2018 Batman By-Election - LABOR WIN

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure if this means you have no counter argument and are thus just dodging the topic, or you're genuinely hoping that men don't get represented in Northcote...
None of the above, just your stupid question.

Suggest you look up what a recommended 'quota' means.
Tell you what it doesn't mean - a written in blood percentage!

I would be happy for the best 'person' representing my electorate and wouldn't care if it was a male or female or whatever, as long as they were pre-selected on merit.

Merit to me means looking past the blue or red tie.

I wonder how much Bhatal was successfully framed, media-wise. Every time I heard about her it was mentioned that she had run unsuccessfully six times before. At which point you wonder if people think what's wrong with her if she's lost so often?

I voted for the Greens - but I don't have any problem saying that I don't hate the result, and on a day that probably has a lot of winners, there are 2 distinct losers.

The winners?

Kearney, obviously, and also the Labor Party going forward. Ged will be a great parliamentarian, she'll be fast tracked to the ministry if she can hold on at the general election next year, and she'll be something that, try as that might, Labor don't have a lot of - really brilliant women who can take on key cabinet positions.

Progressive Labor voters are probably winners as well. It'll shake out over the next few days, but if Ged as only won by a handful of first preferences, and was elected on preferences, the left wing of Labor will force them to revisit asylum seeker policy. I don't think they'll change it - xenophobia still reigns in some key electorates in NSW and QLD - but they'll at least have to have the discussion again.

I think it's good for people that live in the electorate - Labor has to commit more time and energy to this electorate now, which should result in meaningful commitments going forward. I think Shorten has demonstrated over the last month that it's tough to fight a battle on the left and right at the same time, but how I think you might be able to do it? Stop this bullshit of trying to have 2 different opinions depending on what state you're in, and just throw money at the problem. Some people will see that as cynical, but what else can he do?

Longterm, I think it's good for the Greens as well. This is surely it for Bhathal. The fact she's gone backwards in the last 18(ish) months has to finish her, and it has to give us a new candidate. And I know Lee Rhiannon gives them problems, but if they're going up against Ged Kearney the Greens need to find a hard left candidate - not a "Tampa Green", but someone whose background better aligns with a broader number of Green policies. In a seat like Batman, you can't go with someone old enough to have been in the original forestry battles, but it needs to be someone whose ideology was formed before 2001 in my opinion.

So the 2 losers I refer to - one is obviously Bhathal, cos I think she's done her dash. The other is Di Natale. I don't think this will cost him his leadership, nor do I think it should - let's not jump at shadows after a by-election. But he has been so tightly wed to the same faction of the Victorian Greens as Bhathal. I know he's not going to want to be seen to be responding to a gun held to his head over the leaking of the last few weeks. But he's got to be politically astute enough to sort it out. The inner northern suburbs of Melbourne have become the new base for the Greens, and if it's going to be at each others throat, it's enough to demonstrate a "Greens in turmoil" image.

Essentially this is what leadership is about, and it's where his leadership is tested. If he can't sort it out, if the leaking continues, if Bhathal runs again in 2019, and if the Greens win neither Batman or Wills next year - he needs to go. And it needs to result in an overhaul of the Greens.

Asylum seeker policy was my deciding factor today - but as a Tasmanian who grew up during the forestry battles of the 90s and whose ideology was formed before Tampa, my belief is that people like me deserve better than the factionalised rabble that the Greens have come to reflect over the last couple of years.

Last edited:
Genuine question - if this isn't enough for Di Natale to get the boot, what is?

I see a guy who has presided over a Greens who have gone steadily backwards (both electorally and internally, federally and at state level) since he took the top job. Surely at some point it has to be enough.

I think the Greens would be doing themselves a disservice to let Dick lead them to a mediocre Federal result next year. TAS, SA and now Batman have given plenty of indication of what's in store for them if they continue unchanged.

I voted for the Greens - but I don't have any problem saying that I don't hate the result, and on a day that probably has a lot of winners, there are 2 distinct losers.

The winners?

Kearney, obviously, and also the Labor Party going forward. Ged will be a great parliamentarian, she'll be fast tracked to the ministry if she can hold on at the general election next year, and she'll be something that, try as that might, Labor don't have a lot of - really brilliant women who can take on key cabinet positions.

Progressive Labor voters are probably winners as well. It'll shake out over the next few days, but if Ged as only won by a handful of first preferences, and was elected on preferences, the left wing of Labor will force them to revisit asylum seeker policy. I don't think they'll change it - xenophobia still reigns in some key electorates in NSW and QLD - but they'll at least have to have the discussion again.

I think it's good for people that live in the electorate - Labor has to commit more time and energy to this electorate now, which should result in meaningful commitments going forward. I think Shorten has demonstrated over the last month that it's tough to fight a battle on the left and right at the same time, but how I think you might be able to do it? Stop this bullshit of trying to have 2 different opinions depending on what state you're in, and just throw money at the problem. Some people will see that as cynical, but what else can he do?

Longterm, I think it's good for the Greens as well. This is surely it for Bhathal. The fact she's gone backwards in the last 18(ish) months has to finish her, and it has to give us a new candidate. And I know Lee Rhiannon gives them problems, but if they're going up against Ged Kearney the Greens need to find a hard left candidate - not a "Tampa Green", but someone whose background better aligns with a broader number of Green policies. In a seat like Batman, you can't go with someone old enough to have been in the original forestry battles, but it needs to be someone whose ideology was formed before 2001 in my opinion.

So the 2 losers I refer to - one is obviously Bhathal, cos I think she's done her dash. The other is Di Natale. I don't think this will cost him his leadership, nor do I think it should - let's not jump at shadows after a by-election. But he has been so tightly wed to the same faction of the Victorian Greens as Bhathal. I know he's not going to want to be seen to be responding to a gun held to his head over the leaking of the last few weeks. But he's got to be politically astute enough to sort it out. The inner northern suburbs of Melbourne have become the new base for the Greens, and if it's going to be at each others throat, it's enough to demonstrate a "Greens in turmoil" image.

Essentially this is what leadership is about, and it's where his leadership is tested. If he can't sort it out, if the leaking continues, if Bhathal runs again in 2019, and if the Greens win neither Batman or Wills next year - he needs to go. And it needs to result in an overhaul of the Greens.

Asylum seeker policy was my deciding factor today - but as a Tasmanian who grew up during the forestry battles of the 90s and whose ideology was formed before Tampa, my belief is that people like me deserve better than the factionalised rabble that the Greens have come to reflect over the last couple of years.
I live in Wills and the margin is 4.8, doable but will depend on policies and possible redrawing of electorate. If part of Will ends up in Calwell then will be very tight.

Greens running strongly against Adani and Asylum Seekers, should be interesting as the Greens cut the margin substantially last election

I see a guy who has presided over a Greens who have gone steadily backwards (both electorally and internally, federally and at state level) since he took the top job. Surely at some point it has to be enough.

I think the Greens would be doing themselves a disservice to let Dick lead them to a mediocre Federal result next year. TAS, SA and now Batman have given plenty of indication of what's in store for them if they continue unchanged.
Are you are Green voter? If not why are you so into Di Natale?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You really want Di Natale gone don't you?
Why?

What was the label?
'Greens voter', 'Labor voter', 'Coalition voter'.

The only people who identify with parties like footy teams are those with no interest in politics, and those with too much interest in politics.

You really want Di Natale gone don't you?
Why?
Because he is an empty suit, and one of the major things that the Greens used to bring to politics is not having those.

The only people who identify with parties like footy teams are those with no interest in politics, and those with too much interest in politics.

Because he is an empty suit. There are plenty of those in the major parties already.

Do you call for their demise relentlessly too?

Because he is an empty suit. There are plenty of those in the major parties already.
That is not labelling, just curious. Way too sensitive!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back