How many weeks for Douglas?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is like the magic bullett.
In this case the magic body bump that has to be penalised due to soccer and tennis parents.

The way Zach's head snaps back before his body changes direction (and not simultaneously) would suggest there was actually head contact, which would in turn explain the concussion.

A fairly clear angle of the incident, yet people who are convinced it was a fair bump won't be swayed. It's the Bigfooty way

Because clearly Merrett throws his head back during impact :rolleyes: It is ok to smash Essendon players in the head though apparently.

Ethan, please don't be so lazy as to think that the truth lies between two partisan groups. Normally one is right. Douglas should have gotten 4 weeks and 3 with an early plea. However, that doesn't help the bombers either way. I personally just hope someone gives him a 30-second sleep, some dental work and a massive headache next time we play them. I'd prefer if it is done next in the goal square at the end their cheer squad is. Adelaide Oval makes it even more delicious. Of course, early in the game to hurt them with rotations too.

You're a special case of sad when you're calling for retribution for a bump that is just a couple cms off being 'textbook'

How many weeks will the bomber who gives what you're calling for to Douglas going to get?

People who say he went past the ball need to open their eyes.

It's literally at his feet.

If the GF was next week the MRP would say his line did not deviate and was in line with the ball.

Looked like a fair bump to me. Once upon a time players knew how to brace for contact..but Merrett had no idea. If they are going to give weeks for this they really should ban the bump completely coz it really is weak. I can't believe he was concussed..he should have been able to play on. I noticed at the end of the game he was all chirpy and happy (as you are when you win)but certainly did not look ill at ease.

What a load of one-eyed s**t that post is ??

If the roles were reversed you'd be squealing that your player had been hard done by.

Players cannot go and attack the ball now without fear of being suspended. Douglas went to get the ball, went side-on and low and for his efforts he now spends a week on the sidelines.

I understand & sympathise that Merrett got a concussion but it wasn't the result of a dirty act or a reckless action, it was the result of a collision of bodies which is something that will happen in a physical contact sport.

MEMO TO AFL - stop trying to appease Soccer mums !!

This game has become a joke - end of story !!

Douglas tucked his arm for the bump rather than put his arms out to get the ball. That is the difference in what Merrett and Douglas did.

I still havent see any high contact in the bump so it will be interesting to see if they go to the Tribunal (Given the cost is $5,000 off the football department cap its really not a big issue).

Ethan, please don't be so lazy as to think that the truth lies between two partisan groups. Normally one is right. Douglas should have gotten 4 weeks and 3 with an early plea. However, that doesn't help the bombers either way. I personally just hope someone gives him a 30-second sleep, some dental work and a massive headache next time we play them. I'd prefer if it is done next in the goal square at the end their cheer squad is. Adelaide Oval makes it even more delicious. Of course, early in the game to hurt them with rotations too.

The more I think about this, the more I can't believe how ridiculous partisan you must be (let me guess, the 34 were innocent, right?)

I've always found the tendency for wanting retribution a bit barbaric, myself - You see it quite often, especially in cases for a particularly sinister crime - like torture before a murder, or when a kid is involved etc. But the vitriol these cases often invoke, to me, seem just as bad as the heinous crimes that sparked the furore. People often post stuff about how they want to see a perp go through all sorts of unimaginable pain/torture to pay for what they've done. I've never had those kind of inclinations - I actually think those inclinations are systemic and a sympton of the same disease that makes horrible crimes happen in the first place

But even if we were to take the idea that this kind of justice is something that we want in our society, just for argument's sake - what you are proposing is akin to Douglas receiving some kind of medieval torture rack for the crime of rear-ending another car in traffic

So can those here that say he “ran past the ball to bump please explain this image... the ball is right in front of him ffs..

Was he running backwards?!...

And the contact made is shoulder on shoulder.
He had blood coming out of his mouth directly after the incident which would indicate he got hit in the head and this was the cause of the concussion.

Unlucky that Merrett didn’t brace but Douglas was playing the man not going for the ball, so I expect they will uphold the ruling if the Crows appeal.

They won't want to undermine 'their man' so early in the season but the AFL should really appeal against the week, it's a nonsensical penalty, it's 3/4 weeks or it's nothing, & clearly it's not nothing.

what you are proposing is akin to Douglas receiving some kind of medieval torture rack for the crime of
...the best bump so far this season, and likely all season, as the bump will now quietly disappear from the game, RIP THE BUMP.

...the best bump so far this season, and likely all season, as the bump will now quietly disappear from the game, RIP THE BUMP.
Sad but True. Merrett could have played on with no ill-effects IMHO...He was not distressed at all..so the Doctors now have an influence on games. It's called the"Soccer Mum syndrome"

Sad but True. Merrett could have played on with no ill-effects IMHO...He was not distressed at all..so the Doctors now have an influence on games. It's called the"Soccer Mum syndrome"
You have won the stupidest person in the thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well... we better ban the bump altogether then.. as well as tackles, high marking and anything else that could possibly cause “the head to jerk to one side” through impact with something or someone.

As mentioned above...you're not the first to say that. The current policy is about minimising risk while keeping within the spirit of the game...Is that good enough? Well, it is for now, and let's hope it remains so.

A hit to the body is LESS LIKELY to lead to concussion, but as I've pointed out, it doesn't mean it can't happen.

You have won the stupidest person in the thread.
You know what ..Your an Essendon supporter you are emotional and biased. It was a straight forward bump..it was legal and effective.
So in truth you are in fact the most stupid of individuals. So put that in your coffee and HTFU

You know what ..Your an Essendon supporter you are emotional and biased. It was a straight forward bump..it was legal and effective.
So in truth you are in fact the most stupid of individuals. So put that in your coffee and HTFU
I didn't think there was much in it. However he hit the head (according to the umpire) and the player was concussed according to medical experts. So a one week ban makes sense.

But how can you say he "could have played on" if you didn't examine him yourself as a medical professional (which is extremely unlikely given your previous words)?

* this s**t

the fans need to speak up

who are these waankers suspending players for incidental collisions

its gone too far. What Douglas did was brilliant.

how can we stop these **** from completley destroying this game by turning it into netball.

I didn't think there was much in it. However he hit the head (according to the umpire) and the player was concussed according to medical experts. So a one week ban makes sense.

But how can you say he "could have played on" if you didn't examine him yourself as a medical professional (which is extremely unlikely given your previous words)?
I think the replay shows no bump to head. The rest of what you say is fair enough. He just looked after the game like he was jumping out of his skin happy. If he was concussed he just would not have this demeanor. I have been concussed and you just don't feel well period. Any way we will see more of this as the year goes by as sport imitates life..too many rules too many opinions and now we will also see more doctors pull players out of games as they have the duty of care and do not want to be sued by a player now or in the future.

so legal that he was found guilty

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

Well when one of your players gets rubbed out for something as weak..do not complain about it coz it will happen!

if an essendon player hits somones head like douglas did i wouldnt have anything to do whinge about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back