Senior 28. David Cuningham

Remove this Banner Ad

Have no doubt that Cunners is a bit more guarded and reserved than some of the other guys. Spending years in a boys choir probably provided plenty of ammunition for his junior teammates to hang a bit of s**t on him. As long as he delivers on-field I don't have an issue with him being a bit of a lone wolf in his own time.

Given most pundits would say his chief weakness is his ability to find the ball, I was having a think today about players who were coached to be good ball winners (rather than it coming naturally). To those who watched Brett Ratten in his back pocket days, I am wondering if he was a natural ball winner at the start? I remember his eye surgery helped, but I think that was after the shift to the midfield. Perhaps it was just his pace that initially held him back?

Kind of wonder (funnily enough the same question came up last year) if he's done enough to warrant selection in Round 1.

Injuries permitting, he's not best 22 at the moment IMO. O'Shea and Mullett were better in the second game, and I reckon Dow and Kennedy coming in will limit his opportunity in the midfield.

Given most pundits would say his chief weakness is his ability to find the ball, I was having a think today about players who were coached to be good ball winners (rather than it coming naturally). To those who watched Brett Ratten in his back pocket days, I am wondering if he was a natural ball winner at the start? I remember his eye surgery helped, but I think that was after the shift to the midfield. Perhaps it was just his pace that initially held him back?

I can't really recall him standing out as a ball winner in the back pocket but that's the nature of the position. Mind you I only saw televised games and they weren't every week in Queensland back then.

I think Cuningham needs to develop some real mongeral and physicality to his game and just harden his edge and attack on the footy. Not saying it's a real problem but you have to be good if you're going to position like he does, which is pretty inside. I think a good run on the back flank may help his game a lot, he's got some good attributes for this position.

I think the move to the backline might be a good one. Did some good things v hawks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think he needs to play seniors and would prefer him to Mullet and O'Shea. He's never found a lot of the ball, but I think he has performed to the standard every time he had played seniors

I think he needs to play seniors and would prefer him to Mullet and O'Shea. He's never found a lot of the ball, but I think he has performed to the standard every time he had played seniors

He doesn't get a lot of it yet but he's got such good hands and a true turn of pace that even 15 touches will have a degree of hurt factor which is good. I'm keen for him to play too.

Cant believe this bloke isn't getting a game. Is it a good thing though that we have some depth or is he just hard done by that hes not getting picked?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Backline is strong wings are ok, his form has been moderated, 1st JLT pretty good, second pretty quiet, VFL I heard was alright. He's probably not bashing the door down like we had hoped. From what I see he needs to get a bit of mongrel and toughness to his game. His athleticism and ball use are great. Just needs to go to that next level. This is the year to do it. I just feel manic competitiveness is something that will take him to where he needs to be. Would like to see him in the team but only if he's playing good consistent footy.

It's something that doesn't come naturally for him and one that is hard to teach as well (manic competitiveness)

Shame because its holding him back to some extent

Thought he made too many mistakes. Quick feet not so quick betwen the ears.
Wouldn't be suprised if ge gets dropped.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Was hoping Collins... But for Collins to have slipped this far perhaps he is another Watson.... Welcome David!

Collins delisted today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back