News Club Song - Re-done

Which song do you prefer?

• Old ‘fable’ version

• New ‘afl’ version

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

This one uses clean keyboard sounds; so synthetic, it's pathetic.

If the club wants to use the new version, tell the musicians to re-record with real horns. That's what gives the original song that overdriven grunt.

This makes sense.

They've gone and bloody done it. The instruments are too crisp, the tuba (??idk instruments) part just doesn't sound right.

That's because they're used a brass preset on a keyboard, then played the notes on a keyboard. It's not the same as using real instruments... that's why it sounds cheap and gutless.

A real tuba is so much richer, deeper, and meatier than any keyboard preset.

It's an easy fix if the club really cares about the club song. But I think it'll depend on supporter demands.

Why bother changing something perfect to something similar, but not quite as good? I’ve always loved the old charm of the footy songs and even as a kid remember being fascinated by the style and the sound of the tigers songs (Richmond and Glenelg who used to have their own before they adopted the VFL song). Bloody hell if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

Why bother changing something perfect to something similar, but not quite as good? I’ve always loved the old charm of the footy songs and even as a kid remember being fascinated by the style and the sound of the tigers songs (Richmond and Glenelg who used to have their own before they adopted the VFL song). Bloody hell if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

It was fixed, skin to shin. Finally back to the "original"

So you think, based on that video, that around a month ago they fixed the error in the old official version and now they’ve gone and recorded an even newer version?

Are you sure that what KB & Richo were involved in wasn’t just this new recording which is now being released?
Perhaps, but I still don’t see why they had to redo the whole song (and make it lose its power), in order to change 1 lyric.
Sure, it’s minor, but aside from that 1 lyric, was their anything wrong with the old song?

Didn't wanna weigh in but that s**t is ****ed.

Absolutely no oomph, flat as a tack and just plain garbage.

Listen to it all the way, then listen to the original. If you aren't up in arms about this b/s after that then go, leave, bugger ya.

Stupid AFL come on......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go and get ****ed AFL.

Let’s bring our ghetto blasters next Thursday night and belt out the Fable version at the ‘G.

Go and get ****ed AFL.

Jack Graham that is...

New song the bass guitar during the interlude sounds like the campaigners out for a bike ride. original downplays the bass with a focus on the horns and the banjo to a slightly lesser extent. whoever mixed the new version definitely was on the turps at the time. banjo on the new version is pretty middling as well. 3/10

The Gusto, Grunt, Brass.... everything that was great about it has gone. The club have f***** up big time and only for one bloody word. I blame KB. The midget wouldn’t shut up about it for years. Well we fixed the word but we’ve royally screwed it all in process.

And then the AFL reasoning. Some recordings are old. Does the MCG have to hand crack the record player does it? It’s deafening at the games these days and it’s clear as.

Now when I hear it I’ll cringe instead of picturing the final siren Grand Final day 2017 in disbelief and hearing the song booming thinking, s**t It’s happened.

D***s

We can’t be playing this new “youthful” (go and get ****ed campaigner) version in round one, there is just no ******* way it can be happening.

They’ve ****ed up and destroyed so many punchy and hearty parts of the song, such as the trumpets at the very end of the middle instrumental before Oh We’re From Tigerland.

I’ll be phoning the club on Monday. As should everyone else.

Go back to the 70s and listen to real strings and brass and percussion played by human souls not coldly programmed cheap sampled tacky poo.

The old club songs were made in the early 70s.

Now we have the cheeseball modern ones.

This new version I do believe is the one Richo and KB were involved in or whatever and I think it was also used for both JLT games, just didn't realise it was part of some league wide (minus the Giants, Suns and Freo) re-recording project.
Ours, for the most part just sounds like an average cover, Brisbane however they managed to * up badly, it's French national anthem for christ sake, can't be that hard to find a song sheet for it.

Please don't change our beloved, emotional, timeless recording:

Due to technological innovation, video enjoys definitive improvement in viewing experiences through SD / HD / Super HD / 4K. Each technological innovation is an undeniable improvement in quality.

Modernisation of music is not like the modernisation of video.

Music is subjective, such that technological improvements do not necessarily increase emotional connection. And that's what this club is all about, right?

This modern "digital version" of the Richmond Theme Song does not give me the same warm, magical feeling of connection to the Richmond Football Club.

Some people may disagree. You might disregard this post as an internet outrage piece. But I'm serious - I love and cherish the original song and get emotional when I hear it after a win. Nothing else gives me that feeling. I've been hearing it since I was a small child. The club song plays a strong emotional role during my match day experience (especially if I haven't been able to attend for a while). The sound of those original instruments is burned into my memory forever, so as soon as I hear that song, it reminds me of those distant memories going to the football with my Dad. It's truly timeless and means so much more to me than just the minor differences in digital sound clarity or the word 'shin'.

Besides, nobody prefers "modern music". Nobody.

Music sounded better in the pre-digital age. That's a universal fact. Seriously, who listens to modern day music and says "wow, I wish the Beatles sounded like this!"? It sounds sterile and cold. Why would you want to choose digital modern music over the richness of analogue music from an era that produced the most popular music in human history? Richmond fans don't want that. I imagine this poll will support my opinion.

The original song opens with those gritty, rich horns. It's Strong and Bold.
The digital one opens with a snare underneath some keyboard-sounding horns. It's Neat and Sterile.

The digital one doesn't crescendo into the 'yellow and black' anymore, and the singing of the descending semi-tones for 'yellow and black' is sung like a Disney singer (over-pronounced, soulless, too perfect) and over time, I worry the crowd might eventually stop shouting yellow and black and start singing it like it's done on the new recording. Picture it when you listen. It doesn't crescendo properly.

Also, all the modernised AFL club songs sound too similar. Go ahead and listen to them all in the link below. Imagine listening to them played after one another before a game. We'll be enemies marching to the same band. It doesn't feel right.

But what about the lyrical change? I say the word 'skin' is a quirk we can live with. When you become a diehard fan, you start singing 'shin' at games because you understand the club's history. It's sung with pride, because you're part of the tribe and you understand.

To conclude, the new digital song sacrifices soul and sounds like a group of private school cabaret dancer boys. It's not a representative sound for the traditional Richmond fanbase.

I'm not exaggerating when I say I will lose a small part of my emotional connection to the Richmond FC if they go ahead and modernise our timeless recording.

Here's the digital version with modern mixing and fake-sounding horns probably done on keyboard: https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/listen-to-every-afl-clubs-new-theme-song-for-season-2018

Paul McCartney didn't re-record 'Yesterday'; Richmond shouldn't re-record our theme song.

Please don't change it.

Yeah I knew all that, I just wondered why bother after all these years? Seems like a waste of time and effort to me.
logo has been tweaked so may times as has our colours, sash, shorts, socks and other stuff too, my theory is any change is too freshen things up for the younger generation$ and create hype and marketing ploys. seriously how many logos and tints and widths of the sash has there been since KB was a boy.

Back