2018 Rucks

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Any chance trengrove ends up first ruck for the dogs?
I don't know much about him tbh.
Always seemed decent.
Forward selectable only.
Im keen but his price kills my Bonnar.
Bloke can play but his role is as iffy as Dangers hammie

Can someone explain to me why Sauce Jacobs isnt in the conversation this year?

Averaged 108 in finals which would have upped his overall average to 100 if finals counted. Durable as you're going to find for a ruckman. Averaged 107 and 115 2 and 3 years ago. Has Crouch, Gibbs and Sloane at his feet for a basically automatic very good HO to advantage percentage.

Adelaide should be very good again, and if you look at who Sauce is up against for the first 10 games I wouldn't be surprised to see him average 105+ over this period (Bellchambers, Nankervis, Longer, Grundy, Sinclair, Witts, Kreuzer, Ryder, Roughead, Gawn, Lobb).

He'll beat all those guys in hit outs except for Witts, Ryder and Gawn. He'll beat Witts around the ground, Ryder and Gawn should get the better of him though (he did however score 95 and 138 VS Ryder last season, the 138 winning him the Showdown medal).

Anyway it seems there are many ruckman being considered, but Sauce isn't one of them. I feel like I must be missing something, but he's locked as my current R1.

From memory I think Sauce dropped a few points when the HOTA scoring system came in. Maybe his tapouts get sharked a bit?

From memory I think Sauce dropped a few points when the HOTA scoring system came in. Maybe his tapouts get sharked a bit?
Actually the opposite! He was the top scoring ruckman the year they brought it in and had the highest HOTA the first season they brought it in.

To strengthen his case, he's gone 115, 107, 87 and 96 the last 4 years. Last year with his 87 he had an injury affected score of 26, as well as 2 finals games where he scored 105 and 98. Once you consider those things you suddenly realise his 1 bad year wasn't actually so bad.

He's as solid of a pick as you're going to find. Being a tap ruckman he's historically struggled again Mumford (scored only 59 and 71 against him last season from 28 and 30 hit outs after averaging 40 for the season) who he won't have to face any more (Adelaide face GWS twice this season)

Maybe I'm trying to talk myself into confirming he's a good pick. Either way, I can't believe how little he's been mentioned.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Actually the opposite! He was the top scoring ruckman the year they brought it in and had the highest HOTA the first season they brought it in.

To strengthen his case, he's gone 115, 107, 87 and 96 the last 4 years. Last year with his 87 he had an injury affected score of 26, as well as 2 finals games where he scored 105 and 98. Once you consider those things you suddenly realise his 1 bad year wasn't actually so bad.

He's as solid of a pick as you're going to find. Being a tap ruckman he's historically struggled again Mumford (scored only 59 and 71 against him last season from 28 and 30 hit outs after averaging 40 for the season) who he won't have to face any more (Adelaide face GWS twice this season)

Maybe I'm trying to talk myself into confirming he's a good pick. Either way, I can't believe how little he's been mentioned.

Good thing we aren't relying on my memory. Did his around the ground stuff drop off when the Crows shifted to their fast transition from half back? Looks like his marks dropped significantly from '15 to '16.

I had Jacobs in the first draft of my team due to the uncertainty regarding ruck structure of other teams. I traded him to the big Steffi once it became clear Smith is a fair way off and Steffi will likely be the solo ruckman.
My reasoning is he plays like an extra midfielder so in games where he might get beaten in the HTA, he still might get 20 odd possessions that will help his scores.
Jacobs just doesn't get enough of the ball so if does get beaten in the ruck, his 10 odd possessions don't really help. Also Adelaide will share points among Sloane, laird, gibbs, the crouch brothers. There's 5 options that should average over 100 in one team. Martin really only has Beams and Zorko as competition for points every week.
Jacobs could well average around 95-100 which would be a good pick, i just think martin has more of an upside.

I had Jacobs in the first draft of my team due to the uncertainty regarding ruck structure of other teams. I traded him to the big Steffi once it became clear Smith is a fair way off and Steffi will likely be the solo ruckman.
My reasoning is he plays like an extra midfielder so in games where he might get beaten in the HTA, he still might get 20 odd possessions that will help his scores.
Jacobs just doesn't get enough of the ball so if does get beaten in the ruck, his 10 odd possessions don't really help. Also Adelaide will share points among Sloane, laird, gibbs, the crouch brothers. There's 5 options that should average over 100 in one team. Martin really only has Beams and Zorko as competition for points every week.
Jacobs could well average around 95-100 which would be a good pick, i just think martin has more of an upside.

Kreuzer can do the same thing too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like MKreuzer, but SMartin at $63K cheaper basically hopes that SMartin can score within 12.6 points of Kreuzer, and I believe he can, and I can reinvest that saved $63K elsewhere to reap at least if not more 12.6 points and save me the MKreuzer injury concerns carried over from JLT.

Last edited:

Wish he had the duel position haha.

Going with Goldy and Gawn. Usually take a risk in my rucks every year and regret it. Haven't had a solid ruck duo play out a whole season for years. Think Kruze and Nic Nat back in 2012 was the last time I started and ended a season with the same 2 rucks. They were a nice combo that year. Bit more confident going in with two proven performers this season.

I like MKreuzer, but SMartin at $63K cheaper basically hopes that SMartin can score within 12.6 points of Kreuzer, and I believe he can, and I can reinvest that saved $63K elsewhere to reap at least if not more 12.6 points elsewhere. and save me the MKreuzer injury concerns carried over from JLT.

Kreuzer is good to go next week. Hasn’t missed footy in the last 45 to 60 games of late. Durable af. Doesn’t have competition competing with him. I agree on stef and I love him too. End of the day both options are good

View attachment 469998

Hawks were linked to him a while back. Has a very good leap
Not linked to; was a Hawthorn academy player.

Was never in contention to be drafted by Hawthorn because recruiters, with the assistance of Monkey, the 2nd best ruck coach in the league, deemed him too raw and not a natural enough footballer to be worth the list spot.

Only thing he has going for him is his athleticism.

I wouldn't waste your R3 spot on him, he's no hope of playing in '18.

Not linked to; was a Hawthorn academy player.

Was never in contention to be drafted by Hawthorn because recruiters, with the assistance of Monkey, the 2nd best ruck coach in the league, deemed him too raw and not a natural enough footballer to be worth the list spot.

Only thing he has going for him is his athleticism.

I wouldn't waste your R3 spot on him, he's no hope of playing in '18.

That's why people are picking him.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-18/season-preview-sydney

This guy seems to think Darcy Cameron should be the main ruckman and leave Callum Sinclair out of the side completely

The afl site has some of the most horrid journalism you’d ever see. They don’t appear to follow the game at all. There was an article a few weeks back that said Geelongs midfield lacked depth and in the same breath said how good Brisbane’s was.

Those looking to pair Stef or Goldy with Gawn - they all have the same bye round. I know it's best 18 counts but it does cut down your options when you have both rucks miss in the same round.

I don’t think that’s a concern a lot can happen from rnd 1 until the byes come. Ryder kreuzer stef r the only 3 I prefer out of the rest

Those looking to pair Stef or Goldy with Gawn - they all have the same bye round. I know it's best 18 counts but it does cut down your options when you have both rucks miss in the same round.
Don't forget Ruck players rarely get thru a season without being traded ....plus many are going to bring Ryder in after his R10 Bye

Yeah it's not ideal, but it is what it is, I want them both as I believe they'll be the number 1 and 2 ruckman for the season

I'll plan to do a double upgrade in round 13 using players that have already had their bye, hopefully it works out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back