General MFC Discussion 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a good idea though: more people should be encouraged to walk/take public transport to the game. I’ve driven to the footy once in 20 years - and that was in 2007 to Etihad. Plenty of places to park in the city if you’re coming from the country, and it sounds like there are suitable provisions being put in place for anyone with mobility difficulties
Genuine question, have you ever lived outside Melbourne? "Plenty of places to park" there are not, especially when Yarra Park is closed and the thousands who usually park there need somewhere else to park.

Genuine question, have you ever lived outside Melbourne? "Plenty of places to park" there are not, especially when Yarra Park is closed and the thousands who usually park there need somewhere else to park.

Yeh if the ground parking is closed, it's generally train or nothing.

For big games I prefer the train though because driving in or around the ground is a nightmare. I just drive into a mid range distance suburb train station, like Mitcham, and park there.

Sometimes I drive to the ground for small games where getting in and out is usually easier. (can be cheaper too if you have a few people - one car park price vs multiple train fares).

Kelly isn't a once in a generation midfielder.

I don't think he will be that. Goes without saying.

While I don't necessarily think that he will be, there is certainly nothing that says that he won't be either. No doubt he's got plenty of parts of his game that he can improve, but he's only 2.5 seasons - 50 games into his career, and to this point compared to others in his position, around his age, he's streets ahead from a statistical point of view.

At the 50 game mark ...
G - M
Hogan: 105 - 334
Daniher: 68 - 270
Lynch: 61 - 251
Patton: 58 - 238 (Knee injuries a factor of course)
Dixon: 55 - 143
Brown: 82 - 240 (Debuted as a 21yo)

Obviously the others have improved significantly since the 50 game mark, but why should we expect anything different from Hogan?

There are some factors you have to take into account. Hogan had 3 full pre seasons before his debut, he also player a year of VFL footy before it as well.
He was also almost a fully grown man at 18 whereas someone like daniher was clearly teenager. It's like comparing Daniel Rich's first 2 years to Fyfes and concluding Rich would have a better career

Carey was a 2x all Australian in the year he turned 23 and had already lit a finals series.

Buddy Franklin kicked 70 goals at 20 and 110 goals at 21, he had 2 Colemans by the end of his 23rd year.

Those are once in generation talents. I don't think Hogan will end up being the best key forward of this current crop, however he could become the best all around player if he works hard. Same way Lloyd was the better key forward but Nick Roo was a better all around player

As an aside was watching the Bulldogs Melbourne round 22 epic from 2005 and a crowd of 35k on the channel 10 coverage sounded louder than a 60k crowd of channel 7. **** I miss good TV coverage
Yeah modern broadcasting has really toned down the crowd noise, kinda been annoying me for a while now.

I used to think 9 was okay at picking up on the sound of the ball hitting the foot, when i was a kid i honestly thought they had put a microphone in the ball because it picked up so well on their telecast

As an aside was watching the Bulldogs Melbourne round 22 epic from 2005 and a crowd of 35k on the channel 10 coverage sounded louder than a 60k crowd of channel 7. **** I miss good TV coverage

I love that game. Booked to come over to Melbourne to watch us play the Saints (who thrashed us), but got sick so had to defer the trip til 3 weeks later, which was the Dogs game. First win I'd been to at the MCG. Wouldn't have known the crowd was that small, made so much noise.

This is a tough one for me because I think both positions are overrated in modern AFL. I think I would go with Kelly just mainly because I don't think Key forwards play that important a role in modern footy anymore and without Jones Lewis and Vince in a couple years our midfield is still a little light on for blokes who can change the play with their feet.

Look at the last 2 premiers, Dogs key forwards were Boyd and Cordy and the Tigers were Riewoldt and Caddy. I think Mcdonald and Weid/Trac/Fritsch etc would sit comfortably alongside those.

I know it's an opinion your not allowed to have here but I don't see Hogan becoming a once in a generation forward
Maybe not a once in a generation forward for the comp, but I think he’s going to be the Dees best forward in a long, long time. He’s really only competing against Schwartz, Neitz, Lyon and Jako in the last thirty years. I think he will be better than any of them. The Ox would have been the greatest ever but for his knee, he was outplaying Carey in his prime for a half season.

Yeah modern broadcasting has really toned down the crowd noise, kinda been annoying me for a while now.

I used to think 9 was okay at picking up on the sound of the ball hitting the foot, when i was a kid i honestly thought they had put a microphone in the ball because it picked up so well on their telecast

You can hear the moment it hits Robbos foot and then the bounce so I reckon your onto it. Must have had mics closer the boundary.
I love that game. Booked to come over to Melbourne to watch us play the Saints (who thrashed us), but got sick so had to defer the trip til 3 weeks later, which was the Dogs game. First win I'd been to at the MCG. Wouldn't have known the crowd was that small, made so much noise.

They do say on the coverage that it sounds a lot louder than the crowd numbers would suggest. I suppose the atmosphere of the night and the meaning of the match helped coupled with the fact that it was an absolute hum dinger.

I've parked in the inner city before, and/or around east Melbourne. It's doable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think he will be that. Goes without saying.

There are some factors you have to take into account. Hogan had 3 full pre seasons before his debut, he also player a year of VFL footy before it as well.
He was also almost a fully grown man at 18 whereas someone like daniher was clearly teenager. It's like comparing Daniel Rich's first 2 years to Fyfes and concluding Rich would have a better career

Carey was a 2x all Australian in the year he turned 23 and had already lit a finals series.

Buddy Franklin kicked 70 goals at 20 and 110 goals at 21, he had 2 Colemans by the end of his 23rd year.

Those are once in generation talents. I don't think Hogan will end up being the best key forward of this current crop, however he could become the best all around player if he works hard. Same way Lloyd was the better key forward but Nick Roo was a better all around player
Yeah, again, I don't think he will rival Carey and Franklin as you've said, and fortunately, it now seems like the we don't need him to to be successful as a club. I just think he CAN be up there with the best in the game. He's had some advantages with a VFL season and extra time in the system, but he's had plenty of disadvantages too with his first season ruined by injury and last years ongoing nightmare. Plenty to be excited about with him this coming year, big chance to be right up there in the Coleman, even with spending more time up the ground.

Yeah, again, I don't think he will rival Carey and Franklin as you've said, and fortunately, it now seems like the we don't need him to to be successful as a club. I just think he CAN be up there with the best in the game. He's had some advantages with a VFL season and extra time in the system, but he's had plenty of disadvantages too with his first season ruined by injury and last years ongoing nightmare. Plenty to be excited about with him this coming year, big chance to be right up there in the Coleman, even with spending more time up the ground.

I think we are a better team with him winning the CHF spot in the AA not the Coleman medal anyway.
If Hogan can finish his career as good a player as Roughead was I'll settle on that

I think we are a better team with him winning the CHF spot in the AA not the Coleman medal anyway.
If Hogan can finish his career as good a player as Roughead was I'll settle on that

He is like Roughy more than any other KPF. Same exceptional mobility and ground ball skills, decent but not amazing contested mark and good skills.

He is like Roughy more than any other KPF. Same exceptional mobility and ground ball skills, decent but not amazing contested mark and good skills.

They are bloody similar. Roughy is/was bloody smart at dropping off a pack and snapping an easy goal while his opponent was sucked in. Hogans a little better mark. Both look like they should be dominant full forwards yet the position is a waste of their talents in the modern game

If this was the UK fans would storm AFL house and put some heads on pikes.
That's a disgrace they can change something that's been sacred and untouched for how many years.
I listened to ours and whilst I prefer the original, ours is probably one of the least affected. Some of the other teams' songs sound really woeful. Ours is very similar to the original, if a little sanitised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back