Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Not really. It is what it is. It actually tries to break down the reasons as to why this unfolded. I think by now people need to start realising that our approach to 2018 is definitely far removed from a dysfunctional body with differentiated opinions between players and coaching staff.

Is that you Neeldy? ;)

To me it showed echoes of the past. A culture of fear where the players felt they couldn't speak to the coaches or even senior players. And a half baked attempt at toughening them up with a second torture test that not even the Storm do.

Time will tell if we have indeed moved on to become a functional cohesive unit.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Not a fan of Caro at all but I reckon that's a pretty good article. Sounds like the main issue was the players leaving it so late that it became a mess.

Also I love 2018. Danny Frawley should understand mental health and not be a campaigner followed by about 10 posts of personal attacks on the bloke because he called us 'soft'

You guys are just as bad as him but hide behind a veil of self righteousness

Not a fan of Caro at all but I reckon that's a pretty good article. Sounds like the main issue was the players leaving it so late that it became a mess.

Also I love 2018. Danny Frawley should understand mental health and not be a campaigner followed by about 10 posts of personal attacks on the bloke because he called us 'soft'

There were three posters potting him. You have to admit his actions scream hypocrisy though.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Yeah, that sort of thing seems to be quite prevalent. It's like hearing about Trump or Barnaby Joyce on the radio where the hosts talk flip their lids over any public comment they've made that isn't a grovelling public apology and then proceed to rip in with personal insults. After that, take calls from punters and continue to rip into the guy. Half of social media seems to be dedicated to piling into someone for a failure to perform some social nicety. Dogpiling appears to be perfectly acceptable as long as the target has done something you don't like.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
There were three posters potting him. You have to admit his actions scream hypocrisy though.

Of course they do, but you can't pretend you have a problem with his actions and then go ahead and do the same thing and pretend you're a 'better person'.

I'm all for saying whatever you want, but don't pretend you are a better person while you are doing it.

Besides, how sensitive are people now that an old school AFL coach who hears about players pulling out of a camp isn't allowed to mention it.

Last edited:

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
If anything it just shows that he has used the mental health Tagline as a way to gain media exposure and promote a poor me mentality.

That sentence right there makes you the same if not a bigger dick head than him. You can't call him out for being insensitive and then in the same breath with zero evidence suggest his mental health issues were wrong in your completely naive opinion.

Your reasoning is I hate when he's a dick head, but I don't like his opinion so I'm allowed to be a dick head but he still isn't.

Anyway have your retort and I'll let it be because I don't wanna clog up the thread with this

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
That sentence right there makes you the same if not a bigger dick head than him. You can't call him out for being insensitive and then in the same breath with zero evidence suggest his mental health issues were wrong in your completely naive opinion.

Your reasoning is I hate when he's a dick head, but I don't like his opinion so I'm allowed to be a dick head but he still isn't.

Anyway have your retort and I'll let it be because I don't wanna clog up the thread with this
Maybe, maybe I’ve jumped the gun in assuming because I am pissed off with his comment and also pissed off with all the ****heads who have weighed in on the training camp garbage no end.

Perhaps it’s more about him just being a dickhead and not thinking.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
My understanding is that the AFLPA actually approached a number of players, rather than those players approaching the AFLPA.

That contributed to the reported ‘number of players who revolted’, and blew the matter out of proportion slightly.

A few players voiced concerns and after the AFLPA asked around, it became evident that there were quite a few players who preferred not to do the camp but hadn’t told the club.

That’s it really. If the club had asked around the playing group they probably would have got the same answers but pressed on with the camp anyway. Because the feedback came via the union, the club felt it more sensible to cancel the camp.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
TopKent has a point
Demon 16 has a point

Is there any chance we can close this thread? It’s now so retrospective it’s not even relevant. You can guarantee some *head on the main board will bump it the second we look like we are having a bad patch, so let’s just get over this training camp nonsense on this board FFS.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

Of course they do, but you can't pretend you have a problem with his actions and then go ahead and do the same thing and pretend you're a 'better person'.

I'm all for saying whatever you want, but don't pretend you are a better person while you are doing it.

Besides, how sensitive are people now that an old school AFL coach who hears about players pulling out of a camp isn't allowed to mention it.

You’re allowed to call someone out for being a hypocrite mate. I agree that my comment re the mental health Tagline was probably out of sorts, so I’ll leave this stupid ******* conversation be.

So you are calling someone out with an insult, for calling someone out with an insult, who was calling someone out with an insult?

You dick head.

Don’t worry guys, only 8 more days before we can unite against our common enemy, the MFC.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Caro said:
"Since then Melbourne have largely and unbelievably attempted to portray the unprecedented situation as a storm in a teacup. ‘‘It must be a slow news day,’’ said Melbourne president Glen Bartlett unconvincingly back in December. And yet at this week’s club media briefing the topic was still hot."
Only because sports journalists' entire reason for living is to hammer away at controversial topics until they are done to death. I don't think anyone is interested in this anymore, but Caro wants to make sure. It's an ok article, but should have come out 2 months ago and let the club get on with their season.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Only because sports journalists' entire reason for living is to hammer away at controversial topics until they are done to death. I don't think anyone is interested in this anymore, but Caro wants to make sure. It's an ok article, but should have come out 2 months ago and let the club get on with their season.
Pretty much, and it’s done it’s job hasn’t it? I mean on this board it’s caused some s**t fighting. Even Danny Frawley has got a mention for being a flog.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
It isn't a bad article but why is she releasing it in March lol

Probably had two articles ready to go, if we lost afl X and JLT then this abandoned camp, player revolt - no trust in Goodwin would have been gold for the journos to jump all over. Hell it will come if we drop 3 in during the year.

Back