2018 JLT Series - Richmond v Nth Melbourne, Wed, 7.05pm, Ikon Park

Remove this Banner Ad

fun fact - Richmond has won its last 7 games straight by an average of 62 points. Percentage in the order of 200%+

Not true. You lost your AFLX match against Brisbane by 5 points.

So practice matches count but not the genuine high-stakes competition of AFLX? :think:
Small rectangle field, limited players on the ground, strange rules. At one stage Jayden Short did an incredible smother, pure desperation and killed the ball/play, Dimma and players would be chuffed, but it went over the line and he was penalised, so NO aflx doesn't count.

Thing that will annoy me when a team does beat Richmond commenators and media will say "Tigers had an off night" and give no credit to said team.
Saints beat us last year and the commentators didn't say we had an off night (even though half the team had the flue and the Captain had full on gastro) but praised the Saints hinting they will make the finals on the back of it.

Small rectangle field, limited players on the ground, strange rules. At one stage Jayden Short did an incredible smother, pure desperation and killed the ball/play, Dimma and players would be chuffed, but it went over the line and he was penalised, so NO aflx doesn't count.

I'm taking the piss a bit. But praccy matches don't count, let's not hold these results aloft with anything other than mild interest. I'm not celebrating finally beating North for the first time in a decade after our JLT1.

I just can't see the point in North playing a high possession game at the moment.

We have some big blokes in the forward line that can clunk a ball, so when a 50/50 scenario happens, we should just drop it on their heads.

Sure, we might not retain possession, but at least we take yardage off the opposition and can press them back in to the forward half.
Gotta play to your strengths and bugger the trend imo. Takes some courage from the coaches but could be well worth it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Far too much smiling out there for my liking. Enjoyin themselves n that. Your job as a coach is to instill anxiety, dread, and the fear of god into the players.

I hope Dimma has reminded the lads they are the WORST PREMIERSHIP TEAM EVER!

Different issue than saying the Tigers get an easy run. I doubt the AFL are trying to manipulate a pre-season match...

I don't know where you managed to find a conspiracy theory.

The umpires are umpiring how they are trained to umpire. The rubbish stems from here.

I'm not alone in this thinking

Three-time Hawthorn premiership player Don Scott is growing more and more disillusioned with the changing landscape of AFL football.

The Hawks’ team of the century ruckman believes the AFL’s push to introduce a “super panel” to replace the AFL Laws of the Game Committee - which would oversee how the league develops into the future including ventures like AFLX - is just pushing further away from the core of the sport.

“The game is nowhere near what it was years ago. It has just gone so far ahead,” Scott told SEN Breakfast.

“Everybody is trying to justify their position and that’s why they make a change and it has just gone so far from what football is all about.

“People are becoming very disillusioned to how it’s going.”

Scott says the current drama surrounding country football in Victoria is symptomatic of this disconnect between the game’s headquarters and the people.

Bl

The umpires are umpiring how they are trained to umpire. The rubbish stems from here.

Three-time Hawthorn premiership player Don Scott is growing more and more disillusioned with the changing landscape of AFL football.

The Hawks’ team of the century ruckman believes the AFL’s push to introduce a “super panel” to replace the AFL Laws of the Game Committee - which would oversee how the league develops into the future including ventures like AFLX - is just pushing further away from the core of the sport.

“The game is nowhere near what it was years ago. It has just gone so far ahead,” Scott told SEN Breakfast.

“Everybody is trying to justify their position and that’s why they make a change and it has just gone so far from what football is all about.

Scott says the current drama surrounding country football in Victoria is symptomatic of this disconnect between the game’s headquarters and the people.

Quoting Don Scott is a problem in itself, however the state of the game in people’s mind correlates to their teams performance.

Most rational supporters have no issue with the current game, supported by record memberships, digital content and game day attendances.

The product today is far superior to years past, including the standard of the game and viewing. The umpiring wlll always be questioned and always has.

Don Scott’s assertion that local grassroots footy is in decline isn’t incorrect, it’s rather his reason for it ........ it’s not ALL the fault of the AFL.

Last edited:

I was referring to your earlier post highlighting some poor calls you thought went our way, but didnt mention any poor calls the other way. You said something along the lines of Richmond getting a good run again, as if to imply the umpiring was Richmond bias.

On the whole I agree woth your point that the game is overumpired and a lot of touch and go calls for soft frees are called, but this occurs in most matches for both teams.

I was referring to your earlier post highlighting some poor calls you thought went our way, but didnt mention any poor calls the other way. You said something along the lines of Richmond getting a good run again, as if to imply the umpiring was Richmond bias.

No, on the whole it's generally rubbish across the board. Richmond certainly got the rub of the green on Wednesday when it came to points gifted from frees.

On the whole I agree woth your point that the game is overumpired and a lot of touch and go calls for soft frees are called, but this occurs in most matches for both teams.

The ridiculous frees that end up in goals will always dominate these discussions unless a match defining blunder occurs.

No, on the whole it's generally rubbish across the board. Richmond certainly got the rub of the green on Wednesday when it came to points gifted from frees.

The ridiculous frees that end up in goals will always dominate these discussions unless a match defining blunder occurs.
Yes, but hard game to umpire and it will never be a 50/50 split. Id love for them to ignore the 50/50 calls and only umpire on the obvious foul plays, but the laws are written a certain way and we have to many different interpretations between umpires, the AFL, players and supporters.

I want consistancy within games. Umpire the same in the 1st quarter as you wpuld in the last minute. Why is it less or more of a push in the dying moments of the game than it was earlier?

Yes, but hard game to umpire and it will never be a 50/50 split. Id love for them to ignore the 50/50 calls and only umpire on the obvious foul plays, but the laws are written a certain way and we have to many different interpretations between umpires, the AFL, players and supporters.

Hey, I would cop a 40/60 split.

Drew Petrie spent the last half of his career getting completely mauled and a whistle rarely found lips.

I want consistancy within games. Umpire the same in the 1st quarter as you wpuld in the last minute. Why is it less or more of a push in the dying moments of the game than it was earlier?

Of course I agree with you. My point was about the reality of how people react.

Thats only because Dichmond were good enough to take advantage of the free kicks, and North were unable to stop them, and North didn’t take advantage of theirs because Richmond's defence is too good for them.

The whole umpiring thing is mostly complete bull**it. Even the “consistency”. There’s often only 10 frees in an entire half. If a couple are judged slightly differently, then people crow about inconsistencies. And sometimes they even, god forbid, make a mistake. Go to a game as an independent observer. I’ve been to many, and the umpiring is absolutely excellent. Go to your own team's game and they’re always against you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back