Analysis Rules for Surrendering Players

Remove this Banner Ad

The new expansion rules could decimate us IMO

No doubt at all in my mind that extra funds will be available by a few clubs to attract and retain

We wont

Mark my words geelong will abuse this , dogs as well ,
Melbourne will lose Cranston and miffen to them

The new expansion rules could decimate us IMO

No doubt at all in my mind that extra funds will be available by a few clubs to attract and retain

We wont

Mark my words geelong will abuse this , dogs as well ,
Melbourne will lose Cranston and miffen to them
Yep there's a chance, but unlike the previous ruling it's not guaranteed.

Geelong will certainly target Melbourne's Geelong residents especially given two of them were VFLW cats (Teague, Hoare) before entering the AFLW (Cranston had already played for Carlton and Mithen the dees), but that's a risk Melbourne took. The upcoming VFLW season may give an indication on their allegiances. I don't see how the 'dogs are any different to us though.

Under the old system the only ways a club could have got to 100 points using just 4 players were:

Player rank|1-3 (50)|4-6 (30)|7-14 (20)|15+(10)|Total Points
\Quantity lost|2||||100
\|1|1|1||100
\|1||2|1|100
\||2|2||100
\||3||1|100
Ouch!

Confirmation that player movement will largely be dictated by the incoming clubs. I'd hope we're better setup as a club now, so we don't have a repeat of 2017. Ultimately if our systems, culture and resources are good we have less to be fearful of.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-ends-crows-flag-defence-20180318-p4z4yh.html
Siekman said he was fearful about looming raids from expansion clubs Geelong and North Melbourne, both of whom enter the competition next season.

“Unfortunately, where this competition’s at at the moment, the existing clubs get no say in who gets poached," Siekman said.

“And it’s scary. Last year we were really disappointed that our two best players (Nic Stevens and Alicia Eva) left our football club, and this year I get really scared and really worried that our top three, top four players, could leave this club. It’s not fair on the existing clubs.

“You can get your heart broken straight down the middle.

“You’d actually love to be a Geelong or North Melbourne."

Last edited:

Confirmation that player movement will largely be dictated by the incoming clubs. I'd hope we're better setup as a club now, so we don't have a repeat of 2017. Ultimately if our systems, culture and resources are good we have less to be fearful of.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-ends-crows-flag-defence-20180318-p4z4yh.html

Dont enjoy this shifting ground. Its difficult to form strong fan attachments to individual players, when their futures are so uncertain.

Do you know if the same thing will happen again at the end of the 2019 season?

Dont enjoy this shifting ground. Its difficult to form strong fan attachments to individual players, when their futures are so uncertain.

Do you know if the same thing will happen again at the end of the 2019 season?
I hope it doesn't happen again in 12 months time and we see the ability to sign players to more than a 1 year contract. As you inferred and McGuire said at the season launch in relation to the men's game fans should a develop favourite and follow their journey. Given an expansion has been announced I'd assume the AFL will stick with more of the same though, but that's just a guess.

I’d much prefer if Siekman had said ...

“There will be list changes, the AFL mandates that. We may even lose some individual players to other teams just as we did last year. However, our culture and organisational structures are solid and irrespective of list changes, we’re confident of our ability to be a strong and competitive team next year.”

I’d much prefer if Siekman had said ...

“There will be list changes, the AFL mandates that. We may even lose some individual players to other teams just as we did last year. However, our culture and organisational structures are solid and irrespective of list changes, we’re confident of our ability to be a strong and competitive team next year.”
Yep, is it just a matter of lacking media training since he’s relatively new to the AFL environment?

Yep, is it just a matter of lacking media training since he’s relatively new to the AFL environment?

That sentiment shouldn’t come from media training - it should come from strong leadership.

Maybe he knows something we don't and doesn't want to be made silly later.
Or he could just be honest to a fault

If he doesn’t believe that he has created a strong culture and framework for sustainable success, then he should resign.

If he doesn’t believe that he has created a strong culture and framework for sustainable success, then he should resign.
Not sure how much control he has. Who knows what North and Geelong will be able to offer the players that we are unable to

Not sure how much control he has. Who knows what North and Geelong will be able to offer the players that we are unable to

Sure, he could/should only be responsible for things that are within his control.

The North Melbourne / Geelong concessions are outside his control.

But creating a strong team culture is within his control.

As is making a public show of support for the players (if that’s what he thinks is warranted)

As is having a crack at the AFL if the foundation teams are being unfairly treated (although Collingwood does have a much better qualified attack dog for that purpose)

I just don’t see what point “heart gets broken down the middle” serves? What are the players, the fans, the AFL meant to do with that? It sounds more like the last desperate pleas of a spurned lover than the rallying cry of a senior coach.

Last edited:

Exactly right

GAURANTEES geelong have a super powerful team

Money money

Cotton on , costa

No reward for getting in early

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly right

GAURANTEES geelong have a super powerful team

Money money

Cotton on , costa

No reward for getting in early

Not necessarily - it wouldn’t be a very good look for the competition if the two new teams sweep all before them and play off in next year’s GF.

No update on the transfer rules, but league B&F Emma Kearney (WB) has joined North who have a strong alignment with her existing VFLW club.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...bulldogs-north-melbourne-20180405-p4z7y6.html
For Emma Kearney, joining North Melbourne is simultaneously a homecoming and a fresh start. The Kangaroos’ first big AFLW fish is excited about the challenge that comes with being the star of a new side, but in a sense this isn’t anything new at all.

The Roos, who enter the competition next season, have had a long affiliation with Melbourne University women’s club, Kearney’s side for most of her adult life. Laura Kane, North's football operations manager, is president of Melbourne Uni. Scott Gowans, last year appointed North’s inaugural AFLW coach, is also taking charge of Melbourne Uni in this year’s VFL competition, where Kearney will again be one of the the side’s prime movers.

The AFL is also sticking with a tiered payment structure

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...tiered-payment-structure-20180404-p4z7ss.html
The existing structure is expected to be modified to include more tiers than the model that was in place in 2018, providing clubs with greater flexibility as they attempt to attract or retain their best players.

Expansion rules and signing windows announced

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2018-05-08/aflw-player-movement
The Expansion Signing Period will commence from Friday, May 11 and will continue until Monday, May 21.

Between these dates, only four players from any one club can transfer to the expansion clubs, unless agreed by the clubs and the AFL.

Geelong Cats and North Melbourne can approach players, with the players’ 2018 clubs having the right to make a counter offer. The AFL will approve all player movements before a player is signed.

Geelong Cats and North Melbourne will continue their list development during the NAB AFLW Trade Period and the NAB AFLW Draft.

In other changes, in 2019 the AFLW player payment structure will be expanded to four tiers.

Clubs will have flexibility with regards to the number of players in each tier, but clubs will be permitted to a maximum of three players in tier one.

Head of Women’s Football Nicole Livingstone said the expansion signing period is ready to commence now the 2019 tiered payment structure has been approved by the AFL Players’ Association.

“This is another exciting step for our competition. We have worked closely with the AFLPA to ensure we have a payment structure that is appropriate at this stage of the competition,” she said.

“Welcoming more players into the competition has allowed us to expand the payment structure. This will also give the clubs more flexibility with their list management.

“Further discussion between the AFL and the AFLPA will determine actual player payments. This will take place once the 2019 program and associated revenue is confirmed.”
Key AFLW dates

May 4 - Expansion Clubs presented their list strategies to the AFL

May 11-21 - Expansion signing period commences/closes

May 22 - 2018 NAB AFLW Draft order set

May 23 - June 4 - Sign & Trade period commences/closes

June 4 - 7 - Free agency period commences/closes

June 8 - Preliminary List Lodgement

After my initial interest in this competition, the situation created by the transfer policies has killed it off. It's difficult enough to keep the focus in the men's roster with free agency and big pay packets ensuring that club loyalty is for fans only ; it has no relevance to players. The situation is so much worse in this competition. There is no point in investing any of your emotion in the team, because it will have completely changed next season. Speculate on recruiting - why bother- there is no scope for building anything, only year by year grabs. I can't see myself having much interest in it next year.

After my initial interest in this competition, the situation created by the transfer policies has killed it off. It's difficult enough to keep the focus in the men's roster with free agency and big pay packets ensuring that club loyalty is for fans only ; it has no relevance to players. The situation is so much worse in this competition. There is no point in investing any of your emotion in the team, because it will have completely changed next season. Speculate on recruiting - why bother- there is no scope for building anything, only year by year grabs. I can't see myself having much interest in it next year.
I'm leaning the same way especially as the merry-go-round will continue again next offseason with more teams coming in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back