Can Nathan Buckley keep his job beyond 2018

Will Buckley be sacked in 2018?

• Yes - End of Season (Collingwood Fan)

Votes: 16 3.8%
  • Yes - During Season (Collingwood Fan)

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • Yes - End of Season (Non Collingwood Fan)

Votes: 72 17.2%
  • Yes - During Season (Non Collingwood Fan)

Votes: 84 20.1%
  • No - Collingwood Fan

Votes: 72 17.2%
  • No - Non Collingwood Fan

Votes: 155 37.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond desperately needed an inside mid and some outside class. It was a good combo. Collingwood needed Treloar, but he needs to clean up his disposal. Collingwood has far greater problems than Adam Treloar. He isn't their problem. They are coming from a long way back with an incompetent coach at the helm.
missed my point.
Im saying Collingwood gave up too much for him when they thought he could be the cream.
Their recruiting is awful.
Jesse White, Karnesis, Wells just to name a few.
They remind me of the Lions under Voss

missed my point.
Im saying Collingwood gave up too much for him when they thought he could be the cream.
Their recruiting is awful.
Jesse White, Karnesis, Wells just to name a few.
They remind me of the Lions under Voss

They haven't exactly used their first round picks well the past decade either. No guarantee they would have drafted anyone decent.

Which is exactly why he shouldn’t have been re-signed. It is an epic misjudgement. He ain’t a great coach and with our list where it’s at we’re at least a 3 to 5 year rebuild away from top 4. We’ve now missed out on some very highly rated assistant coaches (Stewart dew and could have got Bolton if we moved Bucks on a few years back) to be given clean air and a 5 year period to rebuild from the ground up. The 2 year deal with Buckley just delays the clubs rebuild.
But doesn't it suggest they'll stick with him this year, regardless of results?

You repeatedly lost finals, including to a team that finished 9th. Absolute joke of a club until last year, but full credit to you - a flag is all that matters! Weve been waiting since 1995!!

It is rich though to pretend Hardwick and Buckley werent viewed very similarly up until last year. Hardwick probably viewed even worse because of all the chokejohs from him and Cotch

Its a weird era of football and its not implausible for Buckley to have a Hardwick type turnaround.

only by morons.

Does Collingwood need a new coach or a new strategy? A refurbishment/retooling of the list can be carried out with Buckley at the helm with Pendles mentoring the young players coming in and the club focusing on getting young talent in.

People calling for a clean out have to realise it means you will lose some quality players during the transition.

Well when you see the caliber of players like Shaw and Beams that walked out who gives two shits if Pendles is moved on. He’d have to be the worst captain we’ve had in my life time. Shaw, Moore, Williams, Shaw, Brown, Buckley, Burns and Maxwell were inspirations. Pendles as a captain, well he’s just meh?

Peter Moore already came out and criticised Buckley this year and the decision to put his son down back. Contract year for Darcy, if you are melbourne right now your licking your lips to poach him. Our club is and has been run into the ground for nye on 7 years.

What should have happened last year was Buckley not re-signed, a proper recruiting process for the best available option as coach (Stuart Dew welcome aboard ;) and clean air given to the new coach for the next 3 years as he starts the rebuild process. 2018 should have been an all out tanking year to teach players from the ground up in a new gameplan and play all the youth. The use a top 3 draft pick and free agency to get players that will be their for the next tilt at a flag (2021 at the earliest).

Now we’re gonna get a top 3 draft pick and get no free agents because the gameplan is s**t, player development is atrocious and we have a dud coach that everyone outside of Collingwood know is s**t. Christ we had a genuine premiership coach and it was hard for us to land top free agents until 2009.

Why would anyone be attracted to what we have to offer? Jeremy Howe is a vice captain. That says it all ffs. Lynch would have to be the stupidest person on the planet to leave the suns to come to Collingwood.

From 1983-2009 Richmond made the finals only twice - 1995,2001.

With Hardwick at the helm they made finals in 2013,2014,2015,2017.

The only think ‘lol’ worthy is your pretentiousness and ignorance. Hardwick was in the gun, but even if fired in 2016, he’d have been way more successful than Buckley.

this

There as never ever been more loyalty show to a coach in the history of the AFL, than the loyalty shown by Eddie to Bux.

Hopefully it keeps going for a while yet

But doesn't it suggest they'll stick with him this year, regardless of results?

Oh I get where your coming from now. Yes, sadly it would appear so. But if we’re like 0-12 I’m hopeful some heavy hitters with money and the clout will stand up and cause a spill at board level. It’s been bubbling along for few years in the background, but 5 years with no finals will be the first time in history for the club. I think, I hope, enough will be enough and people will make a move to pressure Ed to knife him. Sadly, Buckley won’t resign under any circumstances cause the guys to proud, and too selfish.

He is simply a dud coach thats been protected from above...

The faster he and Eddie are bounced, the faster the Pies recover, it's really not that hard to see...

The Problem is McGuire constantly throws spin on it (which he is a total pro at) and actually believes the spin himself. The latest being Hardwick and their adjustments etc etc...

Buckly has simply not got the goods to coach an AFL team in any capacity...

Fails at Structures and Game Plan... Self evident.

Fails at Recruiting... Big topic if you look at what they had, who they moved on, who they went after and what they gave up...

Fails at Coaching staff recruiting...

Fails at Team Discipline...
Fails at Self Appraisal...

About 4 years ago a good friend of mine was allowed into the inner sanctum of Collingwood as a fringe assistant with the physio department (Shameless Buckly fan) and he said it back then that they were a boys club and felt that Bucks had his favorites as in a Yeah The Boys type culture and was pretty dismayed at the general approach and team unity... He was so Pro Buckly before this and a staunch supporter but he now repeatedly calls for change...

I don't care all that much if he stays or goes but its fairly damn obvious why The Collingwood Footbal Club is in Sfellow Town!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

only by morons.

Hardwick had been an assistant for years under Clarko. Rebuilt Richmond from nothing to consecutive finals with a list that lacked real depth. Richmond under Hardwick were always on an upward direction. After a poor year Hardwick admitted flaws and overhauled the gameplan.

Buckley has never truly seen himself as the problem. Yet every year since he begun there have always been the same stories in the paper “oh I’ve changed my style this year, I promise I’m really different and improved as a coach”.

Go back and look at the news article in each preseason of the last 4 years. It’s the same story every year. Last night Ling interviews Pendlebury and one of his questions was “so I hear Bucks has really changed his style this year, what changes has he made?”.

Hardwick needed one kick up the ass and he made the changes necessary for tigers to improve. Bucks gets a kick up the ass every year and the same s**t happens every year.

Even without the premiership, their was light years between Hardwick and Bucks in coaching. I seen some aweful Richmond players lift and play above themselves, similar to how Malthouse could get dud players up. I never seen Buckley inspire a dud player to become a dependable and consistent contributor.

And lastly, after Hardwick’s year from hell he turned to a best mate in carracella to come onboard. After 2017, Scott burns (Bucks mate) couldn’t get out of the place quick enough and headed to Hawks to be coached by Clarko. That says it all really. In your darkest hour, your good mate and former Collingwood captain wants nothing to do with the place.

Last edited:
Hardwick had been an assistant for years under Clarko. Rebuilt Richmond from nothing to consecutive finals with a list that lacked real depth. Richmond under Hardwick were always on an upward direction. After a poor year Hardwick admitted flaws and overhauled the gameplan.

Buckley has never truly seen himself as the problem. Yet every year since he begun there have always been the same stories in the paper “oh I’ve changed my style this year, I promise I’m really different and improved as a coach”.

Go back and look at the news article in each preseason of the last 4 years. It’s the same story every year. Last night Ling interviews Pendlebury and one of his questions was “so I hear Bucks has really changed his style this year, what changes has he made?”.

Hardwick needed one kick up the ass and he made the changes necessary for tigers to improve. Bucks gets a kick up the ass every year and the same s**t happens every year.

Even without the premiership, their was light years between Hardwick and Bucks in coaching. I seen some aweful Richmond players lift and play above themselves, similar to how Malthouse could get dud players up. I never seen Buckley inspire a dud player to become a dependable and consistent contributor.

And lastly, after Hardwick’s year from hell he turned to a best mate in carracella to come onboard. After 2017, Scott burns (Bucks mate) couldn’t get out of the place quick enough and headed to Hawks to be coached by Clarko. That says it all really. In your darkest hour, your good mate and former Collingwood captain wants nothing to do with the place.

Very true but the simpletons will say that bux and Hardwick are the same .

Hardwick is along with barrassi malthouse and Matthews is the only personin the history of the afl that has been a premiership player or coach at 3 clubs .

Buckley has the world record for being involved in the most games ever as a coach or a player without ever winning a premiership .

They could not be more different lol

Last edited:
VioletInnocentCattle-size_restricted.gif

You have one of Goodwin?

Collingwood need more than a new coach.

They need at least about 5 players:

3. A line breaking runner;

DANIEL WELLS!!!!!
How is Mr. soft tissue doing anyway?

If you can blame Buckley for that, then fair enough call for his head. Otherwise.....

Fremantle and the Dogs have had more concerning performances yet the Pies are still the headline. What gives?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pies lost to a team most thought wouldn't make the 8 or if they did, it would be 7-8 at best.

Dogs lost to the team most think will win the flag

Free lost to a team most agree will contend with the addition of Watts, Rockliff and Motlop.

Buckley deserves to be under the microscope.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/give-110-to-have-damian-hardwick-sacked.1144118/

"Made finals" how did you go in those final series prior to last year? Any good, or humiliating exits?

You won the flag last year, but lets not pretend that before that you were anything other than 'lol richmond'

Hardwick was absolutely in the gun, just like buckley is now

You’re using a fan forum to justify an incorrect point of view. The board challenge didn’t get off the ground and the current regime always said they were supporting him.
Again, Hardwick rebuilt a list which was compared to Fitzroy on its deathbed and rebuilt it. Made finals, and clearly reflected and learned from the process (while we drafted and recruited to suit are needs).
Buckley inherited a premiership list, did no apprenticeship like Hardwick, and performance wise has been on a downward spiral for years. You can’t compare the two coaches.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

I'd wait till Wells, Elliott and De Goey are back in the side. They miss their class immensely and are all best 18 players. He then should be judged.
Yeah we can't judge the guy who has only been in charge for 138 games. Give him some time before rushing to a decision

Back