Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
talk about someone with no idea about our list

We don't realise how chronic our lack of exposure is outside of SA.

I remember when Boak was coming out of contract during the Primus years and was being linked with everyone, there were posters around the traps on this site who were freely admitting they had no idea who he was, such was the national blackout and overall disinterest in our games.

I remember when Boak was coming out of contract during the Primus years and was being linked with everyone, there were posters around the traps on this site who were freely admitting they had no idea who he was, such was the national blackout and overall disinterest in our games.

Outside of SA, unless you have Foxtel, you don't watch Port Adelaide play. It's more or less that simple.

Jul 17, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

The media knows interstate teams are necessary, but they also know that they don't actually need to give two shits about teams outside of Victoria since any success to the other 10 teams is only a glitch in the matrix that can be quickly fixed.

This is also why the AFL media are ropeable with the AFL wasting millions upon millions on teams that aren't Victorian, especially when the Victorian teams aren't 1 through 10 for most profitable clubs. Victorian's have the mindset of "Victoria success over all else" which is amusing because having 10 Victorian is actually holding us back as a national competition.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Back on the club songs redux

Listened to the Swans given it being Our Maggie's

Not only did the vocals completely flatten out any spirit as per the other club songs, they got Jim Royle to do a solo

If you haven't listened to theirs do it Start at 48 seconds in

Yes, I forced myself to listen to them all and i had a chuckle when I heard that bit. Quite a few of them have an instrumental interlude which just sounds s**t with the poor sound quality they all have.

Peck

Todd Marshall fan
10k Posts
Jul 30, 2009
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Left is Best
Listening to the Collingwood song, I don’t think they actually changed anything. They simply made it easier to hear how awful each of these songs is. They definitely adjusted the levels somewhat tho.

That banjo in every song was always there.

It’s similar to when they first had Sam Newman in HD. He wasn’t any older than before, but by gawd he looked it.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

When burgs announced he was moving to Vic everyone claimed he was a b grade player maybe fringe a-grader. 10 games into playing for hawthorn he was one of the best players of the era.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Outside of SA, unless you have Foxtel, you don't watch Port Adelaide play. It's more or less that simple.

It’s not just that though it’s the boys club media that talks up all their mates mates.

The best thing that could ever happen to the afl would be the media as it is gets burnt to the ground. We have the worst and most limited coverage of a national sport I’ve ever seen.

When burgs announced he was moving to Vic everyone claimed he was a b grade player maybe fringe a-grader. 10 games into playing for hawthorn he was one of the best players of the era.

lol yeah

has cruised around halfback as 9th or 10th banana (no individual medals, All-Australian or B&F gongs) in a threepeat, with the odd 2006ish midfield cameo, and he's gone from good-ordinary Port Power to eloite Hall of Famer.

Goes without saying, if someone like Tredrea played for his dad's other club there'd be a statue outside the Lexus Centre.

Looks like Trengove will be called into action to play in the back lines from round one with Morris and now Adams getting injured.
That won’t end well.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The media knows interstate teams are necessary, but they also know that they don't actually need to give two shits about teams outside of Victoria since any success to the other 10 teams is only a glitch in the matrix that can be quickly fixed.

This is also why the AFL media are ropeable with the AFL wasting millions upon millions on teams that aren't Victorian, especially when the Victorian teams aren't 1 through 10 for most profitable clubs. Victorian's have the mindset of "Victoria success over all else" which is amusing because having 10 Victorian is actually holding us back as a national competition.

I am and always have been very very pro cutting some of the Vic teams from the afl.

Don’t buy into the whole we must protect them because.. bullshit

A) they would turf us if it suited them

B) they didn’t fight tooth and nail to win their place in this league it was handed to them on a silver platter

C) they don’t have to die or cease to exist they simply will go back to being a vfl club.

D) they have failed for years while being given every opportunity to thrive. They weren’t shackled like us to the sma. They get the best fixtures and opportunities and still half of them are incapable of being competent

Thanks to the AFL allowing the broadcasting networks to dictate what gets shown when.
I live in the ACT - Port will only be on FTA TV four times this season I believe. Where is the balance in that?

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Think our song and West Coast suffer the most, because our songs weren't originally created in the ticketies when the standard quality was about midi level and anything more was new and frightening...

Still is to a lot of football followers.

May 20, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

He's been an outstanding team player, but underachieved in his career in an individual sense.

Genuinely thought that if he worked hard enough he could be a top 5-10 player in the comp from 2007 onwards and win multiple AAs/B&Fs.

Went to Hawthorn and during the three-peat kind of dropped off from potential superstar to a solid contributor/icing on the cake type player who rode shotgun to Hodge/Cyril/Buddy etc.

I sense a Open Mike episode in the works where his Port career is a mere footnote and Mike asks 'why did it take you so long to come to Victoria?' and 'what was it like playing alongside Cyril and Buddy?'.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thanks to the AFL allowing the broadcasting networks to dictate what gets shown when.
I live in the ACT - Port will only be on FTA TV four times this season I believe. Where is the balance in that?
Get the Foxtel Play free 2 week subscription, and do it at the right time. You might get a couple more Port games to watch, not to mention all the AFL games in that 2 weeks.

FPPF

Premiership Player
May 9, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

If you’re with telstra mobile you have free afl live access to every game for every club. Unmetered content of course.

If you’re with telstra mobile you have free afl live access to every game for every club. Unmetered content of course.

Yeah I do. I can also 'steal' Foxtel through Foxtel Go. I have a few options to ensure I won't miss our games, but my point really was to reinforce what TeeKray said - we get little to no FTA coverage outside of SA.

29339910_1776381882428443_7621600761940685159_n.jpg

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Off track, but the AFL have re-recorded all the club songs. Listened to a few. Some not much different, somea fair bit changed.

Ports is kind of similar, except ours is (was) more like 25 blokes just off the ground belting out a victory song with beers in hand, a little rough arond the edges, but earthy and powerful.

Ours is now a bit barber shop quartet type sounding. Not knock about wharfies roaring it out, but just kinda sarchy, professional singers carefully orchestrated. Typical "meddling with a good thing" AFL as usual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back