Katie Brennan appeal - Wins battle with AFL

hoianbulldog

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2006
Hoi An, Vietnam. I am off the grid.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Embarrassing. Hope it is out of her pocket and not the clubs
The club are behind this. I doubt she would be going to the HRC without blessing and money.

There are much better ways too address this problem and they don't involve making the club look like complete flogs.

As I said in another thread, lawyers gotta be lawyers so everyone is reminder they are lawyers. Looking at you Peter Gordon.

Truly embarrasing for the club.

Rance2Mewtwo

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
I think it should just be a lesser fine then. If she was fined 1k, instead of the 5k a male would have been, it would have been entirely fair?

Still, that's 20% of their salary for the season, which for the men would be like $100,000 if they want to scale it equally.

Financial penalties are acceptable in a full-time, professional, billion dollar men's code, but they're vicious in a part-time, start-up, low-revenue women's code.

They're apples and oranges (not due to gender), so the real injustice is how any differences become an opportunity for self-serving SJWs to perceive them as evidence for sexism.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Still, that's 20% of their salary for the season, which for the men would be like $100,000 if they want to scale it equally.

Financial penalties are acceptable in a full-time, professional, billion dollar men's code, but they're vicious in a part-time, start-up, low-revenue women's code.

They're apples and oranges (not due to gender), so the real injustice is how any differences become an opportunity for self-serving SJWs to perceive them as evidence for sexism.
Please the club would pay the fine.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
All this is doing is continuing the trainwreck circus the aflw has been since day one.

BINGO!

The AFL's chickens are coming home to roost, and it's only going to get worse.

They should never have gone near this in the first place.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The club are behind this. I doubt she would be going to the HRC without blessing and money.

There are much better ways too address this problem and they don't involve making the club look like complete flogs.

As I said in another thread, lawyers gotta be lawyers so everyone is reminder they are lawyers. Looking at you Peter Gordon.

Truly embarrasing for the club.

What did you expect with people like Gordon and Stary lurking about the place?

gavaniacono

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
Hanoi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
I think it should just be a lesser fine then. If she was fined 1k, instead of the 5k a male would have been, it would have been entirely fair?
Or the option either of 2?
There must be an easy common sense silution...

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I wrote that message first thing this morning before any article appeared.

The logic is this: the rules were in place before the beginning of the season, so that AFLW players were not unfairly penalised financially. The tradeoff was weeks vs cash. Going the "sexual discrimination" route made your entire club look like flogs. Sorry, but them's the breaks.
Perhaps you could have read the post directly above yours, linking to the article?

You may think the club has acted like 'flogs' by challenging the ruling, but that doesn't really explain why "if they win (the grand final) they will look like even bigger flogs than they currently do", which was my question to you.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
The Bulldogs are such heroes, fighting for equality. Wonderful ethics and just so brave;

However:
1. When she got a reprimand earlier in the season they didn't cry about how they should pay a fine rather than a slap on the wrist or go to the human rights commission for justice for all women
2. When she got suspended from the grand final, they didn't seek justice for all women and go to the human rights commission, they decided to fight the suspension, didn't even mention that paying a fine should be the outcome for fairness
2. When the suspension was confirmed at the tribunal, they didn't seek justice for all women and go to the human rights commission, they again tried to have the suspension quashed on some other basis, again the fine wasn't brought up.
3. Then when this was upheld again on appeal they cry 'poor us' and its an injustice for all women. We wont play her but will do everything for all the women out there as we are the moral police.

Outstanding citizens
What do the Bulldogs have to do with this? This is Brennan herself lodging the complaint with the human rights commission?

Timewaster

Club Legend
Jul 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
The AFL has underwritten a loss-making competition of very questionable quality amidst nothing but whinging from gender-focussed sections of the media. In the case of a few short months they’ve had to deal with
– a pre-op transsexual making headlines and putting the comp in an untenable position whether to allow him to play
– onfield sexual harassment
– a routine suspension of a serial rule-breaker taken to the HRC on human right grounds

This beggars belief. The AFL must wish they hadn’t bothered. The idea was just to have a league for women so more girls would play on the weekends. It’s turned into a circus where nobody talks about the actual games…

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Perhaps you could have read the post directly above yours, linking to the article?

You may think the club has acted like 'flogs' by challenging the ruling, but that doesn't really explain why "if they win (the grand final) they will look like even bigger flogs than they currently do", which was my question to you.

Because they will have made a whole lot of fuss over a player who didnt actually matter to the team winning.

The AFL has underwritten a loss-making competition of very questionable quality amidst nothing but whinging from gender-focussed sections of the media. In the case of a few short months they’ve had to deal with
– a pre-op transsexual making headlines and putting the comp in an untenable position whether to allow him to play
– a routine suspension of a serial rule-breaker taken to the HRC on human right grounds

This beggars belief. The AFL must wish they hadn’t bothered. The idea was just to have a league for women so more girls would play on the weekends. It’s turned into a circus where nobody talks about the actual games…

Have often thought the same thing. The league itself was a wonderful idea. Not sure it's panned out how they'd hoped, however.

Jun 6, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
All this is doing is continuing the trainwreck circus the aflw has been since day one.

trainwreck circus?? Hardly. This is the world's elite female AFL competition. The WORLD, i.e. across the entire planet, no other females play the game better.

If you want to see a train wreck circus, just look at the Essendope saga and how the AFL handled / tried to hide that and the conduct of the Essendon players appealing to Swiss Federal Tribunal. That's a globally embarrassing train wreck!

While some within the AFL may indeed have wanted the league for the sake of higher female participation, the real reason it went ahead was for good PR, so the AFL could appear to be 'with the times'. They've put themselves in a position now where whatever they do will reflect badly on them.

Back