Song Contest Part X, Host: SM, Theme: Acts You Loved As a Kid, Noms Due: Sunday: 9:00pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t like sharing my votes because I’m a s**t campaigner at voting...
How is that even possible? Voting is subjective , as is this entire contest in general. How can anyone be good or bad at it?

Yeah I only like vote disclosure for those who want to share.
I like having it, I like finding out who voted for me (and no , I don't have a go at people for billying me, unlike some...)
They also help keep the host accountable (because any errors become obvious)

Both times I've hosted I've ****** it up. The first time I deleted everyone's PMs as I read them and the second time I forgot how to count.

Must've been due to the arrival of HBM.

Theres been a reason I havent won for a whole calendar year..............................
Deliberately phoning it in :p ? I do that too, but not because I want to lose (just because of #integrity)
Not winning, but being able to host = best of both worlds .

If I could double like this , I would

I wondered how Dumbledore recognised the taste of earwax in the first place :eek:
I was reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets to my kids last night. When Dumbledore says 'If you want proof, Harry, that you belong in Gryffindor, I suggest you take a closer look at THIS' my mind went into the gutter and I suffered a fit of giggles. I couldn't continue for 10 minutes. I'd read a few words and burst out giggling. Composed myself enough to get there in the end though.

I was reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets to my kids last night. When Dumbledore says 'If you want proof, Harry, that you belong in Gryffindor, I suggest you take a closer look at THIS' my mind went into the gutter and I suffered a fit of giggles. I couldn't continue for 10 minutes. I'd read a few words and burst out giggling. Composed myself enough to get there in the end though.
Not the Philosphers Stones! :eek:

Best father ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets to my kids last night.
Glad to hear that you’re parenting properly :D
How old are they ?
I love the illustrated editions (even though I’m an adult , and don’t have any kids) , but it’s also hard to beat the originals!

When Dumbledore says 'If you want proof, Harry, that you belong in Gryffindor, I suggest you take a closer look at THIS' my mind went into the gutter and I suffered a fit of giggles. I couldn't continue for 10 minutes. I'd read a few words and burst out giggling. Composed myself enough to get there in the end though.
Never read it that way before , but haha
What did you say to your kids ?

Also JKR herself isn’t above putting in subtle jokes in the books ....

This is an excerpt from an old interview

“Q: In the Goblet of Fire Dumbledore said his brother was prosecuted for practicing inappropriate charms [JKR buries her head, to laughter] on a goat; what were the inappropriate charms he was practicing on that goat?
JKR: How old are you?

Eight.

JKR: I think that he was trying to make a goat that was easy to keep clean [laughter], curly horns. That’s a joke that works on a couple of levels. I really like Aberforth and his goats. But you know Aberforth having this strange fondness for goats if you’ve read book seven, came in really useful to Harry, later on, because a goat, a stag, you know. If you’re a stupid Death Eater, what’s the difference. So, that is my answer to YOU.
[loud applause]

“​

Sat on my phone for ten minutes literally debating whether or not to blow 13 bucks on secret of mana and promptly fell asleep.

Anyway a couple of Harry potter jokes (glad a certain ex commissioner isn't here to bitch about the books) that I enjoy:

I think it was in prisoner of azkaban when hermione grabs Harry's robes in terror but it's written as "'Harry,' Hermione moaned, pulling him hard," or words to that effect.

I love many of the times when swearing is implied but by far my favourite was in book six in the magic shop written something like: "Ron swore, dropped the box and made several rude hand gestures which unfortunately caught the eye of mrs. Weasley"

How is that even possible? Voting is subjective , as is this entire contest in general. How can anyone be good or bad at it?

I’m not really fussed. Mostly I’m too lazy

5 Interpol. You probably saw that coming a mile away!
4 Devin Townsend
3 Modest Mouse
2 Marcy Playground
1 Napalm Death, because I don’t wanna give OES votes if he nommed FNM!

HMs Faith No More, Star Wars theme, Ween, Travis, Royal Blood

Billy Redgum. Surely these guys didn’t do I Was Only 19...?

Sat on my phone for ten minutes literally debating whether or not to blow 13 bucks on secret of mana and promptly fell asleep.
iFAiWZL.gif

Glad to hear that you’re parenting properly :D
How old are they ?
I love the illustrated editions (even though I’m an adult , and don’t have any kids) , but it’s also hard to beat the originals!

Never read it that way before , but haha
What did you say to your kids ?

Also JKR herself isn’t above putting in subtle jokes in the books ....

This is an excerpt from an old interview

“Q: In the Goblet of Fire Dumbledore said his brother was prosecuted for practicing inappropriate charms [JKR buries her head, to laughter] on a goat; what were the inappropriate charms he was practicing on that goat?
JKR: How old are you?

Eight.

JKR: I think that he was trying to make a goat that was easy to keep clean [laughter], curly horns. That’s a joke that works on a couple of levels. I really like Aberforth and his goats. But you know Aberforth having this strange fondness for goats if you’ve read book seven, came in really useful to Harry, later on, because a goat, a stag, you know. If you’re a stupid Death Eater, what’s the difference. So, that is my answer to YOU.
[loud applause]

“​
They're 11 and 7. They're loving it. We're starting Azkaban tonight.

I've had a quick look at the illustrated ones- will have to get those at some point.

Lol, I added 'Take a closer look at THIS Dumbledore said, pulling down his pants'. They encourage me to add the occasional joke, makes sure they're paying attention too haha.

Lol I forgot about the goat. It's amazing re-reading the books how many exploitable lines like those there are.

I've had a quick look at the illustrated ones- will have to get those at some point.

Lol, I added 'Take a closer look at THIS Dumbledore said, pulling down his pants'. They encourage me to add the occasional joke, makes sure they're paying attention too haha.

Lol I forgot about the goat. It's amazing re-reading the books how many exploitable lines like those there are.

So many kids books have potentially dirty lines in them its funny..I wonder if they do it on purpose to keep the adults interested when reading to their kids.

can you expand on this a bit? I am keen if the idea is what I think it is.
Just any kind of music/artist that could be classed as experimental, so like Death Grips, Bjork, Xiu Xiu.

I guess if we wanted to be objective about it you could use the genres on Rateyourmusic or something as the guidelines.

Haha Best dad ever! And speaking of goats , some of these posts are GOAT.

Glad they’re enjoying the books too
PoA is one of my favourites (in case my username didn’t give that away ), so I hope they love it too ^^

Just any kind of music/artist that could be classed as experimental, so like Death Grips, Bjork, Xiu Xiu.

I guess if we wanted to be objective about it you could use the genres on Rateyourmusic or something as the guidelines.

Experimental music isn't generally well received here though from memory.

Haha Best dad ever! And speaking of goats , some of these posts are GOAT.

Glad they’re enjoying the books too
PoA is one of my favourites (in case my username didn’t give that away ), so I hope they love it too ^^
Why don't you start a Harry Potter thread? There seems like there'd be enough GD interest to keep you going.

Experimental music isn't generally well received here though from memory.
Yeah which is why it would be good, because people would be forced to actually listen and vote for it instead of just handing out Billies because it's different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back