Redbacks 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

As the season began, so shall it end. Started the year with 92 all out against NSW at Adelaide and finished with an 8/73 collapse at Glenelg.

So, we started slowly, and completely tapered off. It seems all we are good for is running opposition teams and players into form. We even played Cam Bancroft in to the Test team.

Depressed? Out of form? Don't know where your next run or wicket is coming from? No need to despair, just check the programme, there's a game against the Redbacks coming your way soon.

Previous 22 seasons, 18 of them finishing in bottom half of the table, 11 of them as wooden spooners.

Lehmann's last 16 innings, 324 runs @ 21.6 including an 83 against Victoria. Take out that 83, and he's made 131 in 14 completed innings @ 9.35. Just as well his dad's the national coach.

Last edited:
Made the last two Shield and one day finals leading into this Shield season but this was a major step backwards. All our old batting and other frailties reappeared.

Weatherald after twin tons at the WACA did very little.

Dalton after a half century vs Starc & Cummins in Round 1 did nothing.

Mennie is an average bowler with the Duke ball.

Carey still stuck at No 7 batting with the tail.

Still no spinner that we trust.

Lehmann a poor season.

Cooper finished.

Not sure Richardson fits in.

Apparently we finished with 3 of the 4 leading run scorers in the competition... surely not?

Positives
Winter
Worrall pretty good
Others ???
Maybe Tom O'Connell and Lloyd Pope on the horizon but that's clutching at straws. Both just kids, not saviours.

Going into next season I think your best line up will be:

Dalton
Weatherald
Ferguson
Head
Lehmann
??? (Nielson or Carey. Don't think Ross is good enough in FC cricket)
Keeper (Depends on who they prefer as a keeper)
Mennie
Richardson
Sayers
Winter

I think Richardson gets a game due to being the only 140+ bowler of the lot, Winter's left armers were a revelation, Sayers is your best bowler. Mennie provides something different.

Dalton
Weatherald
Ferguson
Head
Lehmann
Mennie
Richardson
Sayers
Winter

I think Richardson gets a game due to being the only 140+ bowler of the lot, Winter's left armers were a revelation, Sayers is your best bowler. Mennie provides something different.

• Carey has to keep, much better than Neilson
  • Richardson leaving would be no great loss, Worrall would be picked way before him anyway
  • There was talk that Stanlake may come over which would push Richo right down
  • Will be interesting how Winter goes with a Kookaburra
  • Ross certainly isn't up to it, would be borderline on keeping his contract
  • Cooper needs to go for good, get rid of him and don't give him a sniff of another chance
  • Wouldn't be against seeing Dalton down the order and giving Mcinerney a good crack at it
  • Kelvin Smith will also be lucky to keep his contract
  • Lloyd Pope may be in contention come next season, which would leave Zampa's red ball career in jeopardy
  • The batting sucks.

• Richardson leaving would be no great loss, Worrall would be picked way before him anyway
  • There was talk that Stanlake may come over which would push Richo right down
  • Will be interesting how Winter goes with a Kookaburra
  • Ross certainly isn't up to it, would be borderline on keeping his contract
  • Cooper needs to go for good, get rid of him and don't give him a sniff of another chance
  • Wouldn't be against seeing Dalton down the order and giving Mcinerney a good crack at it
  • Kelvin Smith will also be lucky to keep his contract
  • Lloyd Pope may be in contention come next season, which would leave Zampa's red ball career in jeopardy
  • The batting sucks.
If Stanlake does go to SA that would make more sense with the rumour surrounding Richo to Victoria. Personally feel that he's a better compliment to your attack than Worrall, but Worrall would fit in at Victoria better haha. Stanlake definitely provides that POD to Sayers (swing), Winter (left arm), Mennie (skid) with his pace and bounce.

If Stanlake does go to SA that would make more sense with the rumour surrounding Richo to Victoria. Personally feel that he's a better compliment to your attack than Worrall, but Worrall would fit in at Victoria better haha. Stanlake definitely provides that POD to Sayers (swing), Winter (left arm), Mennie (skid) with his pace and bounce.

You can have Mennie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with the sentiment that the batting has been poor, however I've never really been a fan of saying 'if x didn't make x amount of runs in this innings they would only have averaged x'. They did score the runs end of imo.

Disappointing year but think there are a few young players going around in grade cricket that will be very good if they continue to be developed well. Still made big strides the last few years. The Sheffield Shield is very even at the moment also.

Dalton
Weatherald
Ferguson
Head
Lehmann
Mennie
Richardson
Sayers
Winter

Absolutely no chance Worrall misses - ahead of Richardson and even Winter.

• I dont know about ' has to keep' , I am sure his National career does hinge on his ability to keep rather than the bat and given the choice Alex would prefer that keeping path. I would also have Carey as my keeper but wonder at times playing Carey as a Batsman only for a match or 2 and have Nielson come in could work.

I agree with the sentiment that the batting has been poor, however I've never really been a fan of saying 'if x didn't make x amount of runs in this innings they would only have averaged x'. They did score the runs end of imo.

Disappointing year but think there are a few young players going around in grade cricket that will be very good if they continue to be developed well. Still made big strides the last few years. The Sheffield Shield is very even at the moment also.

Whether you're a fan or not, that is the reality of it. There are players whose season stats are passable only because they did well in one or two matches. For the rest of the season they've been crap. I'm tired of Redback players being selected on reputation rather than performance.

The problem is, they fail at Shield level, come back to Grade cricket and make 200 which only serves to show us the gap between 1st class and Adelaide grade cricket is way too large. We all know what the problems are, but the old boys network in SA cricket is too powerful to ever do anything about it. Every state coach for the past 20 years have tried to alter the structure of cricket in SA, all to no avail.

Bottom line is, 13 teams at A grade level are way too many. Ten is plenty, maybe even 8. Get rid of the bye, what a joke that is. We need to arrange for a situation where games are played on pitches prepared by SACA curators, and each attack contains at least 3, if not 4 quality bowlers. And, after all these years, we still have a club in the competition who have no juniors, they survive by poaching players from other clubs. How that is supposed to strengthen SA cricket remains a mystery. Old boys network strikes again.

And it goes deeper than that. I could say more, but will stop at that because I don't wish to start naming names. The only reason the Sheffield Shield is "even" is because most NSW players are in the Test team. If you look at the competition in terms of shields won, and players contributed to national level, there is a massive difference between some states and others.

• I dont know about ' has to keep' , I am sure his National career does hinge on his ability to keep rather than the bat and given the choice Alex would prefer that keeping path. I would also have Carey as my keeper but wonder at times playing Carey as a Batsman only for a match or 2 and have Nielson come in could work.

It's not such a bad idea. One way or another, Carey has to score more runs. He scored 139 and 98, both against Queensland (separate matches) which didn't leave much change from his 455 run season. By relieving him of the gloves on occasion and batting him up the order, it MAY be just what he needs to emphasise his batting ability, rather than batting with the unproductive tail all season. Besides, Tim Paine wasn't doing a lot of keeping when he was selected for Australia. It's an interesting thought.

Whether you're a fan or not, that is the reality of it. There are players whose season stats are passable only because they did well in one or two matches. For the rest of the season they've been crap. I'm tired of Redback players being selected on reputation rather than performance.

The problem is, they fail at Shield level, come back to Grade cricket and make 200 which only serves to show us the gap between 1st class and Adelaide grade cricket is way too large. We all know what the problems are, but the old boys network in SA cricket is too powerful to ever do anything about it. Every state coach for the past 20 years have tried to alter the structure of cricket in SA, all to no avail.

Bottom line is, 13 teams at A grade level are way too many. Ten is plenty, maybe even 8. Get rid of the bye, what a joke that is. We need to arrange for a situation where games are played on pitches prepared by SACA curators, and each attack contains at least 3, if not 4 quality bowlers. And, after all these years, we still have a club in the competition who have no juniors, they survive by poaching players from other clubs. How that is supposed to strengthen SA cricket remains a mystery. Old boys network strikes again.

And it goes deeper than that. I could say more, but will stop at that because I don't wish to start naming names. The only reason the Sheffield Shield is "even" is because most NSW players are in the Test team. If you look at the competition in terms of shields won, and players contributed to national level, there is a massive difference between some states and others.

Well written post. I tend to agree that 13 is too many but we all saw what happened last year when they tried to merge they went the wrong way about it. If you were setting up from scratch, ideally the following would merge due to geography:

Woodville / West Torrens
Adelaide University / Prospect
East Torrens / Tea Tree Gully

Which gives you:
Northern Districts
Southern Districts
<Woodville - West Torrens>
<North Eastern Suburbs>
<Prospect / University >
Kensington
Sturt
Adelaide
Glenelg
Port Adelaide

Eastern suburbs are traditionally very strong with relatively small zones. Kensington, Sturt and Tea Tree Gully are the only teams in senior grand finals this year. All have good junior programs too. Kensington is not a huge catchment area but are probably the strongest overall club. Similarly, West Torrens is not a huge catchment area but is on the same street as two strong cricket schools. It doesn't really make sense to have clubs with such small zones but they have been the stronger clubs over the last 10 years.

Conversely, big catchment areas In Southern Districts and Northern Districts have really struggled in recent years. They have been at the bottom end of a lot of grades in recent years. Saca have a lot of work to do with the clubs in those two areas. Northern used to be quite strong and Sailsbury were a powerhouse before merging so not sure what has gone on there.

The other big issue with grade cricket (suspect this is not unique to South Australia) is that blokes are not playing in to their thirties.

Last edited:
DY2y7AAVMAAGyG9.jpg:large

Did Connor McInerney lose a bet or something?

Squad named.

Daniel Drew and Nick Benton axed. Conor McInerney, Luke Robins and Elliot Opie in.

Full 2018-19 Redbacks squad
Tom Andrews (age 23, Premier Cricket club: Woodville)
Alex Carey (26, Australian contracted player, Glenelg)
Tom Cooper (31, Port Adelaide)
Michael Cormack (20, rookie, Adelaide)
John Dalton (21, Kensington)
Callum Ferguson (33, West Torrens)
David Grant (20, Kensington)
Travis Head (24, Australian contracted player, Tea Tree Gully)
Spencer Johnson (22, rookie, West Torrens)
Jake Lehmann (25, East Torrens)
Conor McInerney (24, Woodville)
Joe Mennie (29, Adelaide Uni)
Harry Nielsen (23, Woodville)
Elliot Opie (26, Kensington)
Patrick Page Jnr. (20, Tea Tree Gully)
Lloyd Pope (18, rookie, Kensington)
Ben Pengelley (20, rookie, Adelaide)
Kane Richardson (27, Australian contracted player, West Torrens)
Luke Robins (23, East Torrens)
Alex Ross (26, Kensington)
Chadd Sayers (30, Glenelg)
Kelvin Smith (23, West Torrens)
Cameron Valente (23, Adelaide)
Jake Weatherald (23, Adelaide Uni)
Jake Winter (20, rookie, Glenelg)
Nick Winter (24, Adelaide Uni)
Daniel Worrall (26, Kensington)
Adam Zampa (26, East Torrens)

Lost Tom O'Connell to Victoria which is bullshit. Great prospect, 17 years old. Have the Vics not got any wrist spinners among their almost 6 million population? Have to raid from one of the powerhouse states :rolleyes:

Maybe O'Connell saw himself behind Pope and Zampa as far as leg spinners go in SA, and with Ahmed moving on saw an opportunity to jump into the #2 spot in Victoria.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back