Over 50's Clique - Nostalgia, Memorabilia, Reflection and Opinion for the Mature Lion.

Remove this Banner Ad

At this one. This game sticks in my mind for a few reasons. Teasdale was reported for a cowardly hit on Gary Wilson, which put him out of the game and the Fitzroy boys ignited in response. Lee Murnane played his best ever game for Fitzroy, Rendell was unstoppable at full forward and Bernie Quinlan was in Brownlow winning form. Great to see Geoff Everett getting plenty of it in this clip. Hard to believe Everett only played a dozen or so games. Also some classic Noel Mugavin moments in this video. I’ve met Noel a couple of times and had a chat about Fitzroy in the years since and he is one of the nicest blokes you could ever meet. He is one of the few players I have ever seen who could be described as a ‘much loved whipping boy.’ He was courageous, could be very damaging and also made us laugh.

Last edited:

Gary Wilson was probably the greatest player I have ever seen. A toss up between him and Bernie Quinlan This is a brilliant interview.

If you are interested, Graeme Teasdale’s cowardly dog act can be seen at the 4 minute mark of this clip.

Last edited:

At this one. This game sticks in my mind for a few reasons. Teasdale was reported for a cowardly hit on Gary Wilson, which put him out of the game and the Fitzroy boys ignited in response. Lee Murnane played his best ever game for Fitzroy, Rendell was unstoppable at full forward and Bernie Quinlan was in Brownlow winning form. Great to see Geoff Everett getting plenty of it in this clip. Hard to believe Everett only played a dozen or so games. Also some classic Noel Mugavin moments in this video. I’ve met Noel a couple of times and had a chat about Fitzroy in the years since and he is one of the nicest blokes you could ever meet. He is one of the few players I have ever seen who could be described as a ‘much loved whipping boy.’ He was courageous, could be very damaging and also made us laugh.

IMO Lee Murnane was a much under-rated player too. Not polished, no pace, looked like an old stager from the bush (instead of the young stager that he was), but just naturally gifted. Muggers couldn't kick to save himself but could win the ball and tough as old boots. These days the country kids have invariably come through the under age rep system and don't look any different to city kids, but in those days you could spot a country kid a mile off.

Either that or admiring himself in the monitor. Saw him on Fox last night. That hairdo was a work of art.
You should see him off camera. He stands around with his chest puffed out looking every inch like the old rooster that he is. I think he is modelling his ‘do’ on Donald Trump.

This happened right in front of me. I was in the Cleanaway box getting served nonstop grog, but I'm pretty sure Les "Salty"Parish came on for his first Lions game to replace Flea and kicked 3 goals or so.

I think Gary was certainly the best pound-for-pound player I've seen - still have no idea why people rave about Barry Cable - but I reckon Bernie Q was the most physically gifted player in my lifetime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 474092 Off to Etihad for their 45th consecutive Vfl/Afl season (I've been going significantly longer). These socks have attended every FFC/BL game I have since the start of the 1974 season.
Time to get off the durries Rosscoe_666 so you can come to the footy for years to come. Might even see us win a few flags in the 2020’s and 2030’s.

Also somewhat saddened to see the occasional aggressive potty mouth stinking up our main board. Empty vessels. Thank heavens for more genteel surrounds of the Over 50’s Clique.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back