Remove this Banner Ad

TheExtractorFactor

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
New York Knicks/Football Giants
https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/every-afl-clubs-theme-song-has-been-re-recorded

"Footy fans attending round one matches next week are going to notice something very different about the pre-game and post-game formalities.

The AFL has decided to re-do every single club’s theme songs, except for Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney whose tunes are relatively fresh.

The Victorian clubs, especially, are renowned for having their songs recorded by the legendary Fable Singers and they have become part of the footy culture and fabric over many decades.

It remains to be seen how the newer versions of these classic songs will be received by fans."

You can listen to all the new versions below:

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/listen-to-every-afl-clubs-new-theme-song-for-season-2018

Last edited:
Nobody wants this.

Why would anyone prefer modernised digital music to the timeless classic analogue sound?

Modernisation of music is not like video where the increase in quality is undeniable and unsubjectice (eg Standard Def upgrading to HD/4K).

Music is not like that.

After hearing the song, I am very, very disappointed in the loss of soul and guts from the original. It’s just lost that enduring feeling of nostalgia, boldness, and connection that the original gave me. And we just won a flag with it!

Fans have a very strong emotional connection to the club song, this important issue is a level above the flippant rule changes that nobody cares about.

Why downgrade such a rich and passionate club song to a sterile, boppy, fake-sounding digitalised version?

Last edited:

I'm sure they are just updating the physical quality rather than making any noticeable changes. Definitely well overdue, songs like the Crows one sound noticeably poor quality and dated.

Whatever the case I guarantee nothing will be worse than the AFLW Bulldogs attempt to be "politically correct". Absolutely awful!

Daughters of the west,
Red, white and blue,
We come out snarling, Bulldogs through and through.
Bulldogs bite and Bulldogs roar, we give our very best.
But you can’t beat the girls of the Bulldog breed,
We’re the team of the mighty West!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-10/daughters-of-the-west-dogs-release-new-aflw-song

Hopefully we've dropped the banjo.

And jumped up and down on it.
Hopefully we've kept the banjo, it just isn't the same without it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure they are just updating the physical quality rather than making any noticeable changes. Definitely well overdue, songs like the Crows one sound noticeably poor quality and dated.

Whatever the case I guarantee nothing will be worse than the AFLW Bulldogs attempt to be "politically correct". Absolutely awful!

Daughters of the west,
Red, white and blue,

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-10/daughters-of-the-west-dogs-release-new-aflw-song
Lol at calling this politically correct, and not a rectification of the stupid situation where women are singing a celebratory song referencing themselves as sons and boys

Daughters of the west,
Red, white and blue,

?
not sure it was an attempt to be politically correct, mainly accuracy.
they changed sons/boys to daughters/girls, for the daughters/girls singing it.

unless you are talking about the performance. not sure who sang it, but it had an early 90s ABC TV host singalong feel to it.
in which case, yes its awful.

Except for singing the song after a win, they are useless and outdated.

I hat hearing them before a game tbh
makes sense for the banner run through.

its that, or a cheesy announcer asking you to cheer the team.
The rebels have that at their games and it irks me to no end.

Daughters of the west,
Red, white and blue,

How is this being politically correct? All they did was change the gender to match the players.

I heard a short glimpse of the new Richmond version and I couldn’t really hear any difference.

Hopefully they basically sound exactly the same, just a little clearer.

But I can see justifiable outrage if the club songs change noticeably. Fans have a very strong emotional connection to them.

Club song changes aren’t like a flippant rule change that nobody cares about.
Ahem

The west coast eagles and freo dockers themes drove by whilst mooning you.

Our tune blows

We should have flexed our financial muscle while you lot were crap and bought yours off you

It is likely just a retouching of the original songs. I can't imagine they would get rid of the originals.

The production of the original songs (and the GWS song) is a huge part of what they are.

There were a few "back-up" versions recorded in 1990s and then again last decade, and Hawthorn randomly played theirs before and after the 2008 Grand Final, and St Kilda and Geelong played theirs in the 2009 Grand Final Parade (but the originals on game day). Fair to say the re-recorded versions used then sound like bad covers, and weren't heard from again for good reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back