Short-Lived or Forgotten Media Careers of Ex-Players

Remove this Banner Ad

BillyBrainless

Debutant
Jul 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Judd replacing Lyon on Footy Classified got me thinking about some other ex-players that have embarked on media careers but who were swiftly shown the door soon afterwards.

I only have vague recollections of most of them but I never hear any mention that they even existed, even on the players' Wikipedia pages.

There was some pre-game show on 7 with John Longmire as host and I think Mick McGuane and Michael Christian had another show on 7, until people realised that Mick clearly had a face for radio. Then there's Archer on Footy Classified who didn't seem to want to burn a single bridge with a current player and was given his marching orders.

These players started in an age where you weren't expected to be a polished media performer throughout your career so some of them were clearly out of their element.

I don't know whether guys like Longmire wanted a break from the AFL world but had the idea of coaching later on or whether they thought they were going to have a career in the media and just didn't have what it took.

Anyone have any recollections of the shortest-lived or most disastrous media career by an ex-player?

“We goddageddda engage with our minds...and our hearts.”

...if ever there was guy who took himself too seriously.

Staying on topic, whilst he was one of my footballing heroes at Carlton, SOS was the classic 'Captain Obvious' when doing special comments on Channel 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nathan Buckley was on fox for a year i think

I really enjoyed Bucks as a commentator.

Though I appreciate the contribution he's made as a coach.

I guess its Kirk's earnestness made him inspiring as a captain and coach also makes him a dud in media. Likewise Roos' lame folksiness comes off like a dad joke on TV but it somehow worked on the playing group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back