News The New Hawthorn Theme Song

Remove this Banner Ad

The funny thing is that when the team sing it now they sing 'The way we are at Hawthorn'. If they really were updating it you would expect they would have made that change. (Personally I don't want it changed to 'are' even if that is what the team sings but that's a whole other debate that has been had previously on here IIRC).
And what about “4-3-2-one for all and all for one,,,,,,”

I believe Hartford claims he introduced this countdown.

Don’t understand the reason for change with the themes at all. I do prefer the original, the new one is just way too lean. All in all though it’s not as bad as I thought it would be after reading some of the posts before listening to it. It’s not like they flipped it completely on its head and made a dub step version played through the dodgy stereo of a shitty GTR Skyline. But on a positive note, its a win/win for the pessimistic supporters among us, they already know they won’t have to listen to it very often this season

Something according to the licensing expiring on the originals which were recorded in 1972.

Raph Epstein (ABC) yesterday had one of the original singers of the 1972 songs; there were 10 singers (I think) and the group was the Fable Singers. They were paid $100 each to record the 12 VFL songs in one day.

The singer who spoke to Raph was John Caddy (yes a relative of Josh) and he can still belt out a decent tune.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something according to the licensing expiring on the originals which were recorded in 1972.

Raph Epstein (ABC) yesterday had one of the original singers of the 1972 songs; there were 10 singers (I think) and the group was the Fable Singers. They were paid $100 each to record the 12 VFL songs in one day.

The singer who spoke to Raph was John Caddy (yes a relative of Josh) and he can still belt out a decent tune.

Aha, now we re getting somewhere! I wonder if the re-recording of them is money related over and above anything else. The clubs requesting that they be re-done doesn't ring true to me and the fact that they sound so similar means they didn't really want to change them at all (so why bother?). Perhaps if the old versions become 'unlicensed' the AFL makes no money out of them when they are used from now on, hence some new AFL licensed versions are required.

Last edited:
It is “tinnier” and higher pitch than the original. And the addition of the word “is” makes it crammed and rushed.
Original: “one for all and all for one’s the way we play at Hawthorn”
New: “one for all and all for one is the way we play at Hawthorn”
Grammatically correct - but unnecessary!

If you are going to modernise the club songs for the 21st century then do it properly and do a total revamp; rather than this fiddling around the margins.
Get Ed Shearin’ or Adele or that young guy who makes me want to top myself whenever I hear him or whoever the kids are into these days and be done with it.

Tightarse AFL could just buy the rights to the original recordings . The sounds of those recordings are timeless and part of culture.
You remember the new version played after the 2008 gf? Wasn’t as good was it?
If it ain’t broke , don’t fix it.
AFL ,you’ve got the money, just get with it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back