AFL Player's Top 50 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

rioli’s all australians were both very debateable and contentious in many corners. Did a lot less compared to most forward pockets that make all australian sides.
Not for me. Who would you have replaced him with? And please don't just name a midfielder or KPF to take his place, name a genuine forward. I had a look at the AA 40-man teams for the 2015 and 2016, I don't see many HFFs or forward pockets to replace him, let alone ones worthy enough to do so.

Adelaide: Laird (49), Crouch (29), Betts (17), Sloane (9)
Brisbane: Beams (26), Zorko (20),
Carlton: Murphy (35) Cripps (27)
Collingwood: Sidebottom (47), Treloar (46), Pendlebury (11)
Essendon: Heppell (40), Hurley (34), Daniher (19), Merrett (18)
Footscray: Bontempelli (15)
Fremantle: Walters (39), B Hill (37), Fyfe (3)
Geelong: Ablett (9), Selwood (8), Dangerfield (2)
GC: May (41), Lynch (13)
GWS: Scully (44), Cameron (31), Ward (30) Shiel (22), Greene (21), Kelly (5)
Hawthorn: Burgoyne (38), Rioli (28), Mitchell (16)
Melbourne: Oliver (32), Gawn (25)
North: Higgins (45)
Port: Wines (48), Gray (12)
Richmond: Cotchin (23), Rance (6), Martin (1)
St Kilda: Ross (43)
Sydney: Rampe (42) Hannebery (36), Parker (24), Kennedy (10), Franklin (4)
West Coast: Naitanui (50), McGovern (33), Kennedy (14)

Interestingly all teams featured at least once. GWS had the most with six (!) Footscray, North and St Kilda had the least with just one.
Best of the rest:

Jack Riewoldt, Houli, Edwards, Vlastuin, Prestia, Grimes
Taylor Walker, Jacobs, Talia, Smith, Douglas
Stephen Coniglio, Nick Haynes, Whitfield, Patton, Lobb, Shaw, Davis
Mitch Duncan, Tuohy, Taylor, Hawkins, Henderson, Guthrie, Menegola
Charlie Dixon, Chad Wingard, Patrick Ryder, Travis Boak, Ebert, Rockliff
Jake Lloyd, Heath Grundy

Elliot Yeo, Luke Shuey, Andrew Gaff, Hurn
Tipungwuti, Fantasia

Jack Viney, Neville Jetta, Michael Hibberd, Petracca
Jack Macrae, Dahlhaus, Johannisen, Wood, Libba
Jack Billings, Jack Steven, Membrey, Carlisle
Isaac Smith, McEvoy, Frawley, Breust
Taylor Adams, Howe, Grundy,
Crisp, Elliott
Lachie Neale, Stephen Hill
Aaron Hall, Jack Martin
Sam Docherty, Kreuzer
Ben Cunnington, Ben Brown, Robbie Tarrant
Daniel Rich, Stefan Martin

Last edited:
Of course - salty Geelong supporter still salty over Rioli costing Geelong a premiership with his 3rd quarter in 2008.

Why am I not surprised. Geelong supporters are the saltiest I’ve ever seen.

Rioli is one of the best small forwards of the last 10 years, nobody successful cares about stats.
can you guys just merge with hawthorn already it would make it so much easier.

I didnt bring up stats by the way. you did. kind of shows you agree with me but just letting your anti geelong bias get in the way. leave this stuff for the bay. try and be objective in this thread. fan biases should have nothing to do with it.

I would have thought Lachie Neale would've snuck into the top 50
Probably the unluckiest omission

I would have Lachie Neale in front of Brad Hill or Michael Walters. Different types of players, Neale not as flashy or quick as those others, but surely he is Freo's best player after Fyfe.

Not for me. Who would you have replaced him with? And please don't just name a midfielder or KPF to take his place, name a genuine forward. I had a look at the AA 40-man teams for the 2015 and 2016, I don't see many HFFs or forward pockets to replace him, let alone ones worthy enough to do so.
why cant i choose a midfielder? Rioli is no more a half forward flanker then a lot of the mids who rested forward. Rioli is a foward pocket pure and simple who wasnt as good as betts so they created a spot for him on the flank in both years. Would of been much better to put one of the mids who missed out who had far superior seasons. admittedly rioli wasnt the worst choice to make the team in 2015. that spot went to deledio who shouldnt have been near the team. nonetheless both should of been replaced by mids.

can you guys just merge with hawthorn already it would make it so much easier.

I didnt bring up stats by the way. you did. kind of shows you agree with me but just letting your anti geelong bias get in the way. leave this stuff for the bay. try and be objective in this thread. fan biases should have nothing to do with it.

I’m making an objective observation that Geelong supporters have a tendency to be salty.

Rioli’s brilliance being denied by Geelong supporters due to his influence on the 2008 premiership (argued under the guise of poor statistical output) is a great example of that.

I would have Lachie Neale in front of Brad Hill or Michael Walters. Different types of players, Neale not as flashy or quick as those others, but surely he is Freo's best player after Fyfe.
Surely there aren't 50 better players than Neale. There's a few in there already that I'd have Neale above. You've mentioned two already.

I’m making an objective observation that Geelong supporters have a tendency to be salty.

Rioli’s brilliance being denied by Geelong supporters due to his influence on the 2008 premiership (argued under the guise of poor statistical output) is a great example of that.
its not called salty when being a victim of unjust ground policies. its fighting oppression.

why cant i choose a midfielder?

Because midfielders don't play on the HFF, they play in the midfield. I know positions are fluid in the modern game, but still, the flanker positions should be devoted to players who mainly play on the flanks.

Rioli is no more a half forward flanker then a lot of the mids who rested forward. Rioli is a foward pocket pure and simple who wasnt as good as betts so they created a spot for him on the flank in both years. Would of been much better to put one of the mids who missed out who had far superior seasons. admittedly rioli wasnt the worst choice to make the team in 2015. that spot went to deledio who shouldnt have been near the team. nonetheless both should of been replaced by mids.

Really? Just a forward pocket? It's interesting that for a guy who plays mainly as a forward pocket, much of Hawthorn's forward play went through him. I mean in 2015, he was third for goal assists per game, not bad for a forward pocket!

I could rattle off some stats but I'm sure some hawks fan like Abasi could do a better job of explaining why Rioli was deserving.
Because Hawthorn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure you stood shoulder-to-shoulder with the non-Victorian sides who were forced to play "home finals" at the MCG.
Geelong fans are a consistent bunch.

I hear Geelong fans were absolutely livid when they were "forced" to play a prelim against Brisbane, you know, the team which finished ahead of them and won their qualifying final unlike... oh, I don't know, Geelong at the MCG, even though St Kilda had to play a prelim against Port in Adelaide. What an outrage they said! It must be played at the Gabba they said! What about St Kilda, we got home ground advantage and not them, they asked! INJUSTICE!

I think cats fans need to set up a legal aid service for all clubs who unfairly lose home ground advantage during the finals series. After all, their impartiality, selflessness and commitment to justice is unparalleled. They truly are angels living among mortals.

Of course - salty Geelong supporter still salty over Rioli costing Geelong a premiership with his 3rd quarter in 2008.

Rioli is one of the best small forwards of the last 10 years, nobody successful cares about stats.
There is ONE thing that almost makes me cry on BF and that is the stupid use of the term, "salty". I cringe when I read it.

BTW, Rioli is a gun, and I don't bear any grudge against him for Geelong losing the 08 GF. I am philosophical, and reckon Cats would not have had the hunger to win in 2009 if it had won the 2008 GF

Genuine question, was there ever a moment when cats fans didn't have some weird fixation with Rioli?
It’s hard to remember a time when they didn’t.

Good luck with trying to change Seeds mind.

cyril has always had injuries. and those two previous seasons were when hawthorn were good. hawthorns form dramatically fell in the last part of 2016 and cyril disappeared. if it wasnt for his name he would of been dropped in early 2017 before he got injured.

For those of you playing at home, this was Cyril's last third of 2016 +finals where he 'disappeared'.

18 D, 3 G, 4 T, 8 CL
17 D, 2 G, 7 T, 6 I50
11 D, 3 G, 5 T, 3 CL
15 D, 4 G, 12 T, 3 CL
13 D, 3 G, 5 I50
13 D, 0 G, 8 T, 3 CL
11 D, 3 G, 8 T, 3 GA
9 D, 2 G, 3 T
13 D, 1 G, 5 T, 3 I50, 3 CL

For an average of:

13.3 D, 2.3 G, 5.9 T, 1.2 GA, 2.4 CL

Compare that to Eddie Betts' stats for the season last year (where he was AA FP)

13.2 D, 2.3 G, 3.3 T, 1.2 GA, 1.3 CL

Yup, Rioli sure did fall off a cliff...

cyril has always had injuries. and those two previous seasons were when hawthorn were good. hawthorns form dramatically fell in the last part of 2016 and cyril disappeared. if it wasnt for his name he would of been dropped in early 2017 before he got injured.
Let's have a look at inside football's ratings:

16 Port Antagonised the opposition with toughness and inspired his teammates with skill. 8
17 Syd Dangerous around the ball. Took a hanger and kicked the winning goal from 50. 8
18 Rich Set game alight with three second-half goals. Excitement machine didn’t disappoint. 7
19 Quad.
20 Melb Hawk’s best. Took a screamer, kicked four goals and laid 12 tackles. 9
21 NM Pretty well held but still found a way to kick three goals. 6
22 WCE Took a long time to get involved. There was no Cyril magic. 4
23 Coll Played in bursts for three goals and one screamer. Dangerous when near it. 7
QF Geel Guthrie started on him. Really came into it in second quarter. 6
SF WB Forward pressure enormous early but influence reduced as game wore on. 5

So, if that's a dramatic fall of form, I wonder what standard he was playing at before? Man, he must have been one of the best players in the league!

Sandilands is Freo's best player after Fyfe, but Neale is certainly our best midfielder after Fyfe. Miles ahead of either of the Hills in any case.

Neale > B Hill > Chris Mayne

Last edited:

Not bad, used variations of "salty" 3 times.

Only criticism, can you add "salty" to the third line for maximum Richmond?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back