Review JLT2: Freo vs Eagles

Kunna17

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
What have they done? Sheridan won the 2 km preseason time trial, with Sutcliffe the runner up. Or do you mean, aside from the better sanitation and medicine and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order, what have the romans ever done for us?

We may not have both Hills for round 1, the reality is that not all players can play on the wing. So amongst a few others that haven't locked down a role, Sheridan, Sutcliffe and Pearce are legitimate contenders.
Exactly this.
The whole "Play the youth" thing kinda loses purpose when you just play the youngest guy on your list because hes young. Everyone that remains on the list (ie. isnt delisted at the end of the year) should be treated as a possible best 22 player regardless of age, experience or previous seasons. So starting fresh this season, Sutcliffe and Sheridan have both had big preseasons and D.Pearce seems to offer a lot as a 'leader' type. Playing Crowden over these guys just says to him, "oh you look alright, you can play."

Make them earn it, as Brayshaw seems to have with impressive preseason results and these guys will end up much better and more driven players.

yakamoto

Club Legend
May 8, 2008
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
It’s so obvious isn’t it? Why can’t Ross see it? We should stuff the team full of kids with a view to losing all the early games, overloading the mature players to the point of exhaustion, and developing a really, really long injury list. We can then introduce Pearce, Spurr et al in the back end of the season so that we can go into 2019 brimming with optimism and confidence.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I get both sides of the debate about playing youngsters vs experienced fringe. For what it's worth I thought Sutcliffe was good at training yesterday and Danyle was a heap more focussed than he was on Wednesday (like almost polar opposite). With Hughes not yet ready it makes sense to pick Spurr, rather than put Sutty or Sheridan back there. The reality is guys like Cerra and Crowden are going to get a heap more midfield minutes playing for Peel this afternoon - just like Darcy is. Big picture our young guys aren't going to be able to play every game anyway, so staggering their debuts and properly developing them at Peel is the right thing to do. Be patient, I am almost certain we'll see a lot of them playing AFL games this season.

Oct 18, 2013
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Too much youth = do not compete with teams with older bodies
Too many veterans = do not develop youth
Too many undeserved selections = do not reward effort and talent

Personally (given what I saw of who worked hardest in the pre-season) I think we're balancing these forces pretty well so far - certainly better than in previous years.

Pre-season points however go out the window come the real thing... from then on in, I expect to see selections on youth/talent/effort... reputation means nothing in a rebuilding team.

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
Big picture our young guys aren't going to be able to play every game anyway, so staggering their debuts and properly developing them at Peel is the right thing to do. Be patient, I am almost certain we'll see a lot of them playing AFL games this season
I really wish some people would stop posting sensible stuff like this and go back to melting and microwaving memberships and petitioning the club to sack everyone from the CEO to the water boy.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Pretty physical game between Crows and Port, and I expect it could be similar for us tomorrow. Pretty happy with the mix we have for that if it does in fact get a bit willing.

Carson Dial

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think tomorrow will be a litmus test (google it Ross) for how we will go this year. We’ll be facing a WCE outfit at about 90% full strength. If we are within a goal or two plus or minus, I think we could hope to be in 10th to 12th by the end of the season, bearing in mind they made the 8 with Ploddis and Mitchell as their engine room last year.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I think tomorrow will be a litmus test (google it Ross) for how we will go this year. We’ll be facing a WCE outfit at about 90% full strength. If we are within a goal or two plus or minus, I think we could hope to be in 10th to 12th by the end of the season, bearing in mind they made the 8 with Ploddis and Mitchell as their engine room last year.
Not even close to being a litmus test.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

What do you think a litmus test is?

As far as I remember, a litmus test produces one of two results only. I’m pretty sure the entire outcome of the whole season won’t rest on one preseason game.

Carson Dial

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle

As far as I remember, a litmus test produces one of two results only. I’m pretty sure the entire outcome of the whole season won’t rest on one preseason game.

Correct but it will give an indication whether we are moving in the right direction.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I don’t think Lyon takes games like this seriously at all. He is just as likely to use it to test little microcosms of his game plan. He is not playing the full number of players to test fitness and see how performance under fatigue factors in. He could very well have included players in tomorrow’s game so that he can rule them out for the real season.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Anyway, I am surprised at how seriously some on here take the preseason games. Mostly teams are just blowing off the cobwebs and trying to get everyone in something resembling a healthy and competitive state.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Litmus is a measure of pH, and I stand by my original post that this will be an indicator of the direction we are moving in.

I agree with you that it will be an indicator. But not an important one.

Which is the problem when journos ask questions using terms they don’t really understand, isn’t it?
Because a litmus test comes out red (pH 1-5) or blue (pH 9-14) it doesn’t make sense using it as an analogy for seeing how the team will go for the rest of the year.
It’s like saying “if we lose we’re s**t and will get the wooden spoon, but if we win we’re awesome and will feature in the finals”. No wonder Lyon played silly buggers when asked that question last year.
Now if only litmus gave a range of results equating to different pHs (or a range of outcomes through the year) then it would be a good analogy. But Universal Indicator test doesn’t roll off the tongue.

Im pretty sure Ross didn’t need to google it, by the way.

Back