Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently the studio had reservations on the plot, believing it was too complex for audiences.

They asked Alex Garland to change it, he refused, so they sold it to Netflix.
And we the viewer are better for it rather than Comic book crap and recycled story lines

And we the viewer are better for it rather than Comic book crap and recycled story lines
Yep.

Superhero and Star Wars films need to go away. They are incredibly boring and/or generic.

I'm just going to riff on this because it's a film I'll keep thinking about for the rest of the year.

I gotta first talk about the book though. Annihilation is probably the best thing sci-fi I've read in years. It's personal, it's confusing, it's indescribable - so almost exactly like the film, yet different. I was pretty amped when I heard Garland was doing the 'adaptation' because he is one of the best sci-fi minds running around.

But I put 'adaptation' in quotation marks, because Annihilation the movie really isn't. It follows the basic idea of Area X and an all-female crew, centred around a biologist, but the rest comes from Garland's brilliant, Lovecraft esque mind. The two are like siblings but if one was orphaned, because in an effort to make Annihilation at least semi-coherent to the average moviegoer, it makes perfect sense why.

Which gets me to film itself and man, what a ride. I'm thankful for how quickly it left the source material behind because I wasn't bogged down book expectations and just watched back in awe as Garland and Portman cooked. It'll be easy to label it as a visceral experience, but there's something to be said about how Garland creates things in this world that are equal parts terrifying, beautiful and even sad. But then that's supplemented with just these internal performances that culminate in a final act that is incredibly profound. Garland is trying for something more deeply connected to human entropy than VanderMeer did in the book, and it's not perfect but it was pretty special to watch.

Deadass go ask your mates, find the one with the biggest tv/projector and turn the sound, goddamn the sound, all the way up, and experience it the way it should be.

Dunkirk

Complete ******* s**t.

3/10
Don't understand the hate for Dunkirk looking through the previous posts. I thought this was a masterpiece showing a number of stories for different characters and what the war was like. There were some flat moments and lingered at times, but there were several key poignant moments that made this a hit in my eyes.

I loved the intrigue and mystery around the main character who wasn't initially introduced.

The scene with Mr Dawson near the end was really hard to watch without being overcome with man tears, and delving into his motivation.
I give this 8.5/10.

Dunkirk

Complete ******* s**t.

3/10

Not enough women ?? lol

Was talkin to my dear old mum about the " controversy " over this film.
Apparently it was criticized for being a sausage-fest :drunk:

Here's me thinking people were giving it s**t because it was a defeat

Not enough women ?? lol

Was talkin to my dear old mum about the " controversy " over this film.
Apparently it was criticized for being a sausage-fest :drunk:

Here's me thinking people were giving it s**t because it was a defeat

I didn't notice tbh, I was too busy focusing keeping my eyes open waiting for the movie to get good which for the most part was a losing battle. Over-hyped snooze fest would be my main gripe. The lucky breaks that the poms kept getting throughout the movie was the only emotion the movie evoked... Unfortunately it was laughter and utter disbelief.

The Outsider : Set in mid 1950's Japan, while in jail, Jared Leto does a fellow inmate who happens to be a Yakuza member a big favour, and upon release duly joins the gang, despite the annoying total lack of sub titles, and more than 3/4 of the dialogue in Japanese, i quite enjoyed this movie, plenty of blood and a bit of nudity, 7/10

Annihilation
* I'd love to wake up next to Ms. Portman. What a piece of honey. Love science fiction and thought this was a good take on it. A couple'a plot holes but otherwise a well-written and executed film. Garland nails the soundtrack too 7.5/10.

Watched Red dragon last night on fox for about the 40th *en time. Good movie. I'd rather fox replay old but good movies as opposed to the s**t they constantly serve up.

Public enemies this morning. Good flick. Enjoyed that movie.

On gangster ones and Johnny Depp, Black Mass, * that campaigner was intense in that movie. He played a great role, scary. That's as good as acting as you can get I reckon. Completely unlike him in person { obviously } but also in the other movies he's made. Secret Window he did a great job too, I loved him in Donnie Brasco. That was a great movie.

A Fantastic Woman - the Oscar winner for Best Foreign Language Film, this Chilean movie told the story of a transsexual woman whose partner suddenly dies trying to deal with the bigotry, transphobia and homophobia of both his family and society at large. I have a few trans friends and have heard stories of transphobia, and definitely understand homophobia remains an issue today, but I did ponder that it may have been overdone in this film, wherein the majority of characters were aggressively bigoted (I do accept I'm certainly no expert on the Chilean experience). Nevertheless, I did think this was an extremely well done film, powerful but understated, and beautifully made. Daniela Vega, the real life transsexual actress in the lead role in her debut film, was a revelation, and I think sure to appear in more mainstream, American films soon enough. Very poignant and touching despite my concerns, I found this an extremely touching film. Chile has produced some great films lately, as it comes to terms with the events there in the 1970s and 1980s and its own current identity. ****1/2

Game Night - on the other end of the spectrum, this was pure entertainment following an intense few days at work. Funny, entertaining, enjoyable - there was a lot to like about this film, reminiscent of some of the old classic comedies of yore (except with more violence and bad language). It was great to see Rachel McAdams and Jason Bateman getting to be in a quality, funny comedy once again. I don't think this ever quite hit an all out note of utter hilarity, but it was pretty funny most of the way through, although it probably got carried away a bit towards the end and the quality waned as a result. Entirely enjoyable, although not overly memorable a day or so after the fact. ***1/2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Beach 9/10 - Directed by Danny Boyle and written by Alex Garland. Can't wait to watch Annihilation when I get more time. Thought The Beach would be a normal film about discovering a hidden island but it descends to madness and it's pure joy.

Watched February just now. Emma Roberts is in it. Shithouse. The last 20-30 was good, that is all.

Snatch

Finally got around to watching this. Thought it was very good. I quite like that British style of movie (Layer Cake, Lock stock and 2 smoking barrels etc). Couldn't stop laughing at the Brad Pitt accent haha. 7.5/10

The Meyerowitz stories

Not sure how I feel about this one. It was engaging enough but there were some weird moments. The clean skin daughter that shoots weird af pr0n films for instance. Also, while I thought Adam Sandler and Ben Stiller had good chemistry, I really couldn't buy that Stiller was some pretty successful accountant. Not sure why, it just didn't fit right to me. Not a bad flick but not all that memorable either. 6/10

The Beach 9/10 - Directed by Danny Boyle and written by Alex Garland. Can't wait to watch Annihilation when I get more time. Thought The Beach would be a normal film about discovering a hidden island but it descends to madness and it's pure joy.
You should read the book as well.

The Post (2017)

Enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Great to see people from The West Wing, Leftovers et al in it. The whole thing really is a passive go at Trump though and the shoerhorned bits near the end about female empowerment were really not needed. Everyone got the point way before then. 8/10

But onto the question, saw Black Panther last night. Hooooo boy was that overhyped as hell. I don't think I really enjoyed it that much, but I didn't hate it like TLJ

My mate Paddy said he thought Michael B Jordan's acting was pretty atrocious, what did you guys think of his performance?

Personally I thought Michael B Jordan was the best part of the film.

The 40 year olf virgin.

A contemporary classic that launched/consolidated many of todays comedic stars. The star, Steve Carrell (The Office) is the subject of the movie, and enjoys a hair raising adventure in a quest to lose his v-plates.

So many quotable lines.

Only one of the actors has gone to jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back