Chris Scotts coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

I think in assessing Scott, there are two separate equations that are all too easy to blend into one if you're in the 'he's no good' camp.

Yes he had a great list when he took over in 2010, but it was one that had also been conclusively found out by its main challenger in Collingwood in 2010. If they had not tweaked things in 2011, they wouldn't have won the flag so I really can't accept the notion that he just walked into the EASIER FLAG EVA!!!111. It required nous and tweaking and he did that.

I'm not too sure about Geelong's current list management though. I'm not saying it's a failure but by the same token - I'm not reinventing the wheel in saying this, but Selwood, Danger and Hawkins desperately need more help.

Great bounce back. I still question whether the massive increase in overall effort was due to the media pressure or Scott giving it to them...if the former, it's still the same issues, if it's the latter, maybe they can go all the way after all (they've got the Dogs measure for a start).

Club won a premiership whil;e he just happened to be coach. He hasn't won one. Want proof? You see how easily Bomber was able to demolish the undefeated Cats when they played Essendon? Clearly Scott just walked in and didn't do anything. s**t coach with good players and 2009 gameplan.

Club won a premiership whil;e he just happened to be coach. He hasn't won one. Want proof? You see how easily Bomber was able to demolish the undefeated Cats when they played Essendon? Clearly Scott just walked in and didn't do anything. s**t coach with good players and 2009 gameplan.

NFI

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great bounce back. I still question whether the massive increase in overall effort was due to the media pressure or Scott giving it to them...if the former, it's still the same issues, if it's the latter, maybe they can go all the way after all (they've got the Dogs measure for a start).
All players at both levels were told to bring mouthguards to training this week. Brutal week of tackling training apparently.
Got a rocket and both sides beat the reigning premiers on the back of improved effort and intensity.

I'm not impressed by him. Even last night when they were getting rolled in the 3rd every time they cut to him he just sat back in the box like a stunned mullet. No discussion with assistants no talking to his leaders on the bench or the runner to send out messages/make moves. Even though they ended up coming back to win it seems like he just expects if we stick to our plan we will come good. It's worked so far though the last month would have cats supporters worried. Last year they probably over achieved, they weren't as good as their finish either at the end of home and away (2nd) or finals (3rd).

Demolish? Essendon won by 4 points and Geelong have 31 scoring shots to 17.

Watch the cats in 2010 and then them in 2011 and anyone could tell you they played differently. Old game plan wasn't going to work. Scott doesn't get nearly enough credit. The way people talk it's as if flags are easy and rain from the sky. People want an example of a bad coach - Buckley. Has done nothing with a list that consistently made finals. Scott has kept Geelong competitive while losing stars every year. I will never understand the criticism he gets. He frustrates me and he isn't perfect but some act like Geelong have been bottoming out every year since he came along.

I'm not impressed by him. Even last night when they were getting rolled in the 3rd every time they cut to him he just sat back in the box like a stunned mullet. No discussion with assistants no talking to his leaders on the bench or the runner to send out messages/make moves. Even though they ended up coming back to win it seems like he just expects if we stick to our plan we will come good. It's worked so far though the last month would have cats supporters worried. Last year they probably over achieved, they weren't as good as their finish either at the end of home and away (2nd) or finals (3rd).

Last year Geelong made the prelim and lost to the team that finished top. Throughout the year defeated Adelaide twice, Bulldogs twice, hawthorn, Eagles, gws, North. Defeated every single team in the top except for Sydney. They were placed just fine.

Last year Geelong made the prelim and lost to the team that finished top. Throughout the year defeated Adelaide twice, Bulldogs twice, hawthorn, Eagles, gws, North. Defeated every single team in the top except for Sydney. They were placed just fine.

But they also lost to Carlton, Collingwood and St.Kilda. Really it was a pretty weak year (as is this year) so you're probably right but they didn't feel like a top 2 team.

But they also lost to Carlton, Collingwood and St.Kilda. Really it was a pretty weak year (as is this year) so you're probably right but they didn't feel like a top 2 team.

Those games frustrated the s**t out of me but Geelong also have a history of losing those sorts of games. It sucks but I don't think losing to bottom teams but beating heaps of top ones is necessarily an indication of anything. GWS lost to teams like Melb and Collingwood, Bulldogs lost to the saints and freo, etc.

Scott and Horse have exactly the same number of flags and if anything are actually quite similar in their circumstances; both took over strong teams and implemented their own changes in a successful way. Both have kept their teams consistent with Horse having a much better finals record admittedly. And yet I feel as if there is a new Scott every couple of weeks yet none for Longmire. I don't think he necessarily deserves one mind you, but it boggles my mind Chris Scott gets so much criticism when there are a lot of other coaches with similar or even worst records who escape it.

your right they should set up 2 ladders one that's on wins and losses and and percentage and the other ladder on "feel"

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good way to bounce back, but really, why did it take three losses against three teams that are borderline finals contenders at best for the team to decide to make that sort of statement?

To be honest, given Geelong's previous two games against Collingwood (absolutely pathetic losses), there was no excuse to not be switched on for that game, even though the Cats were 5-0 at that stage.

Mark O'Connor's debut is a great story, but I just can't imagine picking him ahead of Lang or Thurlow, if my life depended on the result.

With other teams dropping games here and there, the late April-mid May slump hasn't struck a fatal blow on the campaign, but the period through to round 15 will tell us a lot about whether the Cats are pretenders or not.

What's the consensus from other clubs on our coach? I personally believe he has no flapping idea what he's doing. Like none at all. That it's all a roll of the dice with no straight thinking and I could do better! Where not allowed to be reasonably critical of him on our board, so it would be great to hear some impartial opinions.

I had him somewhere as 3-4th best coach in the league. Now have him possibly just above Bucks (who constantly outplays him ironically).
I thought with the season to begin I would rate the AFL coaches. My list would go as follows

1. Chris Scott
2. Clarko
3. Ross Lyon
4. Woosha
5. Longmire
6. Hinkley
7. Brad Scott
8. Dimma
9. Beveridge
10. Pyke
11. Cameron
12. The others
13. Nathan Buckley

What's happened in the last year or so that's made you change your opinion on Chris Scott?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with OP assessment.

He inherited a premiership list and won a flag. Hats off but he hasn’t built up a list from scratch and taken them to the top.

He’s got an incredible side to work with. If I was a geelong supporter I’d be disappointed they haven’t won a flag in the last five years with that list and the opportunities they have had.

Longmire and Clarkson would have taken that side to the next level. Scott has fallen short in finals several times.

People started rating Dimma higher than him
How does that make him go from bottom 2 coach to the best though?

Your choice you’re either a troll or an idiot.

How does that make him go from bottom 2 coach to the best though?

Your choice you’re either a troll or an idiot.

It doesn't. It prompted the thread. But his winning percentage, 13-5 recorcd and status as hardest coach to coach against are what put him there.

I think he went overboard with the recycled players thing. Aside from Danger (Obvious) and Tuohy I don't think any of them can be considered a hit. I guess they didn't give up much for Zac Smith?
henderson has been very good. wasnt far off an all australian squad spot last year. been a lot fo failures though. Mcintosh, Clark, Caddy and scott selwood and stanley are leaning towards failures.

henderson has been very good. wasnt far off an all australian squad spot last year. been a lot fo failures though. Mcintosh, Clark, Caddy and scott selwood and stanley are leaning towards failures.

To be fair I posted that in May and I agree Henderson had a very good season, I am glad he isn’t playing round 1. Agree on those names you mentioned though.

I'm a natural contrarian so I usually love to support guys like Scott and I think I have done before. Thing is, they have Dangerfield, Selwood, Ablett and Duncan (not quite on their level albeit) in the midfield and people are pretty cool on them being favourites for a flag, when everyone loves to rag on the last two years being weak, there's gotta be something up right? The team he won the flag with coached themselves, Bomber built that team, if some random coach had walked in after 2012 or 2013 and coached my team they would have won the flag too, because there are already successful systems and plans in place.

He's an Alan Joyce (though he won 2).

He seems a very good tactician, but sometimes the guys that leave the club say he barely ever talked to them. Definitely doesn't have the respect the best coaches usually do.

Yeah it does make you wonder if he’s any good at developing talent.
The cats top end is expeditional, but he didn’t develop too many of them.

Bit of a defining year for Scott 2018. I also believe there have been list failures..getting rid of Chappy..Pods..SJ a year to early in each case. However the cattle has never been quite as strong as Bomber Thompson had and this has been the difference. Give the accolades to Bomber if you wish but the cattle were there for all to see. That was a team for the ages 2007-2011 ... Geelong went 3-5 a good return. Repeating that within a decade is probably not possible in this contrived Comp. Scott I had on the chopping block also...but reflection tells me he has done pretty well. Our Finals record under him has been poor and the year we went 17-5..and could not kick a goal in the finals with the two experienced campaigners..Chap and Pods..playing elsewhere was tragic. Our Finals have been poor more due to personal than Scott...as Jack Dyer might have said he is a good average Coach. Presents well in after match press conferences. Well Drilled.

Absolute failure and Geelong blundered by giving him an contract extension. He piggy backed off of Bomber Thompson's work and snared the 2011 flag, but has done nothing since. He's given us plenty of lol moments in his press conferences (Mission Accomplished) - I guess that's something positive.
I have usually enjoyed your "neutral" and "unbiased" views on the cats and north:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back