Vegetarianism/Veganism

Remove this Banner Ad

I eat boiled/scrambled eggs, i don't think that's meat. But I'm assuming you mean Bacon and sausages for breakfast?

A general question to everyone: what would it take for you to give up meat? And what are your thoughts on the following reasons for going vego:

What would it take?

Tofu to taste exactly like steak would probably help.

There's some pretty good fake meat out there. It's definitely made a lot easier now.

Most animals wouldn't even be alive if they weren't up for slaughter.

I'm not sure if we're doing them a favour by bringing them into this world to be reared in a cramped metal cage.

There's some pretty good fake meat out there.

False.

If you want meat, eat meat. If you want veges, eat veges. Foods pretending to be meat should not be a thing.

I eat less meat than I used to but have never tried cutting it out altogether. Last night I had a Mexican salsa type thing with beans/tomatoes/capsicum/corn and spices with some grilled chicken breast. That could've been a meat free meal easily and tasted good.

Agree with the earlier post that if you can't cook then being a vego would be shite. But to be fair if you do eat meat you should still be able to cook.

False.

If you want meat, eat meat. If you want veges, eat veges. Foods pretending to be meat should not be a thing.

Some people who grew up with eating meat and have nostalgic memories of it still want to enjoy the taste/texture of meat without being involved in any cruelty involved in its making.

He's actually correct. It's surprising how similar you can make it taste with the right spices. I even got my hardcore meat eating step father to actually look forward to going to a vego chinese place around the corner. Most of it you would honestly struggle to know was any different to regular chinese.

I went vegetarian for a few months, just because I got sick of meat. I actually enjoyed being a vegetarian and didn't really ever crave meat, and at that point I really thought I could eventually slowly transition into a vegan diet. Nowadays I enjoy a good steak once in a while but I'm not going to lie, it does hang on my conscience knowing how horribly animals get treated in the process.

This could potentially be a game changer.

https://www.impossiblefoods.com/

Called, appropriately, the “Impossible Burger”, it’s taken five years to produce a burger patty that looks, smells, tastes, sounds (that delicious sizzle…), cooks and bleeds like meat. Seriously It's hard to believe there's no meat in this burger

This level of perfection is essential because, as the company’s founder Patrick Brown explains, “we had to make something that a meat lover will prefer to what they’re getting today from an animal.”

“The only customer that we care about … is someone who loves meat, is not looking for an alternative, and is not going to compromise on the pleasure of eating meat.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wife is vegetarian and does most of the cooking, so I probably only eat meat 2-3 times a week (if eating out or buying lunch).

Certainly expanded the range of foods I eat and I don't find myself missing it.

False.

There actually is some great fake meat. Although yes, steak is probably the hardest to replicate. But there's plenty of good fake chicken, pork, sausage/mince etc products out there.

Disagree on the last part. If you have ethical objections to eating meat but you had enjoyed the taste of it previously why would you not have fake meat when you fancy it.

Anyone into it?

I've cut out dairy from my diet, done so for the last 3 weeks. Have also cut down my meat intake. I reckon I'm slowly, very slowly, transitioning to vegetarian and then possibly vegan lifestyle.

Any vegeterians/vegans here wanna share their experiences, tips, advice etc etc

I would love to go full vegan.

I eat vegetarian during the week and although I am a young alcoholic, I don't do carbs (use heaps of substitute pastas), I haven't eaten proper sugar for years, I drink almond mind, no bread, no rice. It's about feeling more than anything but the health benefits are great. I generally eat chicken on weekends or a steak once a month but yeah. I like eating well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back