Political Discussion part #2 - Let’s go out for 10 Big Macs at the Engadine Maccas!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd know better than I, but in my experience there's a cultural shift in the use of ED. People up to the age of about 30 use the ED as normal people use a GP. I see it with my employees, got a headache, off to see a doctor at the hospital.
Trouble is up there and i experienced it first hand with my son last year, is after hrs we went to the gp next to the hospital and they were full and told us to go the the ED where we got straight in.

And the ones that are open after hours are generally the absolute pits in terms of quality doctors. Same goes for locums. Then there's the fees if they don't bulk bill. For some, why pay $50 to see an after hours GP when you can go to an ED for free.

While I'd personally only go to an ED after I've seen the GP and they tell me to go, I get why people would choose to go straight there.
Which all gets back my argument that Health should all be under the 1 jurisdiction - the Commonwealth as the 1 funder of services.

It would then become clearer about how to best provide true emergency services v not as urgent GP category 4/5 services.

At the moment you have GP's funded by the Commonwealth, who don't have an incentive to deal with after hours services, as they only pick up half of the tab if they go to ED.

The day it all comes under 1 jurisdiction, stopping the cost shifting, we can truly look at how to best provide overall services.

Which all gets back my argument that Health should all be under the 1 jurisdiction - the Commonwealth as the 1 funder of services.

It would then become clearer about how to best provide true emergency services v not as urgent GP category 4/5 services.

At the moment you have GP's funded by the Commonwealth, who don't have an incentive to deal with after hours services, as they only pick up half of the tab if they go to ED.

The day it all comes under 1 jurisdiction, stopping the cost shifting, we can truly look at how to best provide overall services.
There are plenty of things that should be commonwealth run, I'm involved with food, we are registered with 4 councils in 4 states each with different rules and regulations, why should food safety be any different state to state?

Interestingly Heysen has swung back to SA Best 52.3% with 72% counted. Preferences will have a huge say in this one

As I mentioned last night, calling Adelaide to the Libs was too early, as they lead by a slender 50.2% with only 65% counted.

The other in doubt is Mawson, but Labor extending on 51.2% with 69% counted.

Looking like Libs will just get a majority in their own right if they hang on to Adelaide:
24 Liberal
19 Labor
1 SA Best
3 independents

But if they lose Adelaide to the ALP, they will have a minority government, requiring the Liberal independent
Libs are currently 51.9% in Heysen but 13 votes behind in Adelaide.

Do you really want to pay a non-committed politician $150k+ for 4 years? There's near zero oversight of what they do, I'd prefer to pay for the bi-election and get someone hungry and committed in.

I'd prefer not to pay for a by-election, especially if it's straight after an election. And if the MP won't pay for it, think laterally about it and change the rules so their party can't run in the by-election.

You're absolutely on the money about zero oversight though, which is why this will never happen.

There are plenty of things that should be commonwealth run, I'm involved with food, we are registered with 4 councils in 4 states each with different rules and regulations, why should food safety be any different state to state?
Personally I would move all major issues to the Commonwealth - Health, Education & laws (why does each state need to have a different version as we are 1 country)... Then merge state with local governments to deal with community issues

Libs are currently 51.9% in Heysen but 13 votes behind in Adelaide.
Hmmm, ABC site was not so accurate then & must have swapped Libs & SAB votes in Heysen.

Libs still look likely to get 24 then even if they drop Adelaide, which could go either way. This seat used to go with the winner, but now it seems to reverse...

I'd prefer not to pay for a by-election, especially if it's straight after an election. And if the MP won't pay for it, think laterally about it and change the rules so their party can't run in the by-election.

You're absolutely on the money about zero oversight though, which is why this will never happen.

We've had this a couple if times for council elections up here. Why cant they just re-count with the resigning member removed from the count.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've had this a couple if times for council elections up here. Why cant they just re-count with the resigning member removed from the count.
Not unreasonable within a certain timeframe.

Would save heaps of taxpayer money... & prevent politicians wimping out on a commitment.

In the north east there are two large medical centres being built as we speak that I know of. Must be plenty of money in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back