Senior 23. Jacob Weitering

Remove this Banner Ad

Not very accountable. Looked really slow and not soft. Very disappointing outing.

He just copped more attention after dominating the hawthorn game.

As far as his kicking goes it is top shelf for a KPP, ridiculously good.
Was absolutely spent last night which is why he struggled to kick that goal. People just don't realize how much he does.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

He just copped more attention after dominating the hawthorn game.

As far as his kicking goes it is top shelf for a KPP, ridiculously good.
Was absolutely spent last night which is why he struggled to kick that goal. People just don't realize how much he does.

Fair enough - he doesn't get a free pass, though. Nor should any other player unless you're in your first two years / inside 20 games. After that, there is a level of expectation. I have faith he can be brilliant again.

Has to stop playing so far behind, he gets caught out on the lead too often.

Anyway, everyone has a shocker once in a while so hopefully its just blowing the cobwebs off...

I think criticism of Weitering is a bit rough. He's a system defender whose strength is reading the play.

Tough to play that way alongside Jones who repeatedly gambles and gets caught out of position, leaving Weitering and others in tough spots to cover. Tough to do that against Richmond, too, who play a uniquely small system based around spotting up fast-moving targets, as well as tackling and defensive pressure. Tough to do that when some of our midifelders are poor at running defensively (Murphy, Cripps) or too young to sustain it (Fisher, Dow), so there's not much assistance. Tough to do that when our focus has been on running forward into offensive transition, and not on helping out defensively. Tough to do that when our tackling and pressure through the midfield is weak, and occasionally non-existent, thus giving his opponents a big advantage in positioning.

That's a heap of excuses. The absolute best players don't need excuses, and I think the frustration with Weitering is that he isn't noticeably better - in fact, he did get caught out a few times yesterday in ways that I haven't seen before. He got outmuscled and he sometimes seems to quit on plays. But he's also young, has some really big positives in his kicking, running and smarts, and is worth the investment.

Yeah the number of people failing to recognise how many people he was covering for deep in defence (namely Marchbank, Mullett and Jones) seems to be roughly equal to the number of people praising Mullett's performance while shitting on Byrne's.

Nobody pays attention to fundamental play any more.

Needs to be dropped, or for better words rotated out for a break every so often. Not a good start, much like last year. Hope he gets back to his debut season but not looking good yet.

We can put forward as many excuses as we want here, but in the one game to date this year, Jacob has mostly rolled on from his efforts last year and that's simply not good enough.

He'll be fine in time and I'd be 'shocked to be sitting here' if Bolton hadn't tabled out what he wants from Jacob a year ago, as some concerns were already presenting. Maybe Jacob just thought it may be a little easier than things have panned out for him to date, but he's smart enough to work things out.

Had a poor first half, but looked better after the main break.

Let's not forget though that he's a 20 year old key position defender with less than 50 games experience. Twenty.

He will be absolutely fine.
Just to put this in perspective, at 20 Bruce Doull was running around in our reserves & Geoff Southby was still playing in the Bendigo League. Meanwhile Weitering was playing on the reigning premiers' #1 KPF, a player who has played 226 games & kicked 541 goals. Said player kicked 4 goals in a winning team which had 71 F50 entries.

For some further perspective, Tiggers' premiership defender David Astbury conceded 5 goals to a player who has 28 games AFL experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to put this in perspective, at 20 Bruce Doull was running around in our reserves & Geoff Southby was still playing in the Bendigo League. Meanwhile Weitering was playing on the reigning premiers' #1 KPF, a player who has played 226 games & kicked 541 goals. Said player kicked 4 goals in a winning team which had 71 F50 entries.

For some further perspective, Tiggers' premiership defender David Astbury conceded 5 goals to a player who has 28 games AFL experience.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Yes sure, but how is he playing? How did he perform last year?
No one is doubting the player Weitering should become, but that makes for another discussion.

Weitering has played almost twice as many games as Marchbank has and I know who I'd sooner have playing for us, down back.
We can all play mute here on Weitering, but his name will start to come up in the media soon enough, should he continue playing like a rabbit in the spotlight.

I'm surprised that Marchbank has been given the licence to run up the ground, as I figured that would have likely become Weitering role.
Anyway, it will be interesting to see how Bolton manages Weitering from here on in.

I think Marchbank has better endurance.
Weiters was playing on a guy who has elite endurance, who runs up and down all game. Not to mention covering teammates out of position.

It wasn't his greatest game but he still worked hard.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think Marchbank has better endurance. Weiters was playing on a guy who has elite endurance, who runs up and down all game. Not to mention covering teammates out of position.
Weiters had a better tank than most key defenders when he rocked up at the club.

Yeah the number of people failing to recognise how many people he was covering for deep in defence (namely Marchbank, Mullett and Jones) seems to be roughly equal to the number of people praising Mullett's performance while shitting on Byrne's.

Nobody pays attention to fundamental play any more.

Mullet used the ball well, Byrne didn't

Yes sure, but how is he playing? How did he perform last year?
No one is doubting the player Weitering should become, but that makes for another discussion.

Weitering has played almost twice as many games as Marchbank has and I know who I'd sooner have playing for us, down back.
We can all play mute here on Weitering, but his name will start to come up in the media soon enough, should he continue playing like a rabbit in the spotlight.

I'm surprised that Marchbank has been given the licence to run up the ground, as I figured that would have likely become Weitering role.
Anyway, it will be interesting to see how Bolton manages Weitering from here on in.
On the one hand we are giving leeway to H Mac because he is a tall, has had injuries & has grown a little bit since arriving at the club, while on the other hand, because Weitering has stayed fit, hardly missed games in his first 2 season & played more good games than bad (including being asked to plug holes in attack), he is not being given the same leeway. In fact he is being expected to play like a seasoned defender every week in a defence made up of mostly inexperienced defenders.

As has been noted by other posters, there was a time not so long ago when the Richmond defender you wanted matched up on your key forward & who you wanted the ball in their hands most was Alex Rance. He was almost an extra player for us when we played Richmond.

71 x F50 entries. 4 goals to Riewoldt, 4 goals to Townsend, 3 goals to Butler, 3 goals to Caddy, yet Weitering seems to be the only one being put under the microscope. I would suggest we give him another 2-3 years before, as one poster suggested, we decide that Weitering is not up to AFL standard.

On the one hand we are giving leeway to H Mac because he is a tall, has had injuries & has grown a little bit since arriving at the club, while on the other hand, because Weitering has stayed fit, hardly missed games in his first 2 season & played more good games than bad (including being asked to plug holes in attack), he is not being given the same leeway. In fact he is being expected to play like a seasoned defender every week in a defence made up of mostly inexperienced defenders.

As has been noted by other posters, there was a time not so long ago when the Richmond defender you wanted matched up on your key forward & who you wanted the ball in their hands most was Alex Rance. He was almost an extra player for us when we played Richmond.

71 x F50 entries. 4 goals to Riewoldt, 4 goals to Townsend, 3 goals to Butler, 3 goals to Caddy, yet Weitering seems to be the only one being put under the microscope. I would suggest we give him another 2-3 years before, as one poster suggested, we decide that Weitering is not up to AFL standard.

Weitering came to us as a ready-to-go player. McKay did not. We all know that.

Nowhere have I said that Weitering won't become the player we all see he could and should become, but he has to attack his job with more vigour than he has been doing and it's not just because of this one game, but for the majority of last year.

I want to see Weitering look like a boss on the field and not like a scared kid.....see Petrevski-Seton.
You can't keep showing up your weaknesses, as the opposition will notice and then take advantage of it.

Look forward to writing about how good a game he has next week and even if it's not a great game, just one where he puts his body on the line when required....like Plowman...like Jones...like Marchbank and like Bolton would surely want him to.

Weitering came to us as a ready-to-go player. McKay did not. We all know that.

Nowhere have I said that Weitering won't become the player we all see he could and should become, but he has to attack his job with more vigour than he has been doing and it's not just because of this one game, but for the majority of last year.

I want to see Weitering look like a boss on the field and not like a scared kid.....see Petrevski-Seton.
You can't keep showing up your weaknesses, as the opposition will notice and then take advantage of it.

Look forward to writing about how good a game he has next week and even if it's not a great game, just one where he puts his body on the line when required....like Plowman...like Jones...like Marchbank and like Bolton would surely want him to.
How are we to know that there may be a plan to play Weitering in positions to gain experience and exposure.
He is a jet and maybe a F18 Raptor or something. I would not be surprised if Bolts has big plans for this bloke, we just aren't at liberty to understand why and for how long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back