. But the value of the Second Chance is diluted as follows....

- 4th plays the 1st team (the best team, who finished 3 places above them) away from home, after a week off, possibly interstate.

whereas....

- 5th could play 10th (a team that finished 5 spots below them, and 9 spots off the best team) at home, and after a week off when the opposition is coming off contesting a wild card final, and possibly having to travel interstate.

For 4th ... the degree of difficulty of their first final is the highest of all.
For 5th, they don't even need a Second Chance... it couldn't get any easier for them.

[Edit: also, the possibility of a week off during the finals for top 4 teams was diluted in value in 2016 with the week off for all the teams before finals commence]

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they want to make it wildcard then think outside the box. Maybe two teams in the 7-10 positions qualify for the finals based on their record against the teams finishing 1-6. Just scheduling an extra match in a week off doesn't really qualify as anything.

For 4th ... the degree of difficulty of their first final is the highest of all.
For 5th, they don't even need a Second Chance... it couldn't get any easier for them.

Wut?

what happens the week after
What happens if 4th loses
What happens if 5th loses

Perhaps you would like 1st to play 18th with a GF spot reserved if 1st wins

We've made finals in 4 of the past 5 years.

Same as you.

Fair point.

I was referring to the last 30 years whenever the number of finals teams expanded, the joke was always "Richmond will be happy", or even AFL conspiracy to get Richmond in the finals. I also remember Richmond finishing 7th... and the next year they expanded the final 6 to a final 8 but then Richmond finished 9th. (this might be a false memory).

Wut?
what happens the week after
What happens if 4th loses
What happens if 5th loses
Perhaps you would like 1st to play 18th with a GF spot reserved if 1st wins

I can see that you ask see some rhetorical questions, but i have not idea what point you are making.

I say stuff it, just have every team make the Finals......March Madness style would be fun and intense

I sort of dislike Qualifying Finals where a team can't be eliminated from the Finals

also the double chance isn't as good as the old top 5 system where the top 3 teams actually did get a double chance through the Finals if they lost 1 game other than week 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back