Rate the coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Dimma gets too much credit for Richmond's premiership. He quite clearly has a strong relationship with the players and is very professional but for the first 6 years of his coaching career Richmond played a slow possession based style of footy that had the one of the poorer tackling/pressure sides in the comp. Which makes it extremely obvious the mastermind behind Richmond's new game plan was not Dimma.

Still one has to give Dimma plenty of credit for admitting he was wrong and being willing to accept new ideas.

I think Dimma gets too much credit for Richmond's premiership. He quite clearly has a strong relationship with the players and is very professional but for the first 6 years of his coaching career Richmond played a slow possession based style of footy that had the one of the poorer tackling/pressure sides in the comp. Which makes it extremely obvious the mastermind behind Richmond's new game plan was not Dimma.

Still one has to give Dimma plenty of credit for admitting he was wrong and being willing to accept new ideas.
I agree but the old game plan got Richmond to 3 finals series in a row. We lost them all but to a Richmond supporter it was big. Dimma was copying the Hawks imo and it didn't suit the Tigers lack of foot skills but again it got us off the bottom into the finals. Something had to change especially when the emphasis shifted to smaller, faster players in recruiting. Whether it was Balme, Hardwick, Gale or Peggy they made the best game plan to suit the list and it's been rewarded with a Premiership. Plus it personifies the Richmond style when we were a powerhouse from 1967 to 1982. Fast, relentless attack on the ball.

1. Clarkson
2. Lyon - Truly believe he'll win a flag in 3 years. His list when Freo were top was pretty damn weak, and he got them winning in Melb.
3. Hardwick - No one got near them in the finals last year

Daylight for the rest

16 - Cameron, ordinary game plan, selection and effort in the finals last year.
17 - Buckley - still going backwards and its 2018
18 - B. Scott - Never heard so many excuses in my life

Imo (in no particular order):

Above average tier:

Alastair Clarkson
John Longmire
Don Pyke

Average tier:
Damien Hardwick
Chris Scott
Brad Scott
Ross Lyon
Adam Simpson
John Worsfold
Ken Hinkley
Leon Cameron
Luke Beveridge

Below average:

Alan Richardson
Brendan Bolton
Nathan Buckley

To early to know tier:
Chris Fagan
Stuart Dew
Simon Goodwin

I'm curious as to what Pyke has done as a coach that has him so far above Beveridge.

The top coaches are all Clarkson disciples:

1. Clarkson (No justification needed)
2. John Longmire (Consistently top 4 by reinforcing great cultural values)
3. Damien Hardwick (Amazing life values and relationships with players, culture-builder)
4. Brendan Bolton (The best non-premiership winning coach by a mile, culture-builder, relationship-builder)

5. Luke Beveridge (Amazing values and connection with his players)
6. Alan Richardson (Really impressive and sensitive, which is a good thing)
7. Ross Lyon (Smartest in tactics and pretty smart with relationships. Poor values though)
8. Ken Hinkley (Great motivator, connects with his players, good values)

9. Adam Simpson (Smart, but makes excuses, lacks exceptional life values)
10. John Worsfold (Meh)
11. Leon Cameron (Best kids in the country, done nothing)
12. Chris Scott (Gifted a God-like team, added absolutely nothing to what they already had)
13. Nathan Buckley (No justification needed)
14. Brad Scott (No justification needed)
15. Don Pyke (Don't rate his comments since losing the GF. Just doesn't get it)
16. Simon Goodwin (Lost the players's trust when they went to AFLPA behind his back)
17. Stewart Dew
18. Chris Fagan (Dud)

Most Richmond fans argued that Hardwick had to go as his ideas were outdated. Hardwick responded and changed his ideas. The fans were smart enough to demand change, and Hardwick was humble enough to respond.
Do you honestly believe that?

The top coaches are all Clarkson disciples:

1. Clarkson (No justification needed)
2. John Longmire (Consistently top 4 by reinforcing great cultural values)
3. Damien Hardwick (Amazing life values and relationships with players, culture-builder)
4. Brendan Bolton (The best non-premiership winning coach by a mile, culture-builder, relationship-builder)

5. Luke Beveridge (Amazing values and connection with his players)
6. Alan Richardson (Really impressive and sensitive, which is a good thing)
7. Ross Lyon (Smartest in tactics and pretty smart with relationships. Poor values though)
8. Ken Hinkley (Great motivator, connects with his players, good values)

9. Adam Simpson (Smart, but makes excuses, lacks exceptional life values)
10. John Worsfold (Meh)
11. Leon Cameron (Best kids in the country, done nothing)
12. Chris Scott (Gifted a God-like team, added absolutely nothing to what they already had)
13. Nathan Buckley (No justification needed)
14. Brad Scott (No justification needed)
15. Don Pyke (Don't rate his comments since losing the GF. Just doesn't get it)
16. Simon Goodwin (Lost the players's trust when they went to AFLPA behind his back)
17. Stewart Dew
18. Chris Fagan (Dud)

Listing Bolton above premiership winning coaches is laughable at this stage. He may get there but there's no way he's there now.
The whole post just reads you like you wanted to make a certain point and then you fitted the entire list to make that point.
Its actually bemusing to see the likes of Richardson rated above Worsfold and Chris Scott.

Lol @ people putting Bolton below average or even at the bottom. Shows how much they know about coaching/tactics, and shouldn't be taken seriously in a footy discussion.
Well Richmond supporters worship Hardwick now when 1 year ago, they wanted to hang him by his balls. They have embellished his greatness. I reckon you will have a different opinion o Brendan Bolton if Carlton win the 2018 flag with out the assistance of John "Pigs A**" Elliot .

Lol @ people putting Bolton below average or even at the bottom. Shows how much they know about coaching/tactics, and shouldn't be taken seriously in a footy discussion.

Part of it involves getting his team to play for him. He'll be the first coach that wasn't an ex-player to succeed in that. Every other time it has ended badly seemingly always being the players unable to take orders, sprays or listen to their coach in general. This is why clubs usually chase coaches with premiership backgrounds.

1. Clarkson (4 premierships, 62.3% win percentage)
2. Chris Scott (1 premiership, 70.7% win percentage)
3. John Longmire (1 premiership, 67.6% win percentage)
4. Luke Beveridge (1 premiership, 62% win percentage)
5. Damien Hardwick (1 premiership, 50.5% win percentage)
6. John Worsfold (1 premiership, 50.3% win percentage)
7. Don Pyke (69.4% win percentage)
8. Adam Simpson (61.7% win percentage)
9. Ross Lyon (59.2% win percentage)
10. Ken Hinkley (56% win percentage)
11. Leon Cameron (52.7% win percentage)
12. Simon Goodwin (52.2% win percentage)
13. Nathan Buckley (51.5% win percentage)
14. Brad Scott (50.8% win percentage)
15. Alan Richardson (37.5% win percentage)
16. Brendan Bolton (36.7% win percentage)
17. Chris Fagan (22.7% win percentage)
18. Stewart Dew (0% win percentage)

That was way too much effort for a shitpost, but if I was going to be accurate here I'd probably rotate the bottom half around a bit and the top half I'd say is pretty accurate.

I think the one thing I am absolutely certain about though is that Clarkson is by far the best coach of the 18. He is 1 premiership away from equalling every other coachs premiership cups won.
Looking at that, you realise that Clarko has almost as many flags to his name as do the 17 other coaches in the league combined.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What reason are you giving?
Because Go Catters!!

Anybody who doesn’t have Clarkson as clear number 1 is either taking the piss or just hasn’t got a clue.

All this thread demonstrates is how fickle people are.

Same type of thread last year and people were rating Beveridge second, Dimma in the bottom 3. This year Dimma top 2 and Bev mid range?

The truth is a good deal more complex (to the extent where a ranking probably isn’t possible due to the range of contextual factors that exist for each coach)

Goldfish memories and strong opinions not backed by empirical evidence.

As players (OK I am just looking for a survey we can win)
Bucks.
Daylight
Daylight ....... etc etc
Goodwin
Woosher
Chris Scott
Simpson
Hardwick
Longmire
Brad Scott
Cameron
Lyon
Richardson
Pyke
Clarkson
Beveridge
Fagan
Bolton

As players, Chris Scot rated too high imo.

Great career, but the others had greater individual achievement.

Nah mate he played a very attacking brand early on, changed it 15/16 with a possession game and has now moved into high pressure high scoring.

He’s had three fundamental changes in his philosophy since he’s been at the club. If you’d watched the tigers over that period, even it if was just cursory, you’d know that.

All this thread demonstrates is how fickle people are.

Same type of thread last year and people were rating Beveridge second, Dimma in the bottom 3. This year Dimma top 2 and Bev mid range?

The truth is a good deal more complex (to the extent where a ranking probably isn’t possible due to the range of contextual factors that exist for each coach)

Goldfish memories and strong opinions not backed by empirical evidence.

It’s fair enough. Doggies are one of very few teams to win a flag and then not make the finals the year after. Swings and roundabouts. Ups and downs, good with the bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back