Opinion 2018 Non-Crows Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What crap, maybe in the old days but now no one gives a s**t about beating the magpies.

As for a travesty, they wanted to leave the SANFL to play in the AFL, blame them.
Actually last year's SANFL GF was faaaaaaar sweeter than the year before

look I don't want to come across as insensitive or anything, and no doubt there are a heap of teenagers/young adults dealing with massive anxiety, depression and mental health issues, and these are real issues

But what the * are 14 year olds doing with social media accounts? As someone who doesn't have a facebook/twitter/instagram or any of that s**t (and yes I know bigfooty is social media, but this is my only forum I post on, and none of you know my real name etc), I just don't understand why people think it's a good idea to continue on these platforms if they are getting bullied?

Rather than close down a facebook/twitter account, they'll just let the abuse build up to the point that they kill themselves? What the actual *?

look I don't want to come across as insensitive or anything, and no doubt there are a heap of teenagers/young adults dealing with massive anxiety, depression and mental health issues, and these are real issues

But what the **** are 14 year olds doing with social media accounts? As someone who doesn't have a facebook/twitter/instagram or any of that s**t (and yes I know bigfooty is social media, but this is my only forum I post on, and none of you know my real name etc), I just don't understand why people think it's a good idea to continue on these platforms if they are getting bullied?

Rather than close down a facebook/twitter account, they'll just let the abuse build up to the point that they kill themselves? What the actual ****?
Amen.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

There is a lot of coverage about dopamine release and social media. Its potentially something that can be addictive.

* me I just watched the video

@ 1.45 - "Dolly's parents said the bullying was relentless, and because it happened online, Dolly had little chance of escaping it "

Uhhhhh... WHAT??? That is, by definition, the easiest form of bullying to escape

Also I must be old because I didn't recognise anyone on that video short of Patrick Dangerfield & Toby Thurstans

This is s**t. As much as I hate Port, that hatred is integral to the SANFL and our state's history and who many of us are as people. It would be an absolute travesty if they were forced out.
Who’s forcing them out? This is Port Adelaide Persecution Syndrome mentality 101.

I’ll tell you where the real travesty lies regarding Port and the Port Magpies, it’s when they promised the PM members that they’d never become an AFL Reserves team if they accepted the One Club proposal. This was in 2010, within four years they backflipped on that promise to their beloved traditional supporters. Not to mention that this is also the terms and proposal they presented to the whole of the SANFL for them to accept or reject.

There’s your tradition right there.
There’s your travesty!

http://m.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2010-10-26/one-club-questions-answered

61F954E8-9226-4BD3-B345-CF422353E228.jpeg

**** me I just watched the video

@ 1.45 - "Dolly's parents said the bullying was relentless, and because it happened online, Dolly had little chance of escaping it "

Uhhhhh... WHAT??? That is, by definition, the easiest form of bullying to escape

Also I must be old because I didn't recognise anyone on that video short of Patrick Dangerfield & Toby Thurstans
When you turn off the pc or out the phone/tablet away the bullying stops.

The bigger issue is people's reliance and addiction to Social Media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond stickers are bloody everywhere :(

The bakery down the road still has the poster up in the window :(

I don't think people quite realise how much of an affliction it has been as a Crow living in Melbourne over the past 6 months
I hear you brother - all the tiggers supporters at work are carrying on about the flag unfurling at their home ground..oops sorry, the MCG

But what the **** are 14 year olds doing with social media accounts? As someone who doesn't have a facebook/twitter/instagram or any of that s**t (and yes I know bigfooty is social media, but this is my only forum I post on, and none of you know my real name etc), I just don't understand why people think it's a good idea to continue on these platforms if they are getting bullied?

Rather than close down a facebook/twitter account, they'll just let the abuse build up to the point that they kill themselves? What the actual ****?

As a parent of kids in that age bracket I would say that at least 90% of kids around this age have some sort of social media presence, my kids are allowed to have Instagram, albeit with certain conditions. With safeguards like staying private, giving parents full access and passwords etc. joining Instagram myself to look at comments and likes on their posts from a distance. Having a good family and a "normal" friendship group, Instagram for my kids is a great way for them to communicate and share what they are (and others are) experiencing, holidays, sport, general life, especially having relatives interstate and overseas, it is such an easy way to stay connected with loved ones. I wholeheartedly agree with you that if online bullying starts, taking your kids offline asap as a logical step.

These bullies don't just bully online, they don't just use old fashioned physical violence or intimidation, relational/social aggression is very common and face to face.

I know of primary school aged kids being depressed and suicidal because they are being told to KYS (kill yourself) and given notes or texts that just say KYS or whispers in the classroom or at lunch and recess to KYS or do everyone a favour and cut yourself until you bleed out etc. etc.

The alarming thing is that these kids quite often don't communicate any of this to their parents because they are ashamed that they are not popular amongst their peers and feel a huge amount of personal responsibility that it is somehow their fault they are being bullied. As parents, grandparents, uncles/aunties, friends we need to be vigilant in looking for any signs and always keeping a dialogue with our kids about how they are coping at school.

Personally I think the Speak, even if your voice shakes video is brilliant.

Cyclones are funny things.
It's different to a freak heavy storm, you know it's coming very early but the malaise of fizzer cyclones in the past makes you sorta go meh. Territorians go meh a lot with a lot of things. Tracy is always in the back of your mind though. You're supposed to clear your yard of potential missiles, stock up on water, canned goods and gas for the BBQ. And Fuel it's probably the most important thing.
I got a heads up that we were in for strife on Thursday. It was a cat 1 and not hitting till Saturday. Plenty of time and not to severe. Yesterday it started to get real, we are in the direct path (the eye is due to pass over us in an hour or so) Events got cancelled, the Palmerston City Council election, St Patricks (I was going) day races, NTFL GF(delayed a day) and the jewel in NT Footballs crown the Tiwi grand finals (I was going :( ) Next thing you know there are lines of cars at the petrol stations, pandemonium at the checkouts. Tiny cans of baked beans at coles suddenly cost $1.50.

This morning it wasn't due to really start till around 10am but it was pretty windy early and we had been upgraded to a cat 2. My wife made me leave the bedroom because of a big tree outside that she was worried about coming down on the house. After a brief discussion about life insurance we worked out that the house would be paid off with a bit of change. She is now advocating that I go have a nap.
Looking from the deck, I now see all the missiles that I should of removed. An huge umbrella that was fixed in place was fapping wildly in the wind, palm trees popping and falling like Jenkins avoiding the contest rain coming in sideways and my umbrella finally lose. That's bad. So in the middle of all this we had to do a last minute missile dump; Umbrellas, slides deckchairs all in the pool. But secure now at least.

It's calming a little now wich means half time. Donkey and his clan of asses are doing fine.

When you turn off the pc or out the phone/tablet away the bullying stops.

The bigger issue is people's reliance and addiction to Social Media.

Yeah, no it doesn’t. It continues in person. And while I agree with you it’s easy to turn off social media.... for US (who didn’t grow up with it), it’s a form of social connection for the younger generations. You hate the bullying, but if you aren’t connected you have absolutely no way of belonging.

This morning it wasn't due to really start till around 10am but it was pretty windy early and we had been upgraded to a cat 2. My wife made me leave the bedroom because of a big tree outside that she was worried about coming down on the house. After a brief discussion about life insurance we worked out that the house would be paid off with a bit of change. She is now advocating that I go have a nap.
Looking from the deck, I now see all the missiles that I should of removed. An huge umbrella that was fixed in place was fapping wildly in the wind, palm trees popping and falling like Jenkins avoiding the contest rain coming in sideways and my umbrella finally lose. That's bad. So in the middle of all this we had to do a last minute missile dump; Umbrellas, slides deckchairs all in the pool. But secure now at least.

It's calming a little now wich means half time. Donkey and his clan of asses are doing fine.
As long as your wife is just checking on the House Life Insurance, and not yours .....my wife is constantly asking me about my Life Insurance & solicitor details ? .....should i be worried ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back