Can Richmond go back to back? # Did overconfidence cost them against Collingwood #

Did overconfidence cost Richmond the win against Collingwood?

• yes

Votes: 75 61.5%
  • no

Votes: 47 38.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally have never seen a reigning Premier being rated less than Richmond. A lot of fans don't rate them, a lot of players (and seemingly some coaches) don't either.
This is spot on.

I personally have never seen a reigning Premier being rated less than Richmond. A lot of fans don't rate them, a lot of players (and seemingly some coaches) don't either.

This is why I think we at least will end up making the Grand Final again if we don't end up going back-to-back. Why? Because although Richmond achieved the best results in the league last year, we don't seem to get treated like we did, which I think will lead to a few opposition teams taking us less seriously than some of the Premiers in the past were taken.

I personally see Richmond as a top-tier team, so if we don't get treated at the level that we achieved by the opposition teams then I expect us to do well.
I find it bizarre, because once the gear clicked into place there was no answer for the game plan
If they can sustain that through the season to make top 4, and come into finals with the same levels as 2017, you’d be brave to not back them.
It was evident after the Geelong final win they were going to the GF and weren’t gonna be easybeats.

I have two queries on them and neither are major ones
Can they sustain the form enough?
Is there a plan b should someone work out what fares better than pressure football?

Players get older, injured, burnt out and de-motivated by the gameplan or the pressure and expectation of staying mentally "up", or by footy in general.

Have a look at the side Collingwood fielded in the 2011 GF, and then where that list was at just two years later (when the Pies bowed out in the Elimination Final, and recognised they'd gotten all they could out of the group they had, and initiated a regeneration of the list that off-season), and you'll see how quickly the peak can pass and the window can close.

If you can be a top four side for a 4-5 year period, and get a flag out of it, I think you're doing extremely well. The expectation is always that a dynasty will follow an initial flag win, but that's never realistic, and underestimates how difficult the whole process is, and how difficult it is to stay up once you've reached the mountaintop.
Well said... are you sure you're an Evertonian?? :p

You do realize that if 34% say one thing, another 25% say one thing, then some other 20% say something else that the 34% is the majority?

Bloody hell, I’ve just had to read back through a page of nashing teeth because of a simple stat being posted(that you clearly can’t understand).

It’s actually amazing how worked up you all are.

um sorry bud, the majority is more than 50%.

It always has been

Just apologise for being a hawthorn troll and we will all move on.

It is what it is,

I find it bizarre, because once the gear clicked into place there was no answer for the game plan
If they can sustain that through the season to make top 4, and come into finals with the same levels as 2017, you’d be brave to not back them.
It was evident after the Geelong final win they were going to the GF and weren’t gonna be easybeats.

Is there a plan b should someone work out what fares better than pressure football?
Question 1, I think they can sustain their form enough to make the top 4. Once there we have the 1st week bye which should help give enough of a break for finals.

Question 2, I have started seeing the Richmond boys do a lot of fast ball movement and hitting up players by hand and foot lately, so that could turn into our Plan B if pressure doesn't work.

We know pressure will probably remain our hallmark, but that type of uncontested play could be something that we fall back on since we looked good doing it in the preseason games.

Just saw this on AFL.com. Pretty scathing from the AFL players.

CAN RICHMOND win back-to-back premierships?

Absolutely not, according to a survey as part of the AFL Players' top 50 poll.

In fact, 34 per cent of AFL players have tipped the Tigers to plummet down the ladder in 2018 following their breakthrough flag win last year.
Haha! Which means 66% don't think Richmond will fall at all, which means????

Yeah, that's not what that means at all though.

Nice alias, blaisee . :thumbsu:
We all know that we can spin it any way we want.
Truth is, none of us have any idea how the season will pan out.
Do Richmond have a chance to go back to back? Of course they do but a lot of things have to go right.

They’re two good questions. As for the form, I suppose that will be answered this year. I don’t think we clicked until really late, and we had two weeks off in all of that. It would be a tiring gameplan to execute over 6 months, but then we were probably still going flat out without the rewards all year last year. And we do have a fairly large fleet of candidates for a small forward role, with Bolton, Stengle, Higgins, Naish all potentially able to slide in their this year, yet didn’t play in the flag. I think it will be one to watch.

As for the plan B and getting worked out, I think the best way to beat our pressure is to apply similar pressure up the other end, and be clean out of the backline. Hawthorn 13-15 strikes me as a side that would beat the heat pretty easily. Precise kicks and real discipline in ball movement. If you keep marking it, we can defend space to try block you in, we can’t apply physical pressure. I can’t really think of a potential plan B in game for that. It will be interesting though, I’m sure the other sides have reviewed it thoroughly and perhaps come up with something all new to beat it. I’m looking forward to watching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh boy, this one leads with the chin. Yeah, that’s a good starting point. Let’s start at the beginning. I’m on an ipad, so who do you support? My second question is how many teams are there in the comp Stormboy?

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

It's called a rhetorical question, because you and your response mean nothing to me

If a man is working on the top rung of a ladder, another about 4 rungs below, followed by another about half way down and then one at the foot of the ladder, who is most likely to have the biggest tumble should they stumble?
Don’t get worked up tigers fans it’s a no brainer really.
That man on the top rung needs to be really careful.
Ladders say ‘Do not go above this step’ usually 3 steps from the top

If Richmond win the flag this year it'll be the case that they won the flag this year. It'll also be true that they went back to back, but that'll only be true because it's true that they won the flag last year and they won the flag this year. Even if they hadn't won the flag this year it would be true that they won it this year.

upload_2018-3-15_21-47-21.png

You do realize that if 34% say one thing, another 25% say one thing, then some other 20% say something else that the 34% is the majority?
So, this means we should always have a Federal Labor government because they always win the majority of votes.

Yes the 5th best team can theoretically win the grand final. It happened last year too.

But they would probably need to be allowed to play at their pwecious wittle home ground for every single game of the finals series (again) and get lots of free kicks (again).

It's possible.

Actually wait no David King said Essendon for the flag so no way anyone else can win.

It's called a rhetorical question, because you and your response mean nothing to me

Code for i got nothing. Just remember to tick the Yes box on the merge form.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

Which part did you want to talk about? The part where over half the AFL captains don't think the Tigers will make the grand final (let alone win the premiership)?
Heh, so by that logic, most AFL captains don't think any side will reach the Grand Final this year? Should be easy to get a seat.

7 - GWS
5 - Richmond, Adelaide
1 - Sydney

Heh, so by that logic, most AFL captains don't think any side will reach the Grand Final this year? Should be easy to get a seat.

7 - GWS
5 - Richmond, Adelaide
1 - Sydney

Oh gosh, I'm totally defeated by your laser-like logic. It's not like I was posting a facetious comment. I'm slain, well played fellow combatant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back