Political Discussion part #2 - Let’s go out for 10 Big Macs at the Engadine Maccas!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
K-Mart has had 24-hour trading in Canberra for several years now. They even applied for an exemption, allowing them to do it on Christmas Day. Thankfully that was rejected.

I think the supermarkets have a good balance. They're open from 6am to midnight. They probably don't do a lot of trade after 9pm, but it's definitely handy having them open in case you do need something urgently.

Being open late means that you can go and do your shopping after work, any day of the week. This makes the shops less crowded on Saturday mornings and during "late night shopping". Yes, Canberra does still have late night shopping - but it only really affects the smaller specialty shops, not the supermarkets.

We're deregulated here. When I first arrived in 1998, Coles was 24hr and Woolies, like Empire Records, were open to midnight. I think they're now both 6am to 9pm. I'd suggest that's due to us being a long way off the tourism boom times. I doubt any deregulation will extend beyond the big 2 extending to match and try and kill the next level down and then they'll slowly return to existing situation. That's why I'm against deregulation, at least as it relates to Coles and Woolies.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Dutton gone even further into La La Land. Andrew Broad should be sacked for his comments.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2...ican-white-farmer-visa-plan?ocid=Social-9News

They do realise the White Australia Policy is long dead
I realise everyone loves to jump on the moral high ground and get their social media activist hat on.

But let's ignore their colour just for a second ( i know its hard to when they are white).

But if the opportunity arises to grab a large group of skilled people who will compliment the Country, from a place that has a demonstrable track record of being able to integrate easily into the country, why wouldn't you do it?

We already do it via skilled migration visas anyway.

The literal only downside appears to be some people getting upset at the colour of their skin?

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
I realise everyone loves to jump on the moral high ground and get their social media activist hat on.

But let's ignore their colour just for a second ( i know its hard to when they are white).

But if the opportunity arises to grab a large group of skilled people who will compliment the Country, from a place that has a demonstrable track record of being able to integrate easily into the country, why wouldn't you do it?

The literal only downside appears to be some people getting upset at the colour of their skin?

As long as the colour of someone’s skin is not taken into account, I see no issue of bringing in skills to complement the country. Who cares if they’re white, black or rainbow coloured, as long as they do the job.

And while Dutton is on his high horse about anti-social issues a minority of Sudanese kids cause, maybe he should look at the wonderful work the majority of them do in the community. If he needs someone to point him in the right directions, he only need to seek his colleague Senator Gichuchi.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
As long as the colour of someone’s skin is not taken into account, I see no issue of bringing in skills to complement the country. Who cares if they’re white, black or rainbow coloured, as long as they do the job.

And while Dutton is on his high horse about anti-social issues a minority of Sudanese kids cause, maybe he should look at the wonderful work the majority of them do in the community. If he needs someone to point him in the right directions, he only need to seek his colleague Senator Gichuchi.
Are black farmers being kicked off their land?

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows

The issue is that Dutton clearly has a double standard. If a white person is subject to persecution, he wants to throw open the doors, create a special classification for them, and bring them into the country as quickly as possible. If a brown person is subject to persecution, his preferred option is to send them back to where they came from. The latter is a particularly abhorrent stance, given that we're largely responsible for creating the conditions which forced the refugees to flee Iraq, Afghanistan, and Syria in the first place.

Dutton is a racist pig, with no redeeming qualities that I have ever observed.

I have no problem with white South Africans applying for visas to come to Australia. They could come as skilled migrants, or (potentially) as refugees. Either way, they should not be treated any differently from other people applying for the same visa classifications. They should not be receiving preference just because of the colour of their skin.

jo172

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 23, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio, Redbacks

So i hadn't realised how absolutely moronic our country had become until i read this.

Whats worse is the responses. Either they are Labor trolls or we have a serious intellectual issue going on in our country.

I really hate using the language of "Alt Right" Trump nutters but * me, the snowflake is strong in that one.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
The issue is that Dutton clearly has a double standard. If a white person is subject to persecution, he wants to throw open the doors, create a special classification for them, and bring them into the country as quickly as possible. If a brown person is subject to persecution, his preferred option is to send them back to where they came from. The latter is a particularly abhorrent stance, given that we're largely responsible for creating the conditions which forced the refugees to flee Iraq, Afghanistan, and Syria in the first place.

Dutton is a racist pig, with no redeeming qualities that I have ever observed.

I have no problem with white South Africans applying for visas to come to Australia. They could come as skilled migrants, or (potentially) as refugees. Either way, they should not be treated any differently from other people applying for the same visa classifications. They should not be receiving preference just because of the colour of their skin.
Fairly defamatory comments there Vader.

Australia has a demonstrable track record of accepting people from accross the globe regardless of skin colour.

I assume you are referring to the people who fail to get visas? Why would we keep them here if their claims are false?

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Fairly defamatory comments there Vader.

Australia has a demonstrable track record of accepting people from accross the globe regardless of skin colour.

I assume you are referring to the people who fail to get visas? Why would we keep them here if their claims are false?
I'm referring to Sri Lankans who get turned around at sea, without even having their claims assessed. I'm referring to the many people currently stranded on Manus & Nauru, roughly 80-90% of whom were found to be legitimate refugees.

I'm not against Australia accepting SA farmers in our migrant/refugee intake. I'm against them receiving preferential treatment, given that the claims to refugee status for many other peoples appear to be much stronger.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
As a contrast to Dutton, Julie Bishop's comments are exactly what we should be seeing from our Government Ministers. Bishop has really impressed me as minister for Foreign Affairs, and not just in her attempts to get Dutton to pull his head in. She's the one bright and shining light in this dim, dark, and completely hopeless government.

Her performance has been a massive surprise to me. In opposition, I thought she was little more than an attack dog. I thought that the decision to give her Foreign Affairs would see us at war with someone inside of 12 months. She has turned that perception around 180 degrees, and I now regard her as being the best Foreign Minister we've had in many years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I'm referring to Sri Lankans who get turned around at sea, without even having their claims assessed. I'm referring to the many people currently stranded on Manus & Nauru, roughly 80-90% of whom were found to be legitimate refugees.

I'm not against Australia accepting SA farmers in our migrant/refugee intake. I'm against them receiving preferential treatment, given that the claims to refugee status for many other peoples appear to be much stronger.
I think Australia has made its stance fairly obvious about trying to pay people to get you here quicker.

I know it's easy to focus on Manus but that overlooks all the other refugees that the country does take from all over the world.

However i fail to see how old policies about Manus and Naru male Dutton racist.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
I think Australia has made its stance fairly obvious about trying to pay people to get you here quicker.

I know it's easy to focus on Manus but that overlooks all the other refugees that the country does take from all over the world.

However i fail to see how old policies about Manus and Naru male Dutton racist.
Comments Dutton himself made about preferencing white Saaffies makes him racist.

jo172

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 23, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio, Redbacks
I'm really not going to pretend the Weatherill government in particular (Rann and Foley I will never concede on) did a bit of good for the state.

But when they did something incompetently they didn't go about it half assed. They ****ed it up almost as bad as possible.

Kane McGoodwin You're our go to guy here.

I hadn't heard about their latest accreditation report... but wonder if the medication issues are due to the new automated dispensers which are in the wards, theatres & day areas? There should be no change to the ipharmacy side of things.

Will let you know if I find out something.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
So Facebook approached both parties at the 2016 federal election to use our data. The Libs said no, Labor said yes and yet the Libs are always seen as the bad guys.

Just shows Labor are a dodgy party, the SA, Vic and Qld labor party’s are classic examples.

So Facebook approached both parties at the 2016 federal election to use our data. The Libs said no, Labor said yes and yet the Libs are always seen as the bad guys.

Just shows Labor are a dodgy party, the SA, Vic and Qld labor party’s are classic examples.
Also shows how dodgy Facebook is.

Perhaps Elon Musk is on to something. ;)

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals

How's that any different to the Liberals pandering the likes of Murdoch, Channel 7 etc?

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
How's that any different to the Liberals pandering the likes of Murdoch, Channel 7 etc?
Oh please, can you ever admit fault when it comes to Labor?

Actually why am I wasting my time, we know you don’t answer when it puts your beliefs in an awkward position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back