Learnings from the JLT and scratchy

Remove this Banner Ad

Walking past Crowden and about 3 or 4 other youngsters on the way home last night and they were chuffed with Ryan. "How good was Lukey?"

In a completely seperate incident, after Liam Ryan's big bump he came towards the interchange. Had a minor altercation with a freo player and then slapped him which was a bit of a surprise.

Last edited:
Walking past Crowden and about 3 or 4 other youngsters on the way home last night and they were chuffed with Ryan. "How good was Lukey?"

After Liam Ryan's big bump he came towards the interchange. Had a minor altercation with a freo player and then slapped him which was a bit of a surprise.

Liam Ryan slapped a Freo player or Luke did?

Taberner is so far ahead of Mccarthy and Kersten yet people still want to criticise his game and let the other two off without mention.

Tabs kicks two goals and misses one while McCarthy misses both of his shots. But Tabs' is the one with suspect kicking.

Tabs had more possessions, marks, contested marks and goals than Cam and Kersten combined. Basically beat them each in every stat. Clearly working alot harder.

McCarthy and Kersten are the two weak links in our forward line at the moment.

Gosh there are a fair few whinge buckets in here....get the white sage out, cleanse them! They clearly have attachments ;):p:eek:

Anyone else find Luke Ryan sexy a.f??? In so many ways...
I don't know about that, but his football is looking tremendous. A real win for our recruiters. I was at training last season on a beautiful Perth winter's day with a big blue sky. He came out on the track, raised his arms and said 'another day in Paradise'. I was quite taken with him.

Taberner is so far ahead of Mccarthy and Kersten yet people still want to criticise his game and let the other two off without mention.

Tabs kicks two goals and misses one while McCarthy misses both of his shots. But Tabs' is the one with suspect kicking.

Tabs had more possessions, marks, contested marks and goals than Cam and Kersten combined. Basically beat them each in every stat. Clearly working alot harder.

Not only that but 2 goals early after wce hit the scoreboard first helped get freo into the game. Although he was on the end of some good passages of play up the ground u need to take advantage of that by hitting the scoreboard and give reward for effort to the guys upfield.
You cant underestimate the importance of early goals especially the first one to settle the nerves.

They are indeed our weak links. At best they are rating a borderline pass mark, and they need to show improvement.

I'm not looking for a star-studded forward line, and to some extent I think that is a bit of a trap as the team can become too one dimensional. And while I agree that they need to improve I did like that our forward line presented a few different options to the incoming midfielders.

I always thought that the key to them developing was for us to have a number 1 tall forward who is allowing these 2 to get the lesser defenders one on one. If that is what happens regularly then McCarthy and Kersten will have nowhere to hide.

There's so much to like right now, I don't even know where to start....the fact the Eagles have become poop is a pretty good one. a 60-odd point win and thrashing of the arch slimebags has to be another. Ohhh - Meek's little dish off to Ballas. That was kinda tasty, right..?!

I am deadly serious. I will risk my reputation as a respectable amateur journalist on the world-renowed stage of BigFooty - but I am saying the Genesis of a Premiership winning team is well underway. Yes, I know - I am putting it out there; let the heretics, halfwits, hobbits, John Wayne Bobbits (west Coast fans muwhahaha...) and harangue crew have at it, but I can see it unfolding before my very eyes - the GENESIS, the beginnings, the nucleus - whatever, however you want to define it is starting to evolve, Neale looks like he could be contending for a Brownlow, Sandi has turned back the clock and looks as fit as he's been in his 30s to date and Mundy and other players in the engine room look like they could have major impact compared to the last 2 seasons. Alex Pearce!!! Welcome the F back son, we have missed you!

Ryan and Wilson - if they don't make you 'wet', then you might want to 'head' over to the Erotic Dolphin Peepshow thread for some 'melting' of a different kind! Tabs is looking primed, stronger, ready. Agree with Uniques that Kersten and Mac are probably the weak link going forward, but I still think Macs will come good and Kersts may have to make way for a Cox or someone else eventually, he just doesn't look good enough overall.

Not sure why Cox was or has been overlooked (slight niggles?). But his contested marking at the back end of last year was ace. His set shot kicking wasn't, but surely he should be looked at. Tabs has to start round 1 and get a good look in this year. Clearly improved by a country mile.

Yes, I know - I realise it's only scratchies and the real season, the TRUE tests start Mar 24th, but fluff me - the negative ninnies are out in force with their pitchforks and flabby tongues. This is the future unfolding before our very eyes and as Borat would say "I like, sexay time!!!'.

D.Pearce et al can't play forever and eventually that wheel is gonna turn. Turn up the heat, bring the contest and execute the skills - of which have DEFINITELY started to improve and it's going to make a marked difference. Ballas definitely redeemed himself, but he has a lot to prove yet going into the season. Let's hope this was more of what we are going to see than the previous encounters.

Banfield and Brayshaw already get me excited, add in Crowden, Cerra and others to come and it doesn't take an Einstein high on DMT to see the future looks promising; but oddly enough...maybe so does the present.

Then there's the 2 Hills and a Bennell - a Logue, a Hughes and a Pear tree in a partridge...... etc etc :rolleyes:

Are we getting the message yet.............?!:D

It might not happen today....or tomorrow....or even this entire season (who really knows...).

But sh**.....this is gonna get good! Real, real good............

and now I must excuse myself as I have to get ready to run my shop....have an awesome day ladies and gentlemen :p

There's so much to like right now, I don't even know where to start....the fact the Eagles have become poop is a pretty good one. a 60-odd point win and thrashing of the arch slimebags has to be another. Ohhh - Meek's little dish off to Ballas. That was kinda tasty, right..?!

I am deadly serious. I will risk my reputation as a respectable amateur journalist on the world-renowed stage of BigFooty - but I am saying the Genesis of a Premiership winning team is well underway. Yes, I know - I am putting it out there; let the heretics, halfwits, hobbits, John Wayne Bobbits (west Coast fans muwhahaha...) and harangue crew have at it, but I can see it unfolding before my very eyes - the GENESIS, the beginnings, the nucleus - whatever, however you want to define it is starting to evolve, Neale looks like he could be contending for a Brownlow, Sandi has turned back the clock and looks as fit as he's been in his 30s to date and Mundy and other players in the engine room look like they could have major impact compared to the last 2 seasons. Alex Pearce!!! Welcome the F back son, we have missed you!

Ryan and Wilson - if they don't make you 'wet', then you might want to 'head' over to the Erotic Dolphin Peepshow thread for some 'melting' of a different kind! Tabs is looking primed, stronger, ready. Agree with Uniques that Kersten and Mac are probably the weak link going forward, but I still think Macs will come good and Kersts may have to make way for a Cox or someone else eventually, he just doesn't look good enough overall.

Not sure why Cox was or has been overlooked (slight niggles?). But his contested marking at the back end of last year was ace. His set shot kicking wasn't, but surely he should be looked at. Tabs has to start round 1 and get a good look in this year. Clearly improved by a country mile.

Yes, I know - I realise it's only scratchies and the real season, the TRUE tests start Mar 24th, but fluff me - the negative ninnies are out in force with their pitchforks and flabby tongues. This is the future unfolding before our very eyes and as Borat would say "I like, sexay time!!!'.

D.Pearce et al can't play forever and eventually that wheel is gonna turn. Turn up the heat, bring the contest and execute the skills - of which have DEFINITELY started to improve and it's going to make a marked difference. Ballas definitely redeemed himself, but he has a lot to prove yet going into the season. Let's hope this was more of what we are going to see than the previous encounters.

Banfield and Brayshaw already get me excited, add in Crowden, Cerra and others to come and it doesn't take an Einstein high on DMT to see the future looks promising; but oddly enough...maybe so does the present.

Then there's the 2 Hills and a Bennell - a Logue, a Hughes and a Pear tree in a partridge...... etc etc :rolleyes:

Are we getting the message yet.............?!:D

It might not happen today....or tomorrow....or even this entire season (who really knows...).

But sh**.....this is gonna get good! Real, real good............
I refer you to my avatar as another example of what you’ve just described

Is it too simplistic to say our biggest improvement has come from our effort and/or fitness? Pressure and running and spreading is 100% indicative of effort and with such a young list, their fitness base keeps getting better with more preseasons.

I also think our list is probably the most skillful we've ever had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly you are a member of the sack Ross brigade if your take homes from watching that game was all these items.

Clearly, you can't discuss anything without making accusations which suit your agenda. Trying to shut down a discussion using the 'sack Ross Lyon brigade' excuse is quite pitiful. Just remember, the 'Ross Lyon can do no wrong' brigade has far more members even if you disregard their troll and duplicate accounts.

He was playing well before he got sent to Peel, then got scapegoated for a couple of big losses in wet conditions.

Our entire team lost confidence as a result of playing with no forward structure. We had Suban playing CHF ffs. We were #1 in the league for conceding intercept marks inside our own 50 because we had nobody who could mark the ball when Taberner didn't play.
Incorrect. Tabs came in and started out very well and got worse every game as his confidence dropped. Him being dropped was exactly what he needed, easing the pressure and reminding him to focus at all times. He is a beast when his confidence is high. What we saw was an extended run in the WAFL before coming back in some pretty good form again. It's been a slow build, but he seems to have finally arrived.

Well what???

We played like this last year when teams did not apply any pressure. There has been a few tweaks but nothing radical to suggest that when pressure is applied, the whole team will become a rabble again. Given Lyon has no PLAN B, it's more than likely things won't improve. If they do, then I'm happy to be proved wrong.
We played like that last year? Are you actually serious? The game style Freo played with yesterday is incomparable to how they played last year. Attacking with speed through the corridor vs turning it over. I'm guessing you're referring to the odd bomb into the forward line, but they still scored over 100 so clearly it wasn't that big of an issue that some of the entries got cut off.

For me it was a big grain of salt since WC couldn't have played much worse but...

Lachie was great.
Tabs was great.
Andy is going to rival Sonny and Luke as my favourite player in no time.
Banfield was v.good.
Ballas was 2014 vintage today.
Tucker was excellent too.
Everyone else was ok-good.

Still get shivers when DP, Sutty or Spurr go to kick, especially in the back half or to the centre of the ground. Glad Langdon is mostly forward or I would feel the same about him too. Like the rest of what he does though.

Think we learnt more about how bad West Coast are more than how good we are. But we've clearly improved.
It is pretty much 90% this. You can't tell how good we are based on playing the Eagles. They were putrid.

That said, pretty sure even at their best that midfield is going to get plenty of baths this year.

They are quick to point out how (rightfully) slow Priddis and Mitchell were, but instead of them slowly chasing the ball 50% of the time, their ****y midfield can chase it fast 75% of the time since they won't have the thing as often without those two.

Anyone else find Luke Ryan sexy a.f??? In so many ways...
Yes. Hetero male but would bang 10/10.

The bin chickens are really going to struggle this year. With JK out or recovering, and Nic nat's knee as fragile as my grandma's china knick knack collection, their backline, as good as it is, will not be able to stop the midfield onslaught of most teams.

We played like that last year? Are you actually serious? The game style Freo played with yesterday is incomparable to how they played last year. Attacking with speed through the corridor vs turning it over. I'm guessing you're referring to the odd bomb into the forward line, but they still scored over 100 so clearly it wasn't that big of an issue that some of the entries got cut off.
It is just a little unlikely that someone who has been watching over the past few seasons can't see changes in the way we play, and most importantly, in the make up of our list that will inevitably impact the game we play. Sure we have some veterans still getting a game, but those contracts all have end dates. There time is marked and their replacements are in the system.

The bin chickens are really going to struggle this year. With JK out or recovering, and Nic nat's knee as fragile as my grandma's china knick knack collection, their backline, as good as it is, will not be able to stop the midfield onslaught of most teams.
NicNat will help a little but if that JK out till round 12 rumour is true they are curtains. They got away with a pedestrian midfield (which is now even worse) because they had arguably the best spine in the comp. JGov can only do so much. Any team lower their eyes kicking into F50 against them is going to belt them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back