Teams Cleveland Browns - GPODAWUND [sic]

Remove this Banner Ad

Riskier than Rosen or Mayfield.

I certainly don't think Darnold is a riskier pick. Not picking him is probably the riskiest thing we could do. Since he grades out as almost unanimously the best QB prospect.

If you're picking for next season, then maybe you look at Rosen or Mayfield. They're more pro ready right now. But Darnold's ceiling is far higher.

I certainly don't think Darnold is a riskier pick. Not picking him is probably the riskiest thing we could do. Since he grades out as almost unanimously the best QB prospect.

If you're picking for next season, then maybe you look at Rosen or Mayfield. They're more pro ready right now. But Darnold's ceiling is far higher.

I mean that's just it isn't it. Darnold may have a higher ceiling but he is a lot further from reaching his ceiling than Rosen and Mayfield. He still doesn't understand basic defensive concepts, terrible footwork, and very turnover prone. He's also only a redshirt sophomore and the track record of those scares the hell out of me.

He's more of a projection, and you are relying on this coaching staff to get the most out of his talent. Which is something that I struggle with.

I suppose he's unaminmous according to the Mike Mayocks of the world. But Josh Allen is also a top 5 pick according to those guys. Given Mayocks history of QB evaluations, letting him inform your opinion would be the equivalent of listening to Jason Dunstalls advice on picking footy games.

I really like Sam, and I can see many reasons for why you'd pick him number 1. But him being a safe pick isn't one of them.

I'd argue there isn't a safe pick amongst the QBs. There never is.

Josh Rosen has his own weaknesses, and his are far more concerning when it comes to being a long term franchise QB. He might be 'safe', but I think he has a high floor and low ceiling. Might as well have just thrown money at Kirk Cousins if we wanted a good, but not great QB. The track record of red shirt sophomore QBs might not be great, but Mayfield is fighting an even bigger battle when it comes to the history of both small and spread system QBs. Even though I do like him.

Darnold is the only one that has the arm talent and mobility outside the pocket, plus the ability to win games off his own back. If he's further from his ceiling, that's only because it's so far above the other players.

I'd argue there isn't a safe pick amongst the QBs. There never is.

True. But in the context of the draft, there are inherently more risky picks than others.

Josh Rosen has his own weaknesses, and his are far more concerning when it comes to being a long term franchise QB. He might be 'safe', but I think he has a high floor and low ceiling. Might as well have just thrown money at Kirk Cousins if we wanted a good, but not great QB. The track record of red shirt sophomore QBs might not be great, but Mayfield is fighting an even bigger battle when it comes to the history of both small and spread system QBs. Even though I do like him.

You are falling into the trap of attributing athletic ability to NFL ceiling, when quarterbacking is so much more about the mental aspects of the game. NFL teams do this all the time, they think they can teach players how to process reads, go through progressions and lead a team. But this thinking is backwards though, because the NFL has proven to be absolutely dreadful at developing quarterbacks and it leads to players like DeShone Kizer, Paxton Lynch, Christian Hackenberg, Jamarcus Russell, Kyle Boller and countless other athletic big guys get drafted in the first 2 rounds.

Rosen has an extraordinarily high ceiling. Much higher than Kirk Cousins. He is already so good at mental processing, going through progressions, throwing guys open, picking apart a defence from every level of the field, working in rythym with an offence, making pre and post snap adjustments, footwork within the pocket, to go with absolutely perfect mechanics. The ceiling of a guy with those traits is literally one of the best players in the game. You see somebody with that skill set come out of college once every 5-10 years. Now to be clear, Darnold also has a ceiling to be one of the best in the game, we are very lucky to have the top pick in this class and we can't really go wrong at 1(unless we pick Barkley or Allen).

As for Mayfield, the idea that spread quarterbacks don't translate to the NFL is antiquated. The majority of players coming out of college these days come from spread systems. Even Darnold played 70% of his snaps from shotgun.

Darnold is the only one that has the arm talent and mobility outside the pocket, plus the ability to win games off his own back. If he's further from his ceiling, that's only because it's so far above the other players.

Disagree with the arm talent. Darnold probably has the weakest arm out of him, Rosen and Mayfield. Not that it really matters though, just like athleticism, as long as you have a baseline level then there are much more important things. And Darnold has plenty enough arm.

His ability to win outside of structure is truly special. Its so rare to see a guy make off platform throws so accurately, it's ridiculous. But to be successful in the NFL, you have to be able to win within the pocket. Unlike Rosen and Mayfield, Sam hasn't shown to be able to consistently do that.

He'll need to be taught that, and again I keep coming back to the crux of the argument of why I think Rosen is the safer choice; I do not trust Hue Jackson and this coaching staff to develop a quarterback that needs as much work as Sam does. Whereas it is hard to envision even Hue screwing up Rosen.

Love both prospects, but you're not going to convince me that Darnold is safer, because he just flat out isn't.

Maybe if both so risky, the adage take the BPA should apply. #BPAatNo1
Browns coach Hue Jackson doesn't view Tyrod Taylor as a "bridge quarterback."

"This is the starting quarterback on our team," said Jackson. "There are no 'bridge' players. This guy walks in having more wins than a lot of people in this building. Hopefully, that will rub off on the rest." This is coachspeak, but Taylor looks entrenched as the Week 1 starter. With Cleveland expected to draft a quarterback first overall, Taylor is going to have a short leash.

Source: NBC Cleveland

Take Quenton Nelson at #1. Play with three guards on a 6 man offensive line and let the QB hold onto the ball in the pocket all game.

Can't go 0-16 if we play out nil all draws.

A guard at #1? Better taking Chubb the premium pass rusher if you’re not going with Barkley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno man is it possible the browns aren't even going qb in the draft???

----------

Browns signed QB Drew Stanton, formerly of the Cardinals, to a two-year contract.

Stanton's agent first reported the deal by congratulating his client on social media. Stanton joins a crowded quarterback committee that now consists of the recently acquired Tyrod Taylor, Cody Kessler, and Kevin Hogan. It's likely Kessler or Hogan don't make it out of camp with Cleveland considering the Browns are fully expected to add another quarterback to their roster via the No. 1 or No. 4 pick in April's draft.

Source: Mike McCartney on Twitter

I dunno man is it possible the browns aren't even going qb in the draft???

----------

Browns signed QB Drew Stanton, formerly of the Cardinals, to a two-year contract.

Stanton's agent first reported the deal by congratulating his client on social media. Stanton joins a crowded quarterback committee that now consists of the recently acquired Tyrod Taylor, Cody Kessler, and Kevin Hogan. It's likely Kessler or Hogan don't make it out of camp with Cleveland considering the Browns are fully expected to add another quarterback to their roster via the No. 1 or No. 4 pick in April's draft.

Source: Mike McCartney on Twitter

Come on. This has gone to far.

Drew Stanton isn't stopping anybody from drafting a QB. This only further points to the fact we'll be drafting somebody at 1. Stanton is the perfect mentor. Been around the league, knows what it takes to have a career, but is aware that he's not being paid to compete for the job, he's being paid to set an example for the rookie.

It's #QbAt1 and stop trying to jinx it!

Come on. This has gone to far.

Drew Stanton isn't stopping anybody from drafting a QB. This only further points to the fact we'll be drafting somebody at 1. Stanton is the perfect mentor. Been around the league, knows what it takes to have a career, but is aware that he's not being paid to compete for the job, he's being paid to set an example for the rookie.

It's #QbAt1 and stop trying to jinx it!
Taylor is supposed to be the mentor. Sounds like they signed a back up for the starter they signed. And they still have Kessler and Hogan.

Barkley's the pick at 1

Taylor is supposed to be the mentor. Sounds like they signed a back up for the starter they signed. And they still have Kessler and Hogan.

Barkley's the pick at 1

I will bet anything you want Barkley won't be the pick at 1. I'll give you any odds you want.

Taylor is the starting quarterback, he'll set an example, he'll be a bridge but he has his own career to worry about, he's not going to Bbe in the kids ear 24/7. Stanton is the mentor, like Sanchez was last year for Trubisky. This is another investment in the rookie QB.

Kessler and Hogan have as good a chance of making the 53 man roster I do. Total non-entities.

#QbAt1

The list to date, has anyone been missed ?

Ins (12)
QB Tyrod Taylor
HB Carlos Hyde
WR Jarvis Landry
TE Darren Fells
OT Chris Hubbard
OT Donald Stephenson

DE Chris Smith
CB Terrance Mitchell
CB TJ Carrie
FS Damarious Randall

CB Gaines
QB Stanton

Outs (13)

QB Kizer
OL Sheldon
RB Crowell
OL Thomas
CB McCourty
CB Webb
RB Rounds
OL Banner
OL Cheek
DL Ali'ifua
DL Bevins
LB Cash
DB Hartfield

still want Baker but would be happy with Darnold and not so much Rosen

Allen i might have to give it away

That's pretty much where I'm at except I'd be thrilled with any of Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold.

Josh Allen may be a good quarterback somewhere down the line, but Hue Jackson is not the coach to get him there. I will have the biggest meltdown in BF history if Josh Allen becomes a Brown in 30 days.

Update

Cody Kessler traded to the Jags
Interesting to see how he goes with better team around him, if he gets a chance.

Ins (12)
QB Tyrod Taylor
HB Carlos Hyde
WR Jarvis Landry
TE Darren Fells
OT Chris Hubbard
OT Donald Stephenson

DE Chris Smith
CB Terrance Mitchell
CB TJ Carrie
FS Damarious Randall

CB Gaines